New Releases

Started by Brian, March 12, 2009, 12:26:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian

EARLY MAY

The "Tchaikovsky's Testament" = the set of pieces Op. 72.

This includes

Krenek - Sonata No. 2
Schubert - Hungarian Melody, Allegretto
Schubert/Krenek - completion of Sonata D. 840

10 CDs

cool repertoire there.

Brian

EARLY MAY, PART TWO

Michael Spyres as Vasco da Gama, conducted by Antonello Manacorda, in an opera that was completed just one day before Meyerbeer died. Interesting!

EDIT: Also, it looks like Buffalo/Falletta are starting a Lukas Foss series on Naxos.

Mandryka

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Brian

Madiel

Suddenly I'm interested in John Pickard, whom I've never heard of, because it says "Verlaine Songs" on an album cover.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

premont

Quote from: Brian on March 17, 2024, 02:43:27 PMEARLY MAY

Martin Helmchen belongs to the category of great piano virtuosos who are also interested in early instruments: 'One of the most thrilling moments of my life as a pianist was when I encountered the intact, original Spat & Schmahl tangent piano from 1790. My initial doubts about a pianist of today being able to master such an instrument rapidly gave way to the swelling conviction that here one could make certain things in Bach's music sound in a way that is impossible on both the harpsichord and the modern piano. Everything here subjugated me: the colours, the symbiosis of the characteristics of the harpsichord, clavichord and early piano, the buff stop, the opening up of polyphonic textures.' It is true that this instrument was built forty years after Bach's death, but, Helmchen continues, 'the greatest composers, including Beethoven, complained about the limitations of their instrument, and it's fascinating to play keyboard instruments that were ultimately an extension and improvement of the ones those composers knew'.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Todd

Mr Said knows how to deliver mixed programs, so this intrigues.

A twofer.

The font and the jacket hurt my eyeballs.  Hopefully, though, this is the start of a new cycle, for surely a new Berlin Classics cycle is needed, for that tip-top sound quality alone.

Harmonica recordings excepted, this is one of the twenty least anticipated releases of 2024.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Mandryka

Seems pretty nice actually. He's got a distinctive light bowing style, and the phrasing seems full of life. Here's the booklet

https://static.qobuz.com/goodies/10/000166301.pdf

Mandryka

The piano does some to brinb some extra relief to the first movement of the Waldstein. Again maybe worth checking if you like the music. 

Mandryka

premont

Quote from: Mandryka on February 28, 2024, 09:23:04 AM

Something feels wrong to me - wrong style. It just seems to make the music sound a a bit trivial. But I could be . . . wrong.

https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/9557575--paradigma-medioevo-music-from-14th-century-italy
?
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Mandryka

Quote from: premont on March 27, 2024, 12:23:37 AM?

Well compare and contrast their performance of Andrea da Firenze's Dolce speranza d'amaroso foco with Palatino87. Or Landini's Ochi dolenti with Gothic Voices (A Song for Francesca) or La Revedie - I quite like what they do with the Landini, but somehow the others seem to find more nuance and expressiveness.

Brian

Sawallisch lovers will have a very thorough edition between these two boxes coming in early summer.

Warner 65 CDs, complete album contents available in the images here

Universal 43 CDs, no contents list

Two CDs: the two suites, the Symphonic Dances, and Triifonov's own arrangement of the slow movement from Symphony No. 2

T. D.

The Warner Sawallisch box, going by the title, has no operas, which is a pity because his excellent Capriccio (originally on Decca) appears to fall under the Warner umbrella. The Philips/DG has operas, which is nice.

JBS

Quote from: T. D. on March 27, 2024, 07:44:23 PMThe Warner Sawallisch box, going by the title, has no operas, which is a pity because his excellent Capriccio (originally on Decca) appears to fall under the Warner umbrella. The Philips/DG has operas, which is nice.

Also missing is his Frau ohne Schatten, which was on EMI.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Roy Bland

Que

I never expected to see another release by Fra Bernardo again, they must still be afloat:

Release date in Germany: 5th of April.