The Romantics in Period Performances

Started by Que, April 09, 2007, 07:07:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FideLeo

HIP for all and all for HIP! Harpsichord for Bach, fortepiano for Beethoven and pianoforte for Brahms!

PaulSC

FideLeo

HIP for all and all for HIP! Harpsichord for Bach, fortepiano for Beethoven and pianoforte for Brahms!

FideLeo

http://www.youtube.com/v/-abbCUMWdVs

[asin]B0000249V2[/asin]

Now that's a beautiful cover for an album.

FideLeo

http://www.youtube.com/v/LtsbiNQlV9E

A considered and well written review for this recording is on the page, too. http://tinyurl.com/6fjwojl

Que

I has been reissued in another coupling:

[asin]B00005V21Q[/asin]

Q

FideLeo

Quote from: Que on February 02, 2011, 10:49:37 PM
I has been reissued in another coupling:

[asin]B00005V21Q[/asin]

Q

Oh good.  It looks that Krehl doesn't sell.  ;)

Que

Quote from: masolino on February 02, 2011, 10:53:28 PM
Oh good.  It looks that Krehl doesn't sell.  ;)

Well, I have the coupling with the Krell and it honestly isn't that hot whilst the Mozart performance is as absolutely stunning as the Brahms.

Q

FideLeo

It appears to me that Lubimov may be temperamentally more suitable for Schubert than for Beethoven. 

http://www.youtube.com/v/JNM_Wrvuavg

[asin]B002ZVM4V0[/asin]

Opus106

Quote from: masolino on February 05, 2011, 10:38:04 AM
It appears to me that Lubimov may be temperamentally more suitable for Schubert than for Beethoven.   

Is it just me, or is he playing more [crudeterminology]right-hand notes in between the left-hand ones[/crudeterminology]? Roughly, from 0:06-0:11.
Regards,
Navneeth

FideLeo

Quote from: Opus106 on February 05, 2011, 10:52:34 AM
Is it just me, or is he playing more [crudeterminology]right-hand notes in between the left-hand ones[/crudeterminology]? Roughly, from 0:06-0:11.

'More' in comparison to what the score specifies?

Anyway, new solo Brahms album on a period instrument here:

[asin]B0049BX026[/asin]

I have the (so far) two volumes played by Hardy Rittner, of which this is from the first:

http://www.youtube.com/v/RFBC4pmNVEw

[asin]B0013PS49U[/asin]

[asin]B001IOMWG2[/asin]

Que

I have his Mozart set and it seems that applies there as well, still very nice though (the Mozart set).
Back to the topic at hand: Lubimov did before a marvelous Schubert disc with Staier(pictured in two guises):

Q

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: Que on February 06, 2011, 01:51:21 AM
I have his Mozart set and it seems that applies there as well, still very nice though (the Mozart set).
Back to the topic at hand: Lubimov did before a marvelous Schubert disc with Staier(pictured in two guises):

Q

IMO Alexei Lubimov is one of the most fascinating keyboardist alive. Unfortunately he has only made a handful of recordings, another late fruit of the Evil Empire, I suppose. So every register by him is something to treasure.

IMO 2: His Mozart es absolutely idiomatic and mandatory. I would even say "essential" if those things existed in real life. The most aristocratic interpretations of Mozart's keyboard music that I have listened to.

FideLeo

Quote from: Que on February 06, 2011, 01:51:21 AM
Back to the topic at hand: Lubimov did before a marvelous Schubert disc with Staier(pictured in two guises)

I used to like Lubimov's Mozart a lot than I do now, and have it in original Erato single discs, all of them.  It's been a while since I heard those but I think they appeal mainly to more genteel tastes.  My feel of Mozart's music is more ambivalent these days.

To the topic at hand: I have only one disc of Schubert four-hand on fortepiano at the moment:

[asin]B0000060AI[/asin]

I haven't thought about buying the Staier-Lubimov disc because I am less interested in their choice of programme I think.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: masolino on February 06, 2011, 04:31:54 AM
I used to like Lubimov's Mozart a lot than I do now, and have it in original Erato single discs, all of them.  It's been a while since I heard those but I think they appeal mainly to more genteel tastes.  My feel of Mozart's music is more ambivalent these days.

To the topic at hand: I have only one disc of Schubert four-hand on fortepiano at the moment:

I haven't thought about buying the Staier-Lubimov disc because I am less interested in their choice of programme I think.

Although between them, they have virtually all of the main works. I have all of the 4 hands music, none of it on fortepiano. But seeing 4 of my favorite artists on these 2 disks is an enticement to spend too much money... :-\

8)

----------------
Now playing:
Chicago Symphony Orchestra / Solti 1972 - Op 125 Symphony #9 in d 1st mvmt - Allegro ma non troppo, un poco maestoso
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Brian

[asin]B002ZVM4V0[/asin]

Oh, goodness, that's beautiful playing. My wallet is cowering in fear.

Drasko

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on February 06, 2011, 02:25:03 AM
IMO Alexei Lubimov is one of the most fascinating keyboardist alive. Unfortunately he has only made a handful of recordings, another late fruit of the Evil Empire, I suppose. So every register by him is something to treasure.

Lubimov's discography is much larger actually, there is some Bach Keyboard Concertos, Capriccios, Toccatas, French Baroque from Louis Couperin to Rameau and Forqueray, English Virginalists (Byrd, Bull, Gibbons), Frescobaldi, some German XVII century stuff, Keyboard Concertos by Bach's sons, early Mozart Concertos played on harpsichord .....
But all of it is stuck on Melodiya LPs, never made to CD. LP rips of some of it can usually be found on various Russian file sharing sites.

Opus106

Quote from: masolino on February 05, 2011, 11:00:25 PM
'More' in comparison to what the score specifies?

More in comparison to my Desert Island Disc of the works, played by Brendel. :) It's almost like Lubimov missed a note, or something. :-\
Regards,
Navneeth

(poco) Sforzando

Quote from: Opus106 on February 06, 2011, 09:16:01 AM
More in comparison to my Desert Island Disc of the works, played by Brendel. :) It's almost like Lubimov missed a note, or something. :-\

He tends at times to strike the melody note fractionally behind the bass note, producing a slight sense of arpeggiation. That practice was I believe noted with some early 20th-century pianists but is largely gone in modern mainstream performance. I suspect that may be what you mean, as I don't hear any actual missed notes.
"I don't know what sforzando means, though it clearly means something."

Opus106

Quote from: Sforzando on February 06, 2011, 09:21:43 AM
He tends at times to strike the melody note fractionally behind the bass note, producing a slight sense of arpeggiation. That practice was I believe noted with some early 20th-century pianists but is largely gone in modern mainstream performance. I suspect that may be what you mean, as I don't hear any actual missed notes.

That was rather silly of me to say that he missed a note, sorry. :-[ Yes, he takes time, and in the gap, it appears that he is playing more notes with the left hand.
Regards,
Navneeth