Ihre Favourite Winterreise

Started by Rinaldo, February 02, 2021, 02:13:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mandryka

Aksel Schiøtz Carnegie Hall, 1964 (He was born in 1906)
Really touching - no technique or fire, not even great poetic nuance, but somehow gentle and humane.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Mandryka

Andreas Schmidt's traveller on DG is really alone, isolated. It's devastating in its way, as devastating as Schreier/Richter, and possibly more convincing in the way it builds to an existential crisis. And he does something which I really value and by no means everyone else does: he makes Part 1 as expressive and and psychologically intense as Part 2. Toppest tier.

Mandryka

Quote from: Jo498 on March 20, 2024, 02:10:45 AMGute Nacht is the only long strophic song in the cycle but it has the last stanza in the major. The others are shorter and/or have more contrasts within (e.g. Die Post, Frühlingstraum). (I think the best option is variation within a mostly strophic form like in "Der Lindenbaum".)
Müllerin has more simple strophic songs, I think, and begins with a fairly trite strophic one ("Das Wandern" became a folksy popular song in Germany, although with a slightly changed melodic line), although the only long one is the last one (Des Baches Wiegenlied) where it might fit better.

This requires some creativity of the singer and the accompanist to make little differences "speak". E.g in Gute Nacht the "disappointed hope" in the first 2 returns to minor after major (eg. verses 7+8  vs. 5+6) and of course the last stanza in major.

Benjamin Appl is particularly striking in the strophic songs in Winterreise I think. Exceptional performance all-round, more dramatic than I suggested in my comments on it above.