Your favourite genre?

Started by Florestan, April 06, 2007, 04:48:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which is your favourite classical music genre?

Symphonic (Symphonies, Tone poems)
43 (58.1%)
Concertos for soloist and orchestra
28 (37.8%)
Chamber music (at least 2 instruments)
38 (51.4%)
Solo instrument (Piano, Violin etc.)
28 (37.8%)
Vocal (Oratorio, Cantata)
13 (17.6%)
Vocal (Lieder)
6 (8.1%)
Vocal (Opera)
16 (21.6%)

Total Members Voted: 74

lukeottevanger

Chamber, solo, lieder, in no order.

Varg

Symphonic/Chamber Music/Solo Instrument (piano).

Not too fond of concertos, and i cant stand vocals in classical music; it seems out of place to me, like a lion in a cage.

quintett op.57

Quote from: Shunk_Manitu_Tanka on April 06, 2007, 05:50:03 PM

Not too fond of concertos, and i cant stand vocals in classical music; it seems out of place to me, like a lion in a cage.
I came to vocal thanks to Haydn (Die Schopfung), a very "instrumental" composer, whose works are mainly symphonies, chamber and solo piano. I think it could be what you need.

DetUudslukkelige

I can't separate myself from any of them! If I must choose 3, then I must go with Symphonic, Concerto and Oratorio/Cantata. The first two need no explaining, as for the last... well, what can I say? Elgar's Dream of Gerontius, Haydn's Die Schöpfung and Handel's Messiah are just three names on my list of favorites that belong to this category.
-DetUudslukkelige

"My heart, which is so full to overflowing, has often been solaced and refreshed by music when sick and weary." - Martin Luther

Hollywood

For me it's Symphonic/Concertos/Solo Instrument.  8)
"There are far worse things awaiting man than death."

A Hollywood born SoCal gal living in Beethoven's Heiligenstadt (Vienna, Austria).

marvinbrown

I stand alone with Vocal (opera), Vocal (leider), solo instrument (piano, violin etc.)  The HUMAN VOICE is an instrument unlike any other. 

marvin

gmstudio

Symphony, string quartet, and I've been on a huge opera kick lately.  Otello, Falstaff, Don Giovanni and Lohengrin in the last 4 days.

Daidalos

Symphony, concerto and opera for me.
A legible handwriting is sign of a lack of inspiration.

sunnyside_up

I picked oratorio/cantata, solo instrument and chamber music....but tomorrow, with the exception of oratorio/cantata, I could just as easily pick different ones.  ;D

Don Giovanni

I voted Chamber. To me, it seems to be the perfect form. Each of the instruments play an important role and the number of instruments gives the composer a great chance for inventiveness. Nevertheless, all the instruments must play an important role because they can each be heard quite clearly. Besides this, many of my favourite works are for String Quartet/Quintet: Beethoven Op. 131, Schubert D. 956, Shostakovich Op. 144.

I suppose valid case could be made for each genre and it's all a matter of opinion.

jochanaan

I love great music--whatever instruments or voices it calls for. :D
Imagination + discipline = creativity

Anne

Opera, chamber, symphonic.  It was hard to omit concerto, oratorio, cantata.  Wish I could miss lieder more but it takes a lot of effort to enjoy it as lately my memory is very poor.

Josquin des Prez

Chamber, solo and polyphonic vocal (duh).

Josquin des Prez

Nah, you are just listening to the wrong century.  ;D

Dancing Divertimentian

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

val

Chamber music comes first. Then, piano music.

Sergeant Rock

I didn't vote...I can't vote. I love music. Period.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Sergeant Rock

What a very...VERY...odd statement. Vocals out of place in Renaissance polyphony? Bach cantatas? Handel oratorios? Haydn masses? Schubert and Schumann songs? Wagner music dramas and Verdi operas? Das Lied von der Erde? Gurrelieder and Pierrot Lunaire? Peter Grimes? How can you possibly write a classical song, anthem, mass, or opera without using the purest and most basic musical instrument: the human voice?

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Varg

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on April 14, 2007, 03:28:12 AM
What a very...VERY...odd statement. Vocals out of place in Renaissance polyphony? Bach cantatas? Handel oratorios? Haydn masses? Schubert and Schumann songs? Wagner music dramas and Verdi operas? Das Lied von der Erde? Gurrelieder and Pierrot Lunaire? Peter Grimes? How can you possibly write a classical song, anthem, mass, or opera without using the purest and most basic musical instrument: the human voice?

Sarge

Out of place, yes, to me!

Manon

Solo instrument (Although i play violin, i don't choose violin concerts.I like cello's sound more!!) and Vocal (Opera)