The Romantics in Period Performances

Started by Que, April 09, 2007, 07:07:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FideLeo

Quote from: Opus106 on February 06, 2011, 09:16:01 AM
More in comparison to my Desert Island Disc of the works, played by Brendel. :) It's almost like Lubimov missed a note, or something. :-\

Looking at the score might help to clarify this even more  :)

HIP for all and all for HIP! Harpsichord for Bach, fortepiano for Beethoven and pianoforte for Brahms!

Opus106

Quote from: masolino on February 06, 2011, 10:19:23 AM
Looking at the score might help to clarify this even more  :)

And looking is all I can do. :(
Regards,
Navneeth

(poco) Sforzando

Quote from: Brian on February 06, 2011, 08:24:01 AM
Oh, goodness, that's beautiful playing. My wallet is cowering in fear.

I agree. It's beautifully phrased. One especially fine moment: how he delays the downbeat at 3:43, when the melody soars to the high G natural. It's a very tricky piece to play, because the texture is so uniform (melody, bass line, inner arpeggios) that in the wrong hands it can easily become monotonous.
"I don't know what sforzando means, though it clearly means something."

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: Drasko on February 06, 2011, 09:10:30 AM
But all of it is stuck on Melodiya LPs, never made to CD. LP rips of some of it can usually be found on various Russian file sharing sites.

It would be great if some day those old LPs were re-released on CD. I have found some of them in the web (Bach, Bach's sons, some French Baroque). Anyway, I would like to see another Lubimov's big project (like his set of Mozart piano sonatas), but then I think that maybe his own personality doesn't naturally tend towards that kind of projects. 

FideLeo

Very 'HIP-sounding' Chopin on a Broadwood fortepiano  :)

http://www.youtube.com/v/GJ5nb7CWsBg

[asin]B000777IQA[/asin]

Love the cats!

HIP for all and all for HIP! Harpsichord for Bach, fortepiano for Beethoven and pianoforte for Brahms!

(poco) Sforzando

Quote from: masolino on February 07, 2011, 11:23:35 AM
Very 'HIP-sounding' Chopin on a Broadwood fortepiano  :)

You like this? What is the "historical" justification for those uneven rhythms in the main theme?

FideLeo

Quote from: Sforzando on February 08, 2011, 03:11:36 AM
You like this? What is the "historical" justification for those uneven rhythms in the main theme?

Go ask Mr Khouri yourself.  It's fun to listen to, historical or not.

(poco) Sforzando

Quote from: masolino on February 08, 2011, 05:18:04 AM
Go ask Mr Khouri yourself.  It's fun to listen to, historical or not.

I'm asking you. I bought one of this guy's other recordings before (used!), a set of Beethoven sonatas, and I was frankly appalled at the rhythmic inaccuracies and distortions (most annoying as I recall in the finale to Op. 27/1). As far as I'm concerned this isn't "historical" performance; it's simply sloppy, and the disc hit the trash after one hearing.

FideLeo

Quote from: Sforzando on February 08, 2011, 05:29:01 AM
I'm asking you.

Me, whatever for?  I didn't perform on those recordings you bought or listened to.  :P

(poco) Sforzando

Quote from: masolino on February 08, 2011, 05:31:48 AM
Me, whatever for?  I didn't perform on those recordings you bought or listened to.  :P

Nor have you performed on any of the dozens of other HIP recordings you have advocated over the years. But since your interests appear to lie primarily in historical performance (and I do appreciate all these YouTubes you've uploaded to let the rest of us sample these recordings), I would hope you'd offer more substantial justification for some of these performances than (as M Forever put it a while back) than "just contributing a few hollow one-liners..."

FideLeo

Quote from: Sforzando on February 08, 2011, 05:39:41 AM
Nor have you performed on any of the dozens of other HIP recordings you have advocated over the years. But since your interests appear to lie primarily in historical performance (and I do appreciate all these YouTubes you've uploaded to let the rest of us sample these recordings), I would hope you'd offer more substantial justification for some of these performances than (as M Forever put it a while back) than "just contributing a few hollow one-liners..."

Don't see where the forum rules state (hollow) one-liners are outlawed... Besides, as you said I have contributed more than one-liners now  :) Now, I think you'd better go to the performers themselves if you need to blame someone for your own response to the music they made.

