The Record Labels Resources Thread

Started by Que, April 25, 2010, 03:25:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roy Bland

Roy Bland

San Antone

Don't know if this is the best place to put this post; I looked and did not see a "Favorite  LabeLs" thread (maybe if this discussion takes off one can be created).

Mine are:

ECM New Series
Glossa
Zig Zag
Naive
Brilliant
Naxos

Those last two are favorites because they provide a wealth of music at usually budget prices in always decent, sometimes, fantastic performances.

These labels almost always produce something I am interested in.  What about you?  Are there labels you trust more than others?

Florestan

Quote from: San Antone on December 23, 2019, 05:38:55 AM
ECM New Series
Glossa
Zig Zag
Naive
Brilliant
Naxos

Those last two are favorites because they provide a wealth of music at usually budget prices in always decent, sometimes, fantastic performances.

Agreed about Brilliant Classics and Naxos.

Hyperion
cpo
MDG
Genuin
Toccata Classics
BIS
Timpani
Tactus

The last one not always has a good sound but their releases are always interesting to me.
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

San Antone

Quote from: Florestan on December 23, 2019, 05:55:50 AM
Agreed about Brilliant Classics and Naxos.

Hyperion
cpo
MDG
Genuin
Toccata Classics
BIS

cpo and Hyperion are labels I could have included, MDG I like and BIS - but I haven't known about Genuin or Toccata Classics.  Will check them out.   8)

Mirror Image

Quote from: San Antone on December 23, 2019, 05:38:55 AM
Don't know if this is the best place to put this post; I looked and did not see a "Favorite  LabeLs" thread (maybe if this discussion takes off one can be created).

Mine are:

ECM New Series
Glossa
Zig Zag
Naive
Brilliant
Naxos

These labels almost always produce something I am interested in.  What about you?  Are there labels you trust more than others?

Interesting idea, San Antone. I suppose I could give a 'Top 5' list or something along those lines:

Harmonia Mundi
BIS
Hyperion
Warner Classics (especially for their reissues of other labels like Erato, EMI, Virgin Classics, Teldec, etc.)
Alpha

Roy Bland

Carlo Gesualdo

I would like to point out one of my favorite Record of all time vanished died, why why why...

Caliope was like Chateau Margot of good taste at least in Renaissance, did Caliope ever deceived you In the past, I feel so sad there gone, they had Clerks of Oxenford and Jachet the Mantoue Ensemble I.e great ensemble... que du bon j'en pleure  Caliope est mort, qui a tué Caliope, the same thing for Lyricord blast for vinyl they were marvelous...

What kind of sick world we live in, tell me guys this, could be a tread by itself but name Records label you miss now, that were pure magic?

Roy Bland

Que

Quote from: deprofundis on February 03, 2020, 07:28:01 PM
I would like to point out one of my favorite Record of all time vanished died, why why why...

Caliope was like Chateau Margot of good taste at least in Renaissance, did Caliope ever deceived you In the past, I feel so sad there gone, they had Clerks of Oxenford and Jachet the Mantoue Ensemble I.e great ensemble... que du bon j'en pleure  Caliope est mort, qui a tué Caliope, the same thing for Lyricord blast for vinyl they were marvelous...

What kind of sick world we live in, tell me guys this, could be a tread by itself but name Records label you miss now, that were pure magic?

It's founder ended the label in 2010, thinking that the Classical recording industry was dying.

He was wrong, obviously.... Phaia Records briefly took over, managing some poorly executed reissues.

In 2011 French Indésens took over and resurrected the label:

https://www.calliope-records.com/services/

Q

Ratliff

Quote from: deprofundis on February 03, 2020, 07:28:01 PM...

I have an affection for Erato Disques, which disappeared, first absorbed by Warner, who then acquired EMI and rebranded Virgin releases as Erato. Abomination!

Also Telefunken, which became Teldec, and has now been absorbed into Warner.

Que

Quote from: Baron Scapia on February 14, 2020, 11:11:26 PM
I have an affection for Erato Disques, which disappeared, first absorbed by Warner, who then acquired EMI and rebranded Virgin releases as Erato. Abomination!

Also Telefunken, which became Teldec, and has now been absorbed into Warner.

And Philips.....  :'(

The old guard within the electronics company fought a fierce battle to retain the label, which was doing well but didn't fit in the new strategy of focusing on core activities.

Q

Ratliff

Quote from: Que on February 14, 2020, 11:23:15 PM
And Philips.....  :'(

The old guard within the elections company fought a fierce battle to retain the label, which was doing well but didn't fit in the new strategy of focusing on core activities.

Q

Yes, that is another. It was a gradual process, first absorbed into the Polygram group (in the late 70's, I think), continued independent production for a time, then merged into Decca, then the name disappeared.

Roy Bland

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Que on February 14, 2020, 11:08:29 PM
It's founder ended the label in 2010, thinking that the Classical recording industry was dying.

He was wrong, obviously.... Phaia Records briefly took over, managing some poorly executed reissues.

In 2011 French Indésens took over and resurrected the label:

https://www.calliope-records.com/services/

Q
Some wonderful records on that label!  I have some favorites with the Talich Quartet (the more recent incarnation) of Czech music and also of Mendelssohn.
Pohjolas Daughter

Carlo Gesualdo

LINN records is absolutely fabulous mark my words I fully endorsed there recordings

UltraAnalogue Recordings

Hello Everyone,

I've just posted this on the "New Members Thread" but think maybe it's better here...

My name is Edward & I've been a classical music lover since my childhood.... I've been an audiophile for many years & started my own label about 10 years ago: UltraAnalogue Recordings.

I make new recordings of chamber music on 2 track 15 ips analogue tape with the Studer recorders from the pre-digital era. We have built all custom tubed electronics for the Studer A80 and currently offer copies of these tapes thru my website: https://ultraanaloguerecordings.com

I have just decided to offer digital downloads of these recordings since this tape format is really a very specialized niche market. I record only chamber music with violin & cello duos and some trios. My tapes have been well received in the audiophile circles, http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/ultraanalogue-recordings/
& thought the digital downloads maybe of interest to some of your readers... https://ultraanaloguerecordings.com/new/shop-digital-downloads/

I also have some Sample videos on my YouTube channel, UltraAnalogue Recordings. Here is violinst Alena Baeva & Van Cliburn winner Vadym Kholodenko.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boWAZCxwuis&t=984shttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMAP18JwC5o&t=320s   from a recent concert & recording. This is the digital camera sound, the downloads & tapes will have the analogue tape recorded at the same time.

I'm happy to answer any questions you may have..

Edward

Roy Bland

Roy Bland

some guy

Potlatch is having its summer sale in September.

10 euro per disc.

Their website is crap, but their recordings are not.

No digital downloads, but postage is free world-wide.

Some of the people they feature: Andrea Neumann, Jean-Luc Guionnet, Derek Bailey.

potlach.fr