The Romantics in Period Performances

Started by Que, April 09, 2007, 07:07:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FideLeo

Quote from: PaulSC on February 09, 2011, 01:09:57 AM
I just didn't imagine many pre-1600 cellos were still in regular use. And I'm no expert, so it was a genuine question, not a rhetorical one.

Anyway, thanks for posting the clip, I'll listen soon!

No problem at all - and thanks for listening.  BTW I've noticed some HIP cellists (e.g. Hidemi Suzuki in Japan; there must be others) frequently play pre-1600 instruments on their recordings.  In Suzuki's case, it is an Andrea Amati c. 1570 which sounds fabulous with gut strings.
HIP for all and all for HIP! Harpsichord for Bach, fortepiano for Beethoven and pianoforte for Brahms!

FideLeo

The National Institute of Frederic Chopin in Warsaw is getting another Erard in their stable, this one made in 1838.  Olejniczak will play at the presentation concert.  Thrilled to think of those future 'Real Chopin' recordings that will be made on it!  :-*

http://en.chopin.nifc.pl/institute/events/news/id/2063
HIP for all and all for HIP! Harpsichord for Bach, fortepiano for Beethoven and pianoforte for Brahms!

prémont

Quote from: masolino on February 09, 2011, 12:33:17 AM
Since Antiquarius Praga's repertory usually focuses on pre-classical works, the cellist (a gambist too - I have a recording of him doing Abel) may simply use the same cello as when he plays, for example, František Tůma.  Varying bass instruments (e.g. changing a small violone to a bass violin etc.) usually matters less in overall sonority anyway in a performance.

Of course they are free to choose the instruments they want. But it is a little special that they call this recording (se the advertising at the Arta home page)

Antonín Dvořák (1841 - 1904)
String Quartets on period instruments

using instruments which are that old (reversed anachronism is still anachronism).
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Que

Quote from: masolino on February 08, 2011, 11:21:25 PM
http://www.youtube.com/v/ws8HzRsFHf0

only available from czech sources I think: such as http://www.arta.cz/index.php?p=f10114en&site=en

Antiquarius Quartet Praga
Václav Návrat - violin (Franz Anton Wild, Brunn 1792)
Simona Tydlitátová - violin (Johann Christian Partl, Wien 1791)
Ivo Anýž - viola (Michael Wuller, Pragae 1785)
Petr Hejný - cello (Pellegrino Zanetto, Brescia 1581)

Quote from: premont on February 09, 2011, 10:58:01 AM
Of course they are free to choose the instruments they want. But it is a little special that they call this recording (se the advertising at the Arta home page)

Antonín Dvořák (1841 - 1904)
String Quartets on period instruments

using instruments which are that old (reversed anachronism is still anachronism).

I have that recording and it is definitely HIP - in terms of playing and of course gut strings - and very nice. Strongly recommended. :)

Q

prémont

Quote from: Que on February 09, 2011, 11:12:34 AM
I have that recording and it is definitely HIP - in terms of playing and of course gut strings - and very nice. Strongly recommended. :)

Q

You can easily convince me that the playing style is HIP (everything is relative), and that the recording from a musical point of view is excellent - it is the term "period instruments" I do not understand in this context. Like playing Brahms on fortepiano.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

(poco) Sforzando

Quote from: premont on February 09, 2011, 12:47:56 PM
Like playing Brahms on fortepiano.

Which cannot be done because he requires the lowest A.
"I don't know what sforzando means, though it clearly means something."

prémont

Quote from: Sforzando on February 09, 2011, 01:06:21 PM
Which cannot be done because he requires the lowest A.

Yes I know, but this is besides my point.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

FideLeo

Quote from: premont on February 09, 2011, 10:58:01 AM

It is not unlikely that all four instruments heard on this recording were in use in that part of the nineteenth century when Dvorak was alive...

Que

Quote from: premont on February 09, 2011, 12:47:56 PM
You can easily convince me that the playing style is HIP (everything is relative), and that the recording from a musical point of view is excellent - it is the term "period instruments" I do not understand in this context. Like playing Brahms on fortepiano.

Quote from: masolino on February 09, 2011, 02:19:14 PM
It is not unlikely that all four instruments heard on this recording were in use in that part of the nineteenth century when Dvorak was alive...

According to the booklet that was indeed the basic idea. They use bows from the early-Romantic era. The term "period instrument" is always rather tricky when strings are concerned - al lot of them used are from the Baroque era anyway... But I'm always very glad with gut strings - makes the biggest difference in sound.

