The Record Labels Resources Thread

Started by Que, April 25, 2010, 03:25:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian

FYI I just got a letter from PENTATONE informing me that from now on they should always be referred to in all-caps as PENTATONE rather than PentaTone.

Karl Henning

From now on, I want you all to call me "Loretta" . . . .
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Kontrapunctus

I second Zig Zag Territories. Every disc I've purchased has had wonderful playing and exemplary sound.

and a few others.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Toccata&Fugue on July 23, 2016, 11:15:10 AM
I second Zig Zag Territories. Every disc I've purchased has had wonderful playing and exemplary sound.

and a few others.

Not to mention the frequently encountered original artwork, like on this Mozart disk which is a treasury of it!

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Scion7

CHANDOS is playing with their site.  It's in 'beta' right now.
I get a lot of '404 errors' even with caches of the old site.
Anyway:

http://www.chandos.net/betalog

When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

Mirror Image

I'll be glad when Chandos finishes their site. It looks quite nice.

GioCar

The new Chandos site is online
http://www.chandos.net/home
Quite an improvement from the old one

jlaurson

Quote from: Toccata&Fugue on July 23, 2016, 11:15:10 AM

Thirded. But of course Zig Zag is no more ... or rather: It's now all Alpha... part of the mothership (Outhere)'s cleanup.

mc ukrneal

It looks like Chandos have totally redone their website and are selling other labels (and downloads from other labels). But what REALLY interested me - they appear to have all the booklets to accompany the discs to even the non-Chandos labels. I don't know how far it extends, but I checked a disc from BIS, Naxos and Halle, and all three had the booklet! I can't find booklets on the Naxos website (just the back cover) so this is a major resource for those of us looking for them. I may post this elsewhere as this thread doesn't get much action.
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

millionrainbows

Here is a rather obscure label that has some interesting stuff, especially the electronic music collections. It's Bvhaast records.

http://www.willembreukerkollektief.com

Brian

When and why did Brilliant Classics change from super cheap licensed reissues of old stuff to super cheap new releases of obscure Italian conservatory musicians?

JBS

Quote from: Brian on May 29, 2019, 04:55:41 PM
When and why did Brilliant Classics change from super cheap licensed reissues of old stuff to super cheap new releases of obscure Italian conservatory musicians?

They were  doing the obscure Italian musicians stuff when I started buying at Borders....
Poking into my order history at Arkivmusic, I ordered these two in June 2011, within a couple of months of starting to order online.  I had started buying the Boccherini series at Borders, I think.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Jo498

They had been mixing in (not always) obscure Dutch and occasionally German, central/eastern European and Italian musicians/ensembles already around 2000 when their catalogue was still dominated by licensed reissues. E.g. Klara Würtz on piano, van Belder and Borgstede for harpsichord stuff, Leusink for the Bach cantatas etc.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Carlo Gesualdo

I don't know if this label still active since kind off old nowadays, I was first introduced to this label whit the excellent 'Nicolas Gombert A la in coronation', It was and still is one of my favorite albums. Lately, I spotted another one 'Musica per I Cardinali' it was so good too.

Sometimes smaller label or impressive,  what can I says, anyone familiar whit this label offering for renaissance beside these awesome releases.

Roy Bland

Quote from: Carlo Gesualdo on November 24, 2019, 02:10:28 PM
I don't know if this label still active since kind off old nowadays, I was first introduced to this label whit the excellent 'Nicolas Gombert A la in coronation', It was and still is one of my favorite albums. Lately, I spotted another one 'Musica per I Cardinali' it was so good too.

Sometimes smaller label or impressive,  what can I says, anyone familiar whit this label offering for renaissance beside these awesome releases.
Here it's
http://www.bongiovanni70.it/ecommerce/it

premont

Quote from: Carlo Gesualdo on November 24, 2019, 02:10:28 PM

Presto Classical offers 70 pages of Bongiovanni CDs as download. I already own 5 of these in the shape of physical CDs. Other than these I find very little Medieval or Renaissance music on these pages, and the labels own site is unmanageable
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

ritter

Bongiovanni's main focus has been obscure Italian operatic repertoire—particularly belcanto—, mostly in live recordings from provincial Italian opera houses. They also issue historical vocal and operatic recordings (more so in the LP era than The ancient music releases play AFAIK a marginal role in their catalogue.

Roy Bland