The Incredible Walter Piston (1894-1976)

Started by vandermolen, April 04, 2010, 01:27:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

springrite

For some reason I have never heard the much talked about Symphony #2. Of the works I have in my collection, it is the violin concerti that I have listened to the most. But of the works I have heard (I heard it LIVE and then on a radio broadcast, and was my introduction to the composer), the viola concerto left the strongest impression, though I never bought a recording.
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

vandermolen

Quote from: springrite on April 07, 2010, 09:54:19 PM
For some reason I have never heard the much talked about Symphony #2. Of the works I have in my collection, it is the violin concerti that I have listened to the most. But of the works I have heard (I heard it LIVE and then on a radio broadcast, and was my introduction to the composer), the viola concerto left the strongest impression, though I never bought a recording.

I'm sure you'd like Symphony No 2, but try to listen to the Michael Tilson Thomas Boston version on DGG as this is a great performance.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

some guy

The Tilson Thomas has come up several times as the one to get for Piston's second.

I'd like to put in a word for Schwarz, though. There's a cool little jazzy bit that comes up a couple of times in this symphony. No one gives it any swing except Schwarz. For that alone, I'd prefer his. (It's fine in every other way, too, though.)

The Tilson Thomas is otherwise quite good. But his plodding through the jazzy bits ruins the whole experience for me, I can tell you.

vandermolen

Quote from: some guy on April 08, 2010, 11:49:07 AM
The Tilson Thomas has come up several times as the one to get for Piston's second.

I'd like to put in a word for Schwarz, though. There's a cool little jazzy bit that comes up a couple of times in this symphony. No one gives it any swing except Schwarz. For that alone, I'd prefer his. (It's fine in every other way, too, though.)

The Tilson Thomas is otherwise quite good. But his plodding through the jazzy bits ruins the whole experience for me, I can tell you.

Interesting, thanks for that and I will listen to the Schwarz again.  Actually I think it is a very good performance, but for me the best section is the lovely slow movement, and I find that it is more deeply felt in the MTT version, but maybe this is because I first came across the Symphony in this version.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Just listened to Alexander Gauk's recording of Piston's 6th symphony - a very powerfully driven performance, which I thoroughly enjoyed (according to the booklet notes it is two minutes longer than Munch's 1956 recording). It is usually Piston's slow movements I like best, although the brooding opening movement is very powerful, with a poetic contribution from the harp. I know this is a terrible overgeneralisation but sometimes I find the fast movements too 'busy' with too much going on and too many notes - it's these rather relentless sections that I find rather 'academic' or 'dry'. Still, I liked the Symphony, as a whole, very much. The 1961 recording with the USSR State SO, clearly a product of the Khrushchev era cultural thaw.

The recording can be found in the unlikely context of the boxed set below:

Lethevich

Quote from: snyprrr on April 07, 2010, 07:50:21 PM
I mean, what PQ 20th century masterpieces are there after Shosty and Bloch and Martinu?
I don't wish to side-track this thread, but at least the following require consideration: D'Indy, Schnittke, Elgar, Medtner, Enescu, Faure (x2), Korngold.
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

Guido

Snyprrr - I agree about the string sextet - wonderful work with just the "right" amount of pungeant dissonance to fully express Piston's later stylistic voice (leaner, harsher, more searing than his earlier work, whilst retaining the ear for sonority and elegance).
Geologist.

The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away

eyeresist

I have the Naxos release with symphony 4, and may have the 2 & 6 disc - I don't remember. I do remember having the impression that a gutsier, more romantic conductorial approach would sell these symphonies better (that's usually my impression regarding Schwarz).

vandermolen

I managed to find an inexpensive copy of this Delos CD on Amazon - a great find (hey, they stole the title from my GMG Music Forum thread  >:(). I think that Schwarz' performance of 'The Incredible Flutist' (spelt right ;D) Suite is my favourite - the most deeply felt in the lyrical passages and a fine recording. My favourite Piston CD alongside MTT's great version of Symphony No 2 on DGG. The shorter works, including 'Psalm and Prayer of David' are also appealing.

some guy

Lovely though it is, the suite is but a pale shadow of the ballet.

This still seems to be the only performance of the ballet. Fortunately, it's a fabulous performance. (I mean an incredible performance.)

Amazon has several on display. 13 used from $5.34 up. (The transition to the final scene is worth more than that all on its own. Not music that's in the suite.)

