New Releases

Started by Brian, March 12, 2009, 12:26:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mandryka

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Mandryka

Mandryka

This is obviously ancient - but new to me. It looks as though it has only now been liberated from the vinyl.

https://www.discogs.com/release/22443079-Ensemble-Vocal-Guillaume-Dufay-Dirig%C3%A9-Par-Ars%C3%A8ne-Bedois-Messes-Polyphoniques-De-LArs-Nova

Mandryka

(After a 60 second trial I can vouch that this sounds very very interesting indeed.)

Todd

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on April 12, 2024, 05:30:54 AMTodd,

How do you find Danny Elfman's classical compositions to be?  I've only ever heard his music for films (which I quite enjoy).  Have you heard any of it?

https://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,31.msg1491193.html#msg1491193
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Brian

Rather unusual release, where every track features Alexandre Tharaud duetting with a different pianist friend:

Translated from German by Google Translate:
Alexandre Tharaud with 22 friends at the piano
"Piano duets are the most intimate type of chamber music," says pianist Alexandre Tharaud, "you perceive very intensively the hidden inner work of your partner on the piano." The album Four Hands presents a different musical partner at Alexandre Tharaud's side on 22 tracks. 18 of the musicians are themselves celebrated pianists, including Mariam Batsashvili, David Fray and Víkingur Ólafsson. Alexandre Tharaud chose each work based on the character and artistic preferences of his counterpart. And so a wide-ranging repertoire emerged from Bach to Glass, which includes Schubert as well as Tchaikovsky, Debussy and Piazzolla. His friends Gautier Capuçon and Philippe Jaroussky as well as the French singer-songwriter Juliette also sat down at the piano with him in the studio.

Brahms: Hungarian Dance No. 5 ▪ Bach: "God's time is the very best time"* ▪ Gabriel Fauré: Dolly Suite ▪ Tchaikovsky: Sleeping Beauty (Waltz) ▪ Ravel: Ma mére l'oye ▪ Bizet: Jeux d'enfants and many more.

Piano: Alexandre Tharaud, Nicholas Angelich, Mariam Batsashvili, Bertrand Chamayou, David Fray, Beatrice Rana, Víkingur Ólafsson and others as well as Gautier Capuçon and Philippe Jarrousky

*Google did an especially good job translating this part!

Brian

I knew about Mahler's reorchestrations of Schumann, which have been recorded several times (most notably by Chailly)...

But I didn't know Mahler reorchestrated Beethoven symphonies!

June release. Wiki has a page about the Ninth but no info about his tinkering with Nos. 3, 5, 7, or the overtures.

Todd

Quote from: Brian on April 14, 2024, 12:13:21 PMI knew about Mahler's reorchestrations of Schumann, which have been recorded several times (most notably by Chailly)...

June release. Wiki has a page about the Ninth but no info about his tinkering with Nos. 3, 5, 7, or the overtures.

If ten Beethoven fans, or Jan Swafford, report that this set is the bomb, I will consider listening.  Anything less will not suffice.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

JBS

Quote from: Brian on April 14, 2024, 12:13:21 PMI knew about Mahler's reorchestrations of Schumann, which have been recorded several times (most notably by Chailly)...

Capriccio has a trailer

Also on Youtube there's a full performance of the Eroica conducted by Vladimir Jurowski

Also a couple of performances/recordings of the Ninth.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Mookalafalas

Quote from: Brian on April 14, 2024, 11:50:40 AMRather unusual release, where every track features Alexandre Tharaud duetting with a different pianist friend:

Translated from German by Google Translate:
Alexandre Tharaud with 22 friends at the piano
"Piano duets are the most intimate type of chamber music," says pianist Alexandre Tharaud, "you perceive very intensively the hidden inner work of your partner on the piano." The album Four Hands presents a different musical partner at Alexandre Tharaud's side on 22 tracks. 18 of the musicians are themselves celebrated pianists, including Mariam Batsashvili, David Fray and Víkingur Ólafsson. Alexandre Tharaud chose each work based on the character and artistic preferences of his counterpart. And so a wide-ranging repertoire emerged from Bach to Glass, which includes Schubert as well as Tchaikovsky, Debussy and Piazzolla. His friends Gautier Capuçon and Philippe Jaroussky as well as the French singer-songwriter Juliette also sat down at the piano with him in the studio.

Brahms: Hungarian Dance No. 5 ▪ Bach: "God's time is the very best time"* ▪ Gabriel Fauré: Dolly Suite ▪ Tchaikovsky: Sleeping Beauty (Waltz) ▪ Ravel: Ma mére l'oye ▪ Bizet: Jeux d'enfants and many more.

Piano: Alexandre Tharaud, Nicholas Angelich, Mariam Batsashvili, Bertrand Chamayou, David Fray, Beatrice Rana, Víkingur Ólafsson and others as well as Gautier Capuçon and Philippe Jarrousky
*Google did an especially good job translating this part!
damn :o . Haver there ever been so many great pianists on a single disk? That certainly doesn't guarantee that it's great, but I'm looking forward to checking it out.
It's all good...

DavidW

I know someone already posted about this but I can't find it...

While the physical release is on Friday, it is already available for streaming.  Despite what I said in another thread I had to give this a bit of a listen...

My early impression is that their tone is even sweeter, clearer than the earlier set.  People seem to say that their live performances have more energy than their early studio efforts.  But I disagree, I think I prefer the earlier studio effort.  Still very good, it is a welcome addition in a somewhat crowded field.