Sallinen's Navigations

Started by snyprrr, April 09, 2010, 10:17:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cassandra

Did anybody in the UK see "The King Goes Forth to France" when it was done at the RoH way, way back in the 80's I think (and with my memory not being what it was, don't expect accuracy). I remember the staging was imaginative, and the work came over as good stage music. It was also somewhat "modern-ish" in places, but at least it didn't scare the horses. Anybody else have a memory of it, and maybe jog mine along a bit?

Although I have the Ondine recording, I haven't listened to it that often.

vandermolen

Thought I should hear more Sallinen and found this CD cheap second hand on Amazon.

I am especially liking Symphony No 4 - a troubled and darkly eloquent work, reminding me in places of a kind of Nordic Prokofiev (Shostakovich and Kokkonen also came to mind and Sumera in the last movement of the symphony).  Immediately I got to the end of the Symphony I wanted to listen again.  It is approachable but not unchallenging and seems to inhabit a rather ambivalent emotional world, which appeals to me.

Can't get picture to load but it is a Finlandia CD with Symphony 4, Cello Concerto and Shadows featured (Helsinki PO, Okko Kamu, Arto Noras, Cello).
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Karl Henning

His perch, eh? And what of his steelhead trout?

Carry on . . . .
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

snyprrr

Quote from: vandermolen on April 12, 2012, 07:38:33 AM
Thought I should hear more Sallinen and found this CD cheap second hand on Amazon.

I am especially liking Symphony No 4 - a troubled and darkly eloquent work, reminding me in places of a kind of Nordic Prokofiev (Shostakovich and Kokkonen also came to mind and Sumera in the last movement of the symphony).  Immediately I got to the end of the Symphony I wanted to listen again.  It is approachable but not unchallenging and seems to inhabit a rather ambivalent emotional world, which appeals to me.

Can't get picture to load but it is a Finlandia CD with Symphony 4, Cello Concerto and Shadows featured (Helsinki PO, Okko Kamu, Arto Noras, Cello).

I almost wish you'd have gotten the BIS with 4-5. Let's see if any Sallinen is under $5...

vandermolen

Quote from: snyprrr on April 12, 2012, 08:05:06 AM
I almost wish you'd have gotten the BIS with 4-5. Let's see if any Sallinen is under $5...

Is the BIS a better performance?
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

not edward

Quote from: vandermolen on April 12, 2012, 07:38:33 AM

This was available for a while as part of a Finlandia Meet the Composer 2-CD set that added the 5th symphony, the orchestral version of the 3rd quartet and Chamber Music I and III. The other two CDs cannibalized for the 2-CD set are on Amazon, though.

As for the music, those three works are a great Sallinen sampler; I'd agree with the symphony's Shostakovichian and Kokkonen's influences, though every bar sounds like Sallinen to me. I'm probably even fonder of the cello concerto, which to my mind pulls off a very unusual structure very successfully: 20' slow movement followed by a 7' fast finale that dissipates the tension of the slow movement. Fabulous playing from Noras--one of my favourite 'cellists--in it, of course.

I'll leave it up to others to debate the merits of these recordings versus the cpo ones; I recall preferring Kamu last time I compared them in the 4th. The BIS with DePriest is very competitive too, to my mind, and the BIS soundscape suits the music very well.
"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."
-- Aaron Copland, The Pleasures of Music

snyprrr

That CPO Box gets more and more tempting.

snyprrr

Quote from: snyprrr on July 16, 2013, 07:58:18 AM
That CPO Box gets more and more tempting.

I'm almost ready. I haven't heard anything negative, as compared to BIS, or otherwise. I await just some final confirmation.

Brian

BIS CEO Robert von Bahr strikes again with his eClassical daily deal commentary:

"A bassoon player, who had made some sotto voce comments before, stood up, more or less shouting: This cannot be right! I have an F#, but the oboe has an F natural. So which is it??? Whereupon Sallinen, very calmly, stood up in front of the orchestra, saying: Dear xxx, it is called a dissonance. Raucous laughter, noone could play for quite some time."

snyprrr

Quote from: Brian on September 22, 2014, 04:53:13 AM
BIS CEO Robert von Bahr strikes again with his eClassical daily deal commentary:

"A bassoon player, who had made some sotto voce comments before, stood up, more or less shouting: This cannot be right! I have an F#, but the oboe has an F natural. So which is it??? Whereupon Sallinen, very calmly, stood up in front of the orchestra, saying: Dear xxx, it is called a dissonance. Raucous laughter, noone could play for quite some time."

That's the second "stupid musician" quote we've seen here lately. I'm starting to think that people who play anything other than a chordal instrument for a living are just shit for brains?

btw- great CD

I still haven't got the Box yet,- just got the Sibelius Tone Poems,- working my way up to it-

I do somewhat miss that BIS disc with 4 and 5...

not edward

This looks like a useful update to the limited selection of recordings of Sallinen's chamber music:

[asin]B00Q5W3CK2[/asin]

Arto Noras and Ralf Gothoni on the artist list sounds promising too.
"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."
-- Aaron Copland, The Pleasures of Music

snyprrr

Quote from: edward on January 17, 2015, 03:29:01 PM
This looks like a useful update to the limited selection of recordings of Sallinen's chamber music:

[asin]B00Q5W3CK2[/asin]

I still haven't got The Box. :-[ It went up in price as I was over-deliberating,... mm,... happens,...

The new erato

[asin]B00Q5W3CK2[/asin]

I have all the cpo Sallinen as single discs and love them. Finlands greatest symphonist since Sibelius IMO. I will definitely get this disc too sooner or later.

North Star

And Vähälä is a rather nice violinist, even if her Strad turned out to be an Amati.  ::)
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

snyprrr

Cello Concerto (1977)

Again, can anyone give me five paragraphs on this, perhaps especially how it compares with the Holmboe, which you prefer, perhaps? Thanks!