Mirror Image

I love Piston's music. Before I got into him, I've heard people, who were obviously detractors of his music, say his music was dry and too cerebral. My opinion is they've never heard Piston's music before, because it's far from those two words. His music is rhythmically and harmonically interesting for me. He wrote a book about harmony if I'm not mistaken. Anyway, his "Symphony No. 2" is obviously his most talked about work, but I enjoy all of his other symphonies and orchestral works that I've heard as well. I also like the concerti or at least the ones I've heard so far, which would be both violin concerti.

He obviously was influenced, like many American composers, by jazz music and the last movement in "Symphony No. 2" is a perfect example of that. I have not heard the much fabled MTT performance everybody is talking about, I came to Piston through Gerard Schwarz. I intend on finding a copy of the MTT recording though. Too bad it's out of print here in the US.

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on June 30, 2010, 08:12:18 PM
I love Piston's music. Before I got into him, I've heard people, who were obviously detractors of his music, say his music was dry and too cerebral. My opinion is they've never heard Piston's music before, because it's far from those two words. His music is rhythmically and harmonically interesting for me. He wrote a book about harmony if I'm not mistaken. Anyway, his "Symphony No. 2" is obviously his most talked about work, but I enjoy all of his other symphonies and orchestral works that I've heard as well. I also like the concerti or at least the ones I've heard so far, which would be both violin concerti.

He obviously was influenced, like many American composers, by jazz music and the last movement in "Symphony No. 2" is a perfect example of that. I have not heard the much fabled MTT performance everybody is talking about, I came to Piston through Gerard Schwarz. I intend on finding a copy of the MTT recording though. Too bad it's out of print here in the US.

The MTT is available here - not too expensively:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sun-Treader-Ruggles/dp/B00000E4IH/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1277968437&sr=1-2

not edward

Quote from: Daverz on April 04, 2010, 04:25:59 AM
I'd think you would also enjoy Symphony No. 4.  Munch did a great recording of Symphony No. 6 for RCA.  The Tilson Thomas recording is definitely the one to have for the 2nd.

Going back a while, but ... anyone have a purchasing link for this disc? I can't find it on my usual sources.
"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."
-- Aaron Copland, The Pleasures of Music

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on June 30, 2010, 11:15:17 PM
The MTT is available here - not too expensively:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sun-Treader-Ruggles/dp/B00000E4IH/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1277968437&sr=1-2

I can get it for $12 here on Amazon in the US, but I'm going to wait. Schwarz's performance is excellent, so at least I can hear it when I want.

Daverz

Quote from: edward on July 01, 2010, 08:01:14 AM
Going back a while, but ... anyone have a purchasing link for this [Munch Piston 6] disc? I can't find it on my usual sources.

cdjapan lists it:

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=BVCC-38467

EDIT: Ah, sorry, it says Out Of Print.  It's not even listed at hmv.co.jp anymore.  It was part of a Japanese BMG Munch series.

I also see it at amazon.jp, where the ASIN is B000K2QL1A, but that's probably not helpful either.

Joe Barron

Quote from: edward on July 01, 2010, 08:01:14 AM
Going back a while, but ... anyone have a purchasing link for this disc? I can't find it on my usual sources.

The Munch recording of the sixth to be available at German Amazon for 22 Euros, which isn't much.

karlhenning

You know, I've got this Naxos disc of chamber music, and I don't know whether I've actually given it a listen yet . . . .

Karl Henning

Quote from: vandermolen on April 04, 2010, 01:27:45 AM
I was very surprised that this composer appears not to have featured yet. I have been listening to his fine wartime Second Symphony (generally considered the best one). The second movement is especially beautiful I think. Piston has a reputation for writing rather dry and 'academic' music but, where the emotion comes through (as in the second movement of Symphony 2), it is all the more affecting for it. Other works I know and like are Symphony No 4, The Incredible Flautist (his best-known work) and the Three New England Sketches, the last one of which 'Mountains' opens just like Vaughan Williams's contemporaneous 9th Symphony of 1958. The Piston Delos CDs are now on Naxos and the one featuring symphonies 2 and 6 would be a good starting point for anyone wanting to investigate this fine composer.

I've only just gotten around to checking out the samples of that Naxos 2nd/6th disc . . . I really need to listen to those two in their entirety . . . .
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

snyprrr

Quote from: karlhenning on July 06, 2010, 10:46:55 AM
You know, I've got this Naxos disc of chamber music, and I don't know whether I've actually given it a listen yet . . . .

The Piano Quintet starts off very well, you'll see, very 'off to sea'. The Sextet and Piano Quartet are perhaps my favorite Piston, very tough, nutty pieces in Piston's growing gloominess of the '60s. I must say I've enjoyed this cd since it came out. I think you might really find a revelation here, Karl.