The Cooke Book

Started by Lethevich, March 19, 2010, 08:53:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scion7

There's at least one gasp left for this thread.
I would like to have his piano chamber pieces recorded and issued.
When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

Christo

... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

vandermolen

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Scion7

Well, the Pleyel Ensemble has rewarded us with several chamber piece CD's over the past few years.

My question is: has anyone hear ever heard a radio broadcast or live performance of a string quartet by him?
What was your impression?

These seem to be completely unavailable.
When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."