The ONE Beethoven Cello Sonata Cycle to Rule Them All!

Started by Brahmsian, June 11, 2014, 10:02:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SonicMan46

TTT after 10 Years! :o

Decided to go through my Beethoven collection in which I have a lot of duplication and triplication (if not more!) - would love to cull some out - starting w/ the Cello Sonatas - actually 4 sets since Orkis & Hardy do both modern and period instrument performances, i.e. 4 discs.

The reviews (attached) for the first 2 CDs are excellent, but cannot find much on the 'dual' presentation - love the idea and the performers have impeccable credentials.  Since this thread hit only one page ten years ago w/ plenty of recommendations (mostly older recordings) - current thoughts on favorites now and the newer offerings?  Dave  ;D

Todd

FFG/Phillips, Yang/Pace, FFG/Gastinel nowadays for me.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Symphonic Addict

Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Jo498

Wispelwey/Lazic (Channel) for energy, Vogler/Canino (Berlin) for more relaxed with beautiful cello sound.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

SonicMan46

Thanks all!  :D  There seems to be a plethora of favorites - below is a list of those 'duos' mentioned, some multiple times (if a x number follows) - and amazingly, a look at Pestomusic shows a number of pages of many others, both old and new recordings, so I'm sure w/ more input this list could be easily expanded.

Now I'm happy with my two MI sets (shown in my post), but would still like a PI performance and not sure that Hardy & Orkis are the best choice - so would appreciate some input on more period instruments duets, both older ones and any newbies?  At the moment, Bylsma - Bilson lead the list below although I've heard complaints of Bilson's fortepiano being in the background w/ a dominant cello sound, don't know?  Dave

QuoteBeethoven Cello Sonatas
Bailey - Dinnerstein
Bylsma - Bilson x 4
Casals - Serkin
Cohen - Coin
Du Pre - Barenboim x 2
Fournier - Gulda
Fournier - Kempff
Fournier - Schnabel
Gastinel - Guy
Hardy - Orkis (both MI/PI) x 2
Karttunen - Hakkila