Author Topic: Recordings That You Are Considering  (Read 2094322 times)

Offline Irons

• Veteran member
Re: Recordings That You Are Considering
« Reply #15800 on: Today at 05:23:37 AM »
Any opinions on Benjamin Frankel? The set of symphonies on CPO have spiked my interest.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

Offline vandermolen

• Silver Subscriber
« Reply #15801 on: Today at 05:53:34 AM »
Any opinions on Benjamin Frankel? The set of symphonies on CPO have spiked my interest.
I think that I have CDs of 1 and 5 and 2 and 3. Haven't listened to them in a long time which perhaps speaks for itself. Having said that I recall a dark, gritty and sombre integrity which might appeal. They are hardly easy listening but will, I suspect, be worth persevering with. My older brother was at school with his step-son I think. He recalled being invited back to the family home and being introduced to a very quiet and sombre looking man (I suspect that Frankel was quite ill by then) who was introduced simply as 'Ben'. I must ask my brother about it. I have to confess that my favourite score by Frankel, which I often play, (the doomed and tragic processional of the finale is terrific) is below. Great cover design as well!
« Last Edit: Today at 05:57:48 AM by vandermolen »
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Offline Baron Scarpia

• Formerly Ratliff
« Reply #15802 on: Today at 05:59:46 AM »

I love that set of symphonies, but I have not listened further, although I have collected his string quartet recordings.

Offline vandermolen

• Silver Subscriber
« Reply #15803 on: Today at 06:02:07 AM »
I love that set of symphonies, but I have not listened further, although I have collected his string quartet recordings.
Well, I must have another listen to those symphonies that I have as well.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Offline JBS

• Veteran member
  • If music be the food of love, play on!
« Reply #15804 on: Today at 06:18:58 AM »
Went looking on Amazon. The CPO set is rather pricey, but this grabbed my attention for $12 plus shipping.

I think the copy I ordered was the last or next to the last new copy on Amazon.

Not the usual CPO cover art!

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Offline André

• Veteran member
« Reply #15805 on: Today at 07:03:12 AM »
Went looking on Amazon. The CPO set is rather pricey, but this grabbed my attention for $12 plus shipping.

Never noticed that one ! In my cart it goes...

I agree with vandermolen’s comment. The film music disc is terrific. The symphonies are a gnarly lot (I have the cpo set) but that’s no reason to dismiss them. I think I’ll do like Jeffrey and put them in the listening pile  :).

Offline MusicTurner

« Reply #15806 on: Today at 07:52:31 AM »

It's probably the best introduction to the composer; then one can decide if one wants the symphonies too etc. Can't say that the symphony set grabbed me, but I've still got it & things might change.
« Last Edit: Today at 07:54:36 AM by MusicTurner »

Offline Baron Scarpia

• Formerly Ratliff
« Reply #15807 on: Today at 07:59:58 AM »
The symphonies are a gnarly lot (I have the cpo set) but that’s no reason to dismiss them.

I like gnarly as a style.

Offline springrite

• Veteran member
  • Currently Listening to:
    Lots of Bach, Brian, Mahler, Rubbra, Beethoven and Buddhist chants
« Reply #15808 on: Today at 08:05:34 AM »
Well, he is a communist or at least a leftist, but not an optimistic one. The "hard struggle" in the music may well have been intended. I would never call his music "enjoyable" but, well worth investigating.

BTW, I did play his May Day Overture on May Day, a month ago.
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

Offline vandermolen

• Silver Subscriber
« Reply #15809 on: Today at 08:41:52 AM »