Wolfgang Mitterer (b. 1958)

Started by petrarch, April 02, 2010, 04:46:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

petrarch

Wolfgang Mitterer is an austrian composer and organist, well-known for his use of electronics. The first release that put him on my radar was Obsoderso, where in conjunction with Wolfgang Puschnig's altosax he uses the very uncommon combination of organ with live electronics and computers, and the results are just astounding.

From there I figured it was worthwhile checking his other releases and recently got another 3 CDs:

1. The 2004 Darmstadt summer courses CD is wholly dedicated to him, with works for organ and electronics.

2. Im Sturm, for baritone, electronics and prepared piano, a suite based on songs by Schubert.

3. Music for checking e-mails, a long collage-like series of pieces with material drawn from Col Legno's classical catalogue (e.g. Bruckner), processed, transformed and combined with the requisite electronics.

Sonically, an outstanding set of CDs, with music that is engaging, exploratory, a treat for the ears.
//p
The music collection.
The hi-fi system: Esoteric X-03SE -> Pathos Logos -> Analysis Audio Amphitryon.
A view of the whole

some guy

Thanks for this, petArch. I have none of these, and they all look pretty tasty. (I'm not at home right now and can't check to see what I have. A few bits and pieces here and there.) What else of his do you know and like?

petrarch

Quote from: some guy on April 02, 2010, 09:24:51 PM
Thanks for this, petArch. I have none of these, and they all look pretty tasty. (I'm not at home right now and can't check to see what I have. A few bits and pieces here and there.) What else of his do you know and like?

He has other CDs out there in labels like Kairos and Hat Hut. I've only heard excerpts of those, do I can't really say. But the ones I listed in the opening post are really really good.

Edit: Actually, I've heard Radio Fractal shortly after I got Obsoderso. It was a disappointment.
//p
The music collection.
A view of the whole

kentel

Quote from: petrArch on April 03, 2010, 04:20:31 AM
He has other CDs out there in labels like Kairos and Hat Hut. I've only heard excerpts of those, do I can't really say. But the ones I listed in the opening post are really really good.

A very interesting composer indeed. The best cd I've heard is this one :

Coloured Noise is the name of the (unique) piece : a big mix of sounds coming from everywhere like birdsongs, a strange but soothing atmosphere, and all in all a very coherent and original piece. A kind of musical jungle.

--Gilles

some guy

I just found Music for checking emails in my corner store. It is very good indeed. Now for those other two!!

petrarch

These should be delivered this week. Will report on them later. I was a bit hesitant on Massacre, but the video excerpts on the Col Legno site convinced me to get it.

[asin]B000PDZJLC[/asin]
[asin]B0042CF48K[/asin]
[asin]B003VIZ832[/asin]
[asin]B000JR0DIS[/asin]
//p
The music collection.
A view of the whole

petrarch

Heard this twice this weekend:

[asin]B0042CF48K[/asin]

This is a set of improvisations recorded on 3 different pipe organs in Austria, and then assembled into a cohesive whole. The range of sounds and articulations Mitterer is able to produce makes this a very engaging 50+ minutes of listening. The booklet talks about the organ being a machine--a very complex one at that--and how the composer, renowned for his electroacoustic explorations, switched things around: Instead of using a computer to create sonic textures reminiscent of a church organ, he made the church organ sound like a computer--a very "organic" computer. From all-stops-open clusters to rounded and solid tones coming from the detuned downwards sub-bass 16' in the pedals, fast runs on reeds and 2' and 4' flutes to soft sequences and mixture sounds, this is an excellent treat for the ears.
//p
The music collection.
A view of the whole

ComposerOfAvantGarde

Listening to 'Coloured Noise' right now and bumping this thread because he composes extremely fascinating and colourful music. It's especially cool to hear some contemporary organ music.