Q

FideLeo

Quote from: Que on February 09, 2011, 10:27:16 PM
But I'm always very glad with gut strings - makes the biggest difference in sound.

Must agree with you there.  I've read a few people talking about how a 'period sound' can be replicated on all-modern instruments by playing them in a special way.  Examples of Antonini, Mackerras et al come to mind.  Not really - not in my own experiences anyway.  Used to the gut string sound, I simply find the steely strings in Mackerras' Mozart (w/Scottish CO) on Linn really hard on ears.  Ended up giving the set to my partner who (and I both) thinks the interpretation is good.

Brian

Hiya, HIPsters!

In case the bottom line of text is too small to read, the pianos used in this new Naxos release are by Caspar Katholnig, Vienna, c. 1805-1810, and Johann Nepomuk Trondlin, Leipzig, 1830. Sounds exciting, especially with the rather surprising prospect of a world premiere Beethoven recording.

FideLeo

A Brahms trio that has been recorded more often on period instruments.  Must be the Waldhorn sound.

http://www.youtube.com/v/9oq2Nez7bxg

Abegg Trio on period instruments

Ulrich Beetz, violin (Lupot 1821)
Geritt Zitterbart, pianoforte (JB Streicher 1864)
Stephan Katte, horn (after Lausmann c. 1800)

image:
Hokusai: Flute Player on Mt. Fuji 葛飾北斎 富士と笛吹童

[asin]B000CSCER2[/asin]

FideLeo

This recording of the 'Arpeggione' sonata (authentically arranged for violin and pianoforte) is worth listening just for the scintillating sound captured off the original 1823 Graf fortepiano, here played by the experienced Jörg Demus.  Thomas Albertus Irnberger also turns in a passionate performance.

http://www.youtube.com/v/NTPAnaSK9Ro

[asin]B002QR0KZ0[/asin]

milk

I'm really glad to find this thread. I'm a bit obsessed with HIP recordings. I have to go through this site more as I'm also interested in seeing discussions of HIP Baroque, Classical and Impressionist music.
I have a lot of questions to ask the experts here and I don't want to be redundant. Let me try out one request:
Has anyone here been following (sorry if it's already in the thread and I missed it) Tobias Koch's recordings of Schumann?
In addition to the solo recordings he has produced he also released a recording that I love with Lisa Landgraf of Schumann's complete works for keyboard and violin (Staier also has a somewhat new recording of Schumann's violin and keyboard music).
I'm wondering if anyone has heard it?
I also recently downloaded an odd recording by Martin Schmeding on a pedal piano of Schumann's pedal piano music. I'm really enjoying it. Sorry, I have to figure out how to put images from amazon in these comments (do you just copy the URL or is there some other way?).
Thanks for the indulgence; sorry if I'm wasting anyone's time here.
Also, the new Lubimov recording of Beethoven's last sonatas is interesting. I like it. I wonder what others think. I've been comparing that to Penelope Crawford's new recording of the same pieces. Looks like they both use a Graf.
Do people here generally hold the Atlantis Trio's/ensemble's recordings in high regard? 
I'd also love to know what people think of the Victoria Mullova & Kristian Bezuidenhout Beethoven recording vs. Linda Nicholson & Hiro Kurosaki and their ongoing Beethoven project.

Que

Lethevich

I'm amazed they managed to fit all that onto two CDs. Looks interesting indeed, I like Vermeulen's Schubert.
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: Que on April 10, 2011, 07:43:07 PM
New issue! :)

Q

Yummy!  :)

Apparently, Vermeulen emigrated to Accent. I also saw this disc with Haydn's lieders:

[asin]B004JZJ878[/asin]

milk

I mentioned this on another thread but since I'm enjoying this at the moment I thought I'd throw it up here:
[asin] B004E2WK6W[/asin]

milk

Quote from: FideLeo on February 01, 2011, 02:38:21 PM
Also

[asin]B0000C8WXY[/asin]

http://www.youtube.com/v/-AwWri7xPPs

I've had the Burman-Hall for a while and enjoyed it but the Cohen recording blew me away. I'm not musically educated so it'd be interesting to read more infirmed comments on it. I guess Cohen's piano really predates Satie and the Burman-hall is more period-accurate. However, Cohen's recording just sends me!

milk

Can anyone comment on this recording? It's on my to-buy list. Should it be?
[asin]B000PGTI8O[/asin]

Does anyone have a comment on the new Schoonderwoerd recoding of Georg Wilhelm Gruber?