Your Favorite Recordings of Bach's 6 Sonatas for Violin and keyboard

Started by Bulldog, April 22, 2010, 10:36:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: Josquin des Prez on April 22, 2010, 05:13:55 PM
That's an interesting observation. I have to try this set.

It's a very interesting recording indeed, with an extra CD where Watchorn "discusses the circumstances of  Johann Sebastian Bach's tenure as Capellmeister in Cöthen, between 1717 and 1722, when the six sonatas for violin and harpsichord were composed".

You can check out some samples on the MUSICA OMNIA website.

And here you can hear some Watchorn's EXPLANATIONS.

Marc

My old cat woke me far too early this night ....
so I listened to some Bach (yes: these six!), decided to check the forum, found this poll, and lo: decided to vote, too. :)

Goebel/Hill
Kuijken/Leonhardt
Van Dael/Van Asperen
Grumiaux/Jaccottet
Mullova/Dantone

But I only have 9 recordings of them, so ....
the other three are Fryden/ Leonhardt, Podger/Pinnock, Santos/Belder and Suk/Ruzickova (vinyl).
In these works, the latter duo took me by the hand some 24 years ago. :-*

In fact, IMO all 9 household sets have lots of strong points, with only few minor 'disappointments', if any .... I guess the music WINS!

Dancing Divertimentian

Ehnes/Beausejour.  Along with the fine playing there's the stunning recorded sound.
Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

Que

I voted:

Kuijken / Leonhardt

Malgoire / Rannou

I did a little (strictly HIPPI) survey a while ago, but it didn't include all options here.

Q

premont

Quote from: Que on April 22, 2010, 11:59:11 PM
I voted:

Kuijken / Leonhardt

Malgoire / Rannou

These are the two I rate the highest among the five I voted for.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

premont

Antoine and Bulldog

I understand that 24 sets aren´t enough (actually it is 25, I forgot  Lautenbacher/Galling).

Can any of you provide me with a link to the Terakado / Henstra (Denon - I suppose).
Preferably a(n) European source.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Marc

Quote from: premont on April 23, 2010, 04:46:45 AM
Antoine and Bulldog

I understand that 24 sets aren´t enough (actually it is 25, I forgot  Lautenbacher/Galling).

Can any of you provide me with a link to the Terakado / Henstra (Denon - I suppose).
Preferably a(n) European source.
24 sets aren't enough; 25 sets aren't enough.

:P

Phone me when you celebrate your first centennial.

http://www.amazon.de/Bach-Sonate-Violine-Cembalo-Tera/dp/B0000034Q8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1272027650&sr=1-1

premont

Marc and Antoine

Thanks, the tax considerations made me order it from amazon.de (market place) cost incl postage 200 DKr.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Marc

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on April 23, 2010, 05:20:51 AM
That seems your best option; on CD JAPAN US$24.16, but the sh. & h. and taxes would be more expensive. :(
Yeah. And the 2nd-hand options are even more interesting (if one is willing to take the 'risk').

I myself just decided to (ab)use the central Dutch library for this one. :)

Marc

Quote from: premont on April 23, 2010, 05:28:41 AM
Marc and Antoine

Thanks, the tax considerations made me order it from amazon.de (market place) cost incl postage 200 DKr.
Cheerio!

premont

Quote from: Marc on April 22, 2010, 07:24:16 PM

Suk/Ruzickova (vinyl).
In these works, the latter duo took me by the hand some 24 years ago. :-*

Is this their first recording (Supraphon ca 1962) or their second recording (Erato ca 1965).
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

premont

Quote from: Marc on April 23, 2010, 05:31:39 AM
Yeah. And the 2nd-hand options are even more interesting (if one is willing to take the 'risk').

I have run the risk several times during the last year, when all other possibilities were exhausted. I have been completely satisfied in every instance (5 star rating).
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Marc

Quote from: premont on April 23, 2010, 05:36:23 AM
Is this their first recording (Supraphon ca 1962) or their second recording (Erato ca 1965).
It's the Supraphon. I'm not sure if these were ever reissued on cd. I know the Erato's are (Warner/Apex?).

That'll be all for this afternoon, folks. I'm off to the centre of the city. ;)

premont

Quote from: Marc on April 23, 2010, 05:42:45 AM
It's the Supraphon. I'm not sure if these were ever reissued on cd. I know the Erato's are (Warner/Apex?).

Lucky guy, - the Supraphon recording is one of the most beautiful recordings of these works ever made. I never saw it on CD and the Erato recording rereleased on CD (Apex) is just a feeble shadow of the Supraphon.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: premont on April 23, 2010, 05:48:16 AM
Lucky guy, - the Supraphon recording is one of the most beautiful recordings of these works ever made. I never saw it on CD and the Erato recording rereleased on CD (Apex) is just a feeble shadow of the Supraphon.

That's one of the physical principles that supports the entire Nature: the OOP or "never-released on CD" version is always the best.  :) I have the Elatus re-release on CD, which says: "Recorded: Eglise Evangélique Allemande, Paris, 5-10 March, 1969".

premont

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on April 23, 2010, 06:24:35 AM
That's one of the physical principles that supports the entire Nature: the OOP or "never-released on CD" version is always the best.  :) I have the Elatus re-release on CD, which says: "Recorded: Eglise Evangélique Allemande, Paris, 5-10 March, 1969".

I used to own the Supraphon recording lots of years ago - acquired  it 1964 I think, but discarded it, finding it too romantic, - something I regret to day. The Erato, now on Elatus, which is a later recording (admittedly I did not check the accurate recording date), is good, but disappointing to those who knows/knew the Supraphon recording.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Bulldog

The voting time period has closed, and here are your five favorite recordings:

1.  Kuijken/Leonhardt

2.  Podger/Pinnock - Blumenstock/Butt - Laredo/Gould

5.  van Dael/van Asperen - Huggett/Koopman - Holloway/Moroney - Carmignola/Marcon - Grumiaux/Jaccottet -
Ehnes/Beausejour - Malgoire/Rannou - Mullova/Dantone

Scarpia

Just checked my collection.  I don't have an apparently have never heard two of the recordings I voted for.   ???

Marc

Quote from: Scarpia on April 27, 2010, 02:44:01 PM
Just checked my collection.  I don't have an apparently have never heard two of the recordings I voted for.   ???
;D

This poll should be reopened!
At least there are some bronze medals at stake!