The Romantics in Period Performances

Started by Que, April 09, 2007, 07:07:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: toñito on August 30, 2011, 05:20:46 PM
This really looks intriguing: Alfons Kontarsky playing a pianoforte and without his brother Aloys! I don't know Storck, but Linde has faultless HIP credentials.

Well, it is this one, not a new recording, but a great one anyway.

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Gurn Blanston

Toñito,
I don't know if this help you, maybe more than it helped me. All I got was the date, 1974... :-\

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on August 30, 2011, 05:34:00 PM
Toñito,
I don't know if this help you, maybe more than it helped me. All I got was the date, 1974... :-\

8)

No, really not; but I love those Japanese characters!  :)

Que

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on August 30, 2011, 05:13:21 PM
I only have 2 myself, the one you mention and Klaus Storck (Arpeggione) & Alfons Kontarsky (Hammerflügel)  along with Hans-Martin Linde (Traversflöte) & Kontarsky playing the D 802 Trockne Blumen Variations. I really do like the sound of the real deal
Arpeggione, it doesn't sound like a cello!  :)

Quote from: toñito on August 30, 2011, 05:20:46 PM
This really looks intriguing: Alfons Kontarsky playing a pianoforte and without his brother Aloys! I don't know Storck, but Linde has faultless HIP credentials. 

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on August 30, 2011, 05:27:52 PM
Well, it is this one, not a new recording, but a great one anyway.

Wow, Gurn! :) That one does look intriguing! :) Nice programming & performers.

Another one that was on my list of possible candidates. It is combined with guitar pieces, like the one I got.

[asin]B00005LAJT[/asin]

Q

Que

Rather new. Has anyone heard it? :)

[asin]B0049BX026[/asin]

Q

milk

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on August 30, 2011, 05:34:00 PM
Toñito,

8)
The Katakana just repeats what is written in English (Franz Schubert, etc.)

milk

I've got this one. Maybe I should investigate the other ones that have been suggested here.

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: ~ Que ~ on September 06, 2011, 11:05:50 AM
Rather new. Has anyone heard it? :)

[asin]B0049BX026[/asin]

Q

Niiiiice!

Talking about PI, I have wished for a long time a disc played by the fortepianist Federica Valli (La Gaia Scienza) performing some Brahms as a soloist. I'm sure she would do it superbly.

Que

More new stuff - the Chopin Institute is following up with other composers on period instruments in the series "Music of Chopin's time". (This disc at jpc)

Period performances in Romantic piano music seem finally to gather some pace. :)

Q

SonicMan46

Well, I just spent some time reviewing this thread and cannot believe I had not joined ages ago!  So, will now correct this oversight.  I already own a number of recordings mentioned here but certainly would like to supplement my more 'modern' ones w/ PI/HIP performances.

Most recently, I've been enjoying Peter Watchorn's Muscia Omnia website and collecting the offerings by the Atlantis Trio & Ensemble; so far, I own the ones shown below - Jaap Schroder & Penelope Crawford are excellent - this label & some of these discs were brought up a few years back here, but w/ little discussion - must return to that website and see what I may be missing! :)

Que

milk

Quote from: ~ Que ~ on October 13, 2011, 10:11:16 PM
A new release spotted! :) (Challenge) jpc

Q
I'm curious how this compares to Scienza and Atlantis.

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: milk on October 14, 2011, 07:00:16 AM
I'm curious how this compares to Scienza and Atlantis.

I'm not totally sure, but I think La Gaia Scienza has not recorded those piano trios and the Atlantis Trio just one of them (Op. 63).

milk

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on October 14, 2011, 07:30:29 AM
I'm not totally sure, but I think La Gaia Scienza has not recorded those piano trios and the Atlantis Trio just one of them (Op. 63).
Yes that's right. Looking through my recordings, what I have is: Op. 63 by Atlantis and both of these by The Benvenue Fortepiano Trio. Myself, I prefer the Atlantis version of Op. 63 to Huggett's.

milk

I'm thinking this might be my next purchase. It seems many people count 118 and 119 as among their favorite piano pieces. I don't know them as of yet.

Mn Dave

Hey, it's on Spotify. Thanks for mentioning it.

milk

Quote from: Mn Dave on October 15, 2011, 07:40:13 AM
Hey, it's on Spotify. Thanks for mentioning it.
My pleasure. I'll pick it up next week. If you listen before then, let us know what you think.

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: milk on October 15, 2011, 07:59:08 AM
My pleasure. I'll pick it up next week. If you listen before then, let us know what you think.

I have owned this disc for a long time, but, ashamedly, I must confess I don't recall anything about it.  :-[ 

milk

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on October 15, 2011, 08:04:14 AM
I have owned this disc for a long time, but, ashamedly, I must confess I don't recall anything about it.  :-[
I noticed 118 and 119 several times on the "favorite piano works" thread. I don't know...I go into baroque benders that I can't seem to get out of...I'm in one right now. I thought maybe a new romantic purchase would help the situation. Also, I haven't been able to appreciate/understand Brahms much. I picked this up a few months back and haven't been hooked:

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: milk on October 15, 2011, 08:18:29 AM
I noticed 118 and 119 several times on the "favorite piano works" thread. I don't know...I go into baroque benders that I can't seem to get out of...I'm in one right now. I thought maybe a new romantic purchase would help the situation. Also, I haven't been able to appreciate/understand Brahms much. I picked this up a few months back and haven't been hooked:

I'm principally a listener of Baroque music too, but Brahms is one of my favorite composers.

But who knows, perhaps he is simply not your cup of tea. Anyway before you decide this, I will recommend to try again some discs, specially of chamber music (clarinet quintet, his sonatas for violin, clarinet and cello and so) because I don't know if the piano music is the best introduction to his work... and I would give another chance to that wonderful and exhilarating disc by La Gaia Scienza. Actually, I think I will hear it right now.  :)