Classical Guitar Recordings

Started by Bogey, February 10, 2008, 01:49:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Opus131

One of the best performers of Scarlatti on guitar i've encountered on youtube:

Brian

Cross-posted from the Listening thread:

Wow, Meisinger's very personal approach really pays off here. The Tárrega "Capricho Árabe" sounds very convincingly Arabic, full of special effects that Meisinger exaggerates with good taste to enhance the North African feel. His Albéniz "Asturias" is also unique - a slow take (7:44) of a piece that many performers treat as a speed race to show off how fast they can handle its fearsome repeated notes. Meisinger digs especially deep in the final coda. For Carlo Domeniconi's now-classic Koyunbaba, the guitarist takes the composer's advice and improvises a four-minute prelude before reaching the published score.

One peculiar feature of the disc is very, very faint hiss, almost like tape hiss. (I listened in a quiet room on good headphones, over Qobuz, which inserts gaps between tracks; I doubt you'd hear this any other way.)

atardecer

Bach - Double from Lute Suite, BWV 997 - Laurel Harned

"In this metallic age of barbarians, only a relentless cultivation of our ability to dream, to analyze and to captivate can prevent our personality from degenerating into nothing or else into a personality like all the rest." - Fernando Pessoa

Franco_Manitobain

Is anyone familiar with Paul Galbraith? He's coming to my city for a concert on Thursday.

JBS

Quote from: Franco_Manitobain on January 21, 2024, 06:12:16 AMIs anyone familiar with Paul Galbraith? He's coming to my city for a concert on Thursday.

No idea of who he is...but it is good to "see" you!

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: Franco_Manitobain on January 21, 2024, 06:12:16 AMIs anyone familiar with Paul Galbraith? He's coming to my city for a concert on Thursday.

Wonderful and unique guitarist with 8-string guitar.