Started by Que, April 25, 2010, 03:25:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roy Bland

Roy Bland

Roy Bland

Roy Bland

Roy Bland

Spotted Horses

What a depressing end Telarc has come to.

After a Brahms discussion I tried to access a set of recordings that I hold in high regard, Mackerras' recording of the Brahms symphonies with the Scottish Chamber Orchestra, Telarc CD-80450. I was disappointed to find it is not in my volume of ripped CDs, and when I went looking for the disc themselves, they were nowhere to be found. Apparently I got rid of the discs assuming I had already ripped them.

Getting those recordings again has been a wild goose chase. Long out of print, there was only sparse availability of absurdly overpriced used copies. I only found one site (qobuz) which had a lossless download, but with no booklet. The booklet is important in this set because it explains the process by which Mackerras sought to recreate Brahms' own performance style. Finally, one popped up on eBay and I snapped it.

But the gorgeous Telarc catalog is basically gone, inaccessible, since their catalog was acquired by a company that has no interest in keeping it on the market.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Roy Bland

Roy Bland

Roy Bland

Roy Bland

Roy Bland

Roy Bland

Roy Bland

Roy Bland

Roy Bland

Roy Bland

Roy Bland