Beethoven's Piano Sonatas

Started by George, July 21, 2007, 07:27:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

prémont

@Todd, Amazon offers a complete Beethoven set for download in mp3 format, all attributed to Dubravka Tomsic. If this were true, it would be sensational, which is why I'm skeptical. Given your extensive experience with Beethoven sonata collections, can you determine the actual performers?

https://www.amazon.com/Piano-Sonata-Flat-Op-Hammerklavier/dp/B002ZFMQLO
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Todd

Quote from: prémont on April 22, 2024, 05:18:25 AMAmazon offers a complete Beethoven set for download in mp3 format, all attributed to Dubravka Tomsic.

As far as I am aware, Tomsic did not record a complete cycle.  Apple streams Tomsic in a complete set with other pianists as well (below) on the "Classical Masters" label.  I suspect Amazon sells and streams the same thing, just packaged differently.  It could be a different mix, though.

https://music.apple.com/us/album/the-complete-piano-sonatas-of-ludwig-van-beethoven/732877012
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Todd

It is worth noting that Tomsic recorded for Koch Schwann, which is currently a sublabel of Deutsche Grammophon.  DG just released a fourth batch of twelve Koch Schwann recordings in digital format earlier this month, so they are currently working with the catalog.  A direct inquiry with the company whether Tomsic recorded a complete cycle might yield a definitive answer. 
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

AnotherSpin

Quote from: Todd on April 22, 2024, 05:24:56 AMAs far as I am aware, Tomsic did not record a complete cycle.  Apple streams Tomsic in a complete set with other pianists as well (below) on the "Classical Masters" label.  I suspect Amazon sells and streams the same thing, just packaged differently.  It could be a different mix, though.

https://music.apple.com/us/album/the-complete-piano-sonatas-of-ludwig-van-beethoven/732877012

+1

prémont

Quote from: Todd on April 22, 2024, 05:39:48 AMIt is worth noting that Tomsic recorded for Koch Schwann, which is currently a sublabel of Deutsche Grammophon.  DG just released a fourth batch of twelve Koch Schwann recordings in digital format earlier this month, so they are currently working with the catalog.  A direct inquiry with the company whether Tomsic recorded a complete cycle might yield a definitive answer. 

Thanks. I tend to think that if she has recorded a full cycle it was for a small East European label and not for Koch. 
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Holden

From my perspective it's highly unlikely that she has recorded a complete given that she has been a 'house' pianist for a number of obscure labels and they're not the type to do complete cycles. Tomsic is now 84 years old and is still teaching (I believe) in her native slovenia. Check out her Scarlatti.
Cheers

Holden

Madiel

Quote from: prémont on April 22, 2024, 05:18:25 AM@Todd, Amazon offers a complete Beethoven set for download in mp3 format, all attributed to Dubravka Tomsic. If this were true, it would be sensational, which is why I'm skeptical. Given your extensive experience with Beethoven sonata collections, can you determine the actual performers?

https://www.amazon.com/Piano-Sonata-Flat-Op-Hammerklavier/dp/B002ZFMQLO

Technically it actually only lists Tomsic on one track. And then proceeds to list nobody at all on all the other tracks.

The same thing is on YouTube by the way.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

prémont

Quote from: Madiel on Today at 01:39:07 AMTechnically it actually only lists Tomsic on one track. And then proceeds to list nobody at all on all the other tracks.

This is the heading, hinting at Tomsic for all the tracks:

Beethoven - Piano Classics
Dubravka Tomsic

102 SONGS • 10 HOURS AND 56 MINUTES • MAY 01 2009
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Madiel

Quote from: prémont on Today at 01:42:55 AMThis is the heading, hinting at Tomsic for all the tracks:

Beethoven - Piano Classics
Dubravka Tomsic

102 SONGS • 10 HOURS AND 56 MINUTES • MAY 01 2009

Yes I know, but what struck me is that none of the individual tracks after the first one have any information. It turns out that this is partially Amazon's fault - their interface is highly clumsy and basically it's suggesting that Beethoven guest stars on the first track along with Tomsic, whereas it's just Tomsic after that. But in addition to that, we are probably dealing with the kind of release where someone entered the absolute minimum metadata they could get away with.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

prémont

Quote from: Madiel on Today at 01:47:47 AMYes I know, but what struck me is that none of the individual tracks after the first one have any information. It turns out that this is partially Amazon's fault - their interface is highly clumsy and basically it's suggesting that Beethoven guest stars on the first track along with Tomsic, whereas it's just Tomsic after that. But in addition to that, we are probably dealing with the kind of release where someone entered the absolute minimum metadata they could get away with.

You could be correct. I searched YouTube and discovered that multiple sonatas are attributed to Tomsic. However, it's possible they all stem from this flawed Piano Classics release.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Madiel

It turns out that the first 3 sonatas line up perfectly with a single album, where Dubravka Tomsic is listed as performing the Moonlight and Pathetique, followed by Dieter Goldmann playing the Appassionata.

So that is almost certainly the origin. Someone put a bunch of albums together, grabbed the name of the pianist on the first one, and, being a lazy so-and-so who probably barely understood classical music, went no further.

EDIT: In fact over the years there seem to be at least THREE different albums of the Moonlight/Pathetique/Appassionata combination where the first two sonatas are Tomsic, and the Appassionata is someone else's. All of them have the sort of cheap reissue look about them.

prémont

Quote from: Madiel on Today at 01:52:06 AMIt turns out that the first 3 sonatas line up perfectly with a single album, where Dubravka Tomsic is listed as performing the Moonlight and Pathetique, followed by Dieter Goldmann playing the Appassionata.

So that is almost certainly the origin. Someone put a bunch of albums together, grabbed the name of the pianist on the first one, and, being a lazy so-and-so who probably barely understood classical music, went no further.

EDIT: In fact over the years there seem to be at least THREE different albums of the Moonlight/Pathetique/Appassionata combination where the first two sonatas are Tomsic, and the Appassionata is someone else's. All of them have the sort of cheap reissue look about them.

Dieter Goldmann is a fictitious name. I own one of these budget releases where all three sonatas are attributed to Tomsic. However, I question whether it is her playing the Appassionata Sonata. Indeed, she recorded the Appassionata Sonata for the Koch label, but that is a separate recording. Interestingly, the budget Appassionata is much superior to hers.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν