Author Topic: New Releases  (Read 1516854 times)

Offline Daverz

• Veteran member
  • You can't fool me, it's turtles all the way down!
Re: New Releases
« Reply #9340 on: December 12, 2019, 09:53:45 PM »
I guessed that much about the clarinet sonatas but given that the transcriptions were made by Brahms himself I'm only too willing to hear them. Besides, I have other recordings by Wallin and Pontinen and they are very good. Last but not least, it's been at least a year since I haven't been listening to any Brahms...

The Brahms transcriptions were for viola.

Offline Daverz

• Veteran member
« Reply #9341 on: December 12, 2019, 10:00:22 PM »

Offline Madiel

• Veteran member
    • A musical diary
  • Currently Listening to:
    Whatever's listed in my blog.
« Reply #9342 on: December 13, 2019, 01:41:51 AM »
The Brahms transcriptions were for viola.

I thought this too. It turns out this isn't correct. He did violin transcriptions and they were published, but for some reason they've never had anything like the traction of the viola versions.

I only assume that violin players weren't starving for sonatas. Heck, they weren't even starving for BRAHMS sonatas.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Offline Daverz

• Veteran member
« Reply #9343 on: December 13, 2019, 12:17:33 PM »
I thought this too. It turns out this isn't correct. He did violin transcriptions and they were published, but for some reason they've never had anything like the traction of the viola versions.

Ah, OK, I was relying on Wikipedia.  I'll give these transcriptions a listen, but I'm skeptical of how well they'll work.

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
« Reply #9344 on: December 14, 2019, 05:44:47 AM »

That was fast.

More Behzod!
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Everything dies - Alien Bounty Hunter, The X-Files

Everyone dies - William Barr, United States Attorney General

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
« Reply #9345 on: December 14, 2019, 05:46:38 AM »
A Beethoven complete sonata cycle for Todd to buy, from Konstantin Lifschitz on Alpha
Also for Todd, Daniel-Ben Pienaar tackles "The Long 17th Century" in a mixed 2CD recital

Noted. 

Cover of the Lifschitz:

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Everything dies - Alien Bounty Hunter, The X-Files

Everyone dies - William Barr, United States Attorney General

Offline Alek Hidell

Jazz and classical
« Reply #9346 on: December 14, 2019, 07:40:34 AM »
Re: the Wallin/Pontinen Brahms, are these new recordings or a re-release? Looks to me like it's a re-release of recordings the pair made over twenty years ago - timings appear very similar:

Not that this is necessarily a bad thing, especially if the recordings have been remastered (from that ancient 1998 sound :D) - I'm just curious ...
"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist." - Hélder Pessoa Câmara

Offline Alek Hidell

Jazz and classical
« Reply #9347 on: December 14, 2019, 07:45:26 AM »

I'm on the fence; I fear their playing could be equivocal.

I see what you did there. ;)
"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist." - Hélder Pessoa Câmara

Offline Ras

« Reply #9348 on: December 14, 2019, 11:24:26 AM »

Buchbinder is also releasing a book IN GERMAN about the Diabelli Variations. I can't find any information about any upcoming English translation - but both Alfred Brendel and Barenboim has written books that were available in English. So why not Buchbinder?

"Music is life and, like it, inextinguishable." - Carl Nielsen

Offline Madiel

• Veteran member
    • A musical diary
« Reply #9349 on: December 14, 2019, 01:07:32 PM »
Re: the Wallin/Pontinen Brahms, are these new recordings or a re-release? Looks to me like it's a re-release of recordings the pair made over twenty years ago - timings appear very similar:

Not that this is necessarily a bad thing, especially if the recordings have been remastered (from that ancient 1998 sound :D) - I'm just curious ...

Some digging confirms the recordings are new. Volume 1 has a May 2017 recording date.

Edit: And the same for Volume 2.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2019, 01:10:25 PM by Madiel »
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Offline Alek Hidell

Jazz and classical
« Reply #9350 on: December 14, 2019, 01:59:41 PM »
Some digging confirms the recordings are new. Volume 1 has a May 2017 recording date.

Edit: And the same for Volume 2.

Thanks! I may just have to keep those in mind.

Offline San Antone

• Veteran member
    Machaut Dufay Ockeghem Bach Haydn Mozart Beethoven Liszt Schumann Brahms
« Reply #9351 on: Today at 01:21:21 AM »
Thanks! I may just have to keep those in mind.

This information is from the Chandos website, but I doubt the recorded info is accurate.  The May 2017 date seems more accurate.  In any event they appear to be new recordings and not reissues..

Brahms: Works for Violin & Piano, Vol. 2
Label Catalogue Number:
BIS-2419
Running Time: 01:05:42
UPC Code: 7318599924199

Release Date: December 2019
Originally recorded in December 2019

Ulf Wallin and Roland Pöntinen made their first duo-recording for BIS in 1991 and have released acclaimed recital albums ranging from Schumann and Liszt to Alfred Schnittke, by way of Schoenberg and Hindemith. With the present disc they bring their most recent project to a close: a recording of all the works by Johannes Brahms for violin and piano. These include not only the three well-known and -loved numbered violin sonatas, but also the Scherzo from the so-called F.A.E. Sonata and the composer’s own violin versions of the two sonatas for clarinet and piano. Wallin and Pöntinen open the present disc with Sonata No. 2 in E flat major, Op. 120, composed in 1894 for clarinet and transcribed for the violin a year later. As the clarinet part extends further down than the lowest note on the violin, Brahms made considerable revisions to the clarinet part, which entailed changes in the piano part, and consequently the printing of a new piano score. This is followed by the second and third violin sonatas, in A major and D minor respectively. Both works were composed during the summer of 1886 in Thun in Switzerland and are clearly related, even though they inhabit completely different expressive worlds.

Brahms: Works for Violin & Piano, Vol. 1
Label Catalogue Number:
BIS-2369
Running Time: 66:30
UPC Code: 7318599923697

Release Date: June 2019
Originally recorded in 2019

Asked the question ‘How many sonatas for violin and piano did Johannes Brahms compose?’, many lovers of chamber music would probably answer three, and maybe also add their respective keys and opus numbers. When pressed, a number of them would also remember the so-called F.A.E. Sonata, a collaborative effort by the young Brahms, Albert Dietrich and their mentor Robert Schumann. But very few would probably think of the two Opus 120 sonatas, composed in 1894 for clarinet (or viola) and piano, but a year later published in the composer’s own versions for the violin. As the range of the B flat clarinet goes a fourth lower than that of the violin, Brahms had been forced to make considerable revisions to the clarinet part – which in turn entailed changes in the piano part, and consequently the printing of a new piano score.

The seasoned team of violinist Ulf Wallin and pianist Roland Pöntinen have now decided to record all the Brahms sonatas, and the results are being released on two discs, the first one including the first of the ‘official’ sonatas, No. 1 in G major, Op. 78, the F minor Sonata from Op. 120 and Brahms’s Scherzo from the F.A.E. Sonata. Wallin and Pöntinen round off the programme with transcriptions of two of Brahms’s more lyrical songs.
« Last Edit: Today at 01:23:04 AM by San Antone »

Offline Madiel

• Veteran member
    • A musical diary
« Reply #9352 on: Today at 01:52:24 AM »
Sigh. I suppose I should have stated my source (the booklets from the recordings are available on eClassical, which is where the BIS website directs you), but I don't know why you felt the need to go looking for further information.

The booklets from the recordings say May 2017. That's the most reliable source we're going to find. It's certainly more reliable than the website of a different label, but you could have actually looked at the booklets on the Chandos website. They're sitting there on the "Media" tab.
« Last Edit: Today at 01:54:34 AM by Madiel »