(poco) Sforzando

Quote from: masolino on February 08, 2011, 05:46:32 AM
Don't see where the forum rules state (hollow) one-liners are outlawed... Besides, as you said I have contributed more than one-liners now  :) Now, I think you'd better go to the performers themselves if you need to blame someone for your own response to the music they made.

Neither I nor anyone else needs to "contact" any performers directly to ask them to explain their interpretations. The recordings have to make their own case, and we are each free to say yea or nay as we see fit. In the present case, there is no other "blame" needed than to respond to the recording itself.

FideLeo

Quote from: Sforzando on February 08, 2011, 05:58:26 AM
Neither I nor anyone else needs to "contact" any performers directly to ask them to explain their interpretations. The recordings have to make their own case, and we are each free to say yea or nay as we see fit. In the present case, there is no other "blame" needed than to respond to the recording itself.

Exactly.  So we agreed not to have the same response to John Khouri's performance here (I have not heard his Beethoven). What more is there that I need to answer for? 

(poco) Sforzando

Quote from: masolino on February 08, 2011, 06:08:52 AM
Exactly.  So we agreed not to have the same response to John Khouri's performance here (I have not heard his Beethoven). What more is there that I need to answer for?

You don't "need" to do anything. I am simply trying to understand what you like in this performance, and so far all you've said is that it is "HIP-sounding" and "fun to listen to," where I find it graceless and crude. If you don't care to respond further, that is obviously your prerogative. But the suggestion to "ask" Khouri himself originated with you.

FideLeo

Quote from: Sforzando on February 08, 2011, 06:21:00 AM
But the suggestion to "ask" Khouri himself originated with you.

You want to know how 'historically-informed' Khouri's interpretation really is, and for that I don't think I can make a more sensible recommendation than to go to the performer himself.  OK?  8) 

edit. To respected moderators: I am not sure that all exchanges here are really on topic. Could you help with the removal if some of them should actually go?

(poco) Sforzando

Quote from: masolino on February 08, 2011, 07:03:41 AM
You want to know how 'historically-informed' Khouri's interpretation really is, and for that I don't think I can make a more sensible recommendation than to go to the performer himself.  OK?  8) 

edit. To respected moderators: I am not sure that all exchanges here are really on topic. Could you help with the removal if some of them should actually go?

I see nothing here that would call for deletion or other moderator intervention.

FideLeo

http://www.youtube.com/v/ws8HzRsFHf0

only available from czech sources I think: such as http://www.arta.cz/index.php?p=f10114en&site=en

Antiquarius Quartet Praga
Václav Návrat - violin (Franz Anton Wild, Brunn 1792)
Simona Tydlitátová - violin (Johann Christian Partl, Wien 1791)
Ivo Anýž - viola (Michael Wuller, Pragae 1785)
Petr Hejný - cello (Pellegrino Zanetto, Brescia 1581)

PaulSC

Quote from: masolino on February 08, 2011, 11:21:25 PM
Antiquarius Quartet Praga
Václav Návrat - violin (Franz Anton Wild, Brunn 1792)
Simona Tydlitátová - violin (Johann Christian Partl, Wien 1791)
Ivo Anýž - viola (Michael Wuller, Pragae 1785)
Petr Hejný - cello (Pellegrino Zanetto, Brescia 1581)

That's an unusually old cello, isn't it?

FideLeo

Quote from: PaulSC on February 08, 2011, 11:55:39 PM
That's an unusually old cello, isn't it?

Since Antiquarius Praga's repertory usually focuses on pre-classical works, the cellist (a gambist too - I have a recording of him doing Abel) may simply use the same cello as when he plays, for example, František Tůma.  Varying bass instruments (e.g. changing a small violone to a bass violin etc.) usually matters less in overall sonority anyway in a performance.

PaulSC

Oh, yes, I didn't mean inappropriately old -- and I don't presume the instrument would sound significantly different than one crafted, say, 75 years later. I just didn't imagine many pre-1600 cellos were still in regular use. And I'm no expert, so it was a genuine question, not a rhetorical one.

Anyway, thanks for posting the clip, I'll listen soon!