The Record Labels Resources Thread

Started by Que, April 25, 2010, 03:25:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jlaurson

Quote from: erato on April 27, 2010, 03:29:04 AM
Quote from: jlaurson on April 27, 2010, 03:12:00 AM
1.) Where is the Weinberg thread?

2.) Reviewed & raved about (by the Dubster) in the last (or maybe next) Fanfare Mag.

3.) Essay about the interpreter in next Fanfare issues.

4.) Disc here:

Mieczyslaw Weinberg
Viola Sonatas (solo)
+ Viola Sonata (transcr. from Clarinet Sonata)
+ Fyodor Druzhinin, Viola Sonata (solo)
Rebecca Adler
NEOS SACD

The Weinberg thread is here:

http://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,9883.0.html

And it seems like I should get my Fanfare online subscription in order! Who is the Dubster BTW?

Dubster=Jerry Dubins. Although I doubt that that's his official moniker.  ;)

Thanks for the thread-link.

DavidW

Wanted to share the link to Pentatone, a very cool small label that specializes in sacds with some remarkable performances in astounding sound and careful remastering classics done with a love the major labels rarely show.

http://www.pentatonemusic.com/index1.htm

:)

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: erato on April 26, 2010, 11:44:34 PM
But not easy to find a distributor that actually sells these discs. I did a search for some of the titles on some of the usual suspects in countries where the discs are distributed according to the website (no UK distribution BTW); but drew a blank. Let's hope their own webshop soon will be up and running.

Well, I put a big order through the Cantus site itself. I used the email contact: info@cantus-records.com. They informed me about the shipping and handling charges from Spain to Chile. And then I paid my order sending the money through PayPal. Nice and easy.  :)

The new erato

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on April 27, 2010, 09:35:35 AM
Well, I put a big order through the Cantus site itself. I used the email contact: info@cantus-records.com. They informed me about the shipping and handling charges from Spain to Chile. And then I paid my order sending the money through PayPal. Nice and easy.  :)
What were the prices like?

Bulldog

Quote from: DavidW on April 27, 2010, 09:30:43 AM
Wanted to share the link to Pentatone, a very cool small label that specializes in sacds with some remarkable performances in astounding sound and careful remastering classics done with a love the major labels rarely show.

http://www.pentatonemusic.com/index1.htm

I also love this label and its philosophy.

Scarpia

Quote from: Bulldog on April 27, 2010, 01:02:28 PM
I also love this label and its philosophy.

It's essentially Philips.  If I recall correctly it was formed by the staff cut loose when Philips was dissolved by Universal Classics.  And they seem to be doing a Bruckner cycle on SACD with Janowski!

Marc

Quote from: Que on April 26, 2010, 10:17:35 PM
Another Belgian label - HIPPI & Baroque  ;D - is Flora, run by violinist François Fernandez, gambist and conductor Philippe Pierlot and cellist and Rainer Zipperling.

I have some Flora's in da house .... and I love them! (Bach 2cd's solo violin works, Bach 2cd cello suites, Haydn barytone divertimenti.)
Recommended!

Antoine Marchand

Divine Art

I have some excellent discs by Joanna Leach (on square pianos and other domestic instruments) and Peter Katin (Clementi, Schubert and Chopin on P.I.).

Fëanor

Three labels not yet mentioned, (I don't think) ...

Reference Recordings -- audiophile recordings mostly using HDCD technology; most have superb sound quality.

Analekta -- specializing in Canadian conductors and musicians, e.g. Jeanne Lamon & The Tafelmusik Baroque Orchestra

Atma Classique -- another specializing in Canadian performers, e.g. Yannick Nézet-Séguin & Orchestre Métropolitain du Grand Montréal.

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: erato on April 27, 2010, 12:54:51 PM
What were the prices like?

Sorry, Erato. I didn't see your post before. The prices for the discs are excellent; unfortunately, shipping and handling costs were rather expensive in my case. I paid EUR 36 ( :o), but it had a cheaper option for EUR 20, also certified and with tracking (but slower). I prefererred the most expensive option because I bought a lot of discs (considered for a long, long time) and I wanted to be totally sure. Anyway, probably my case will be not a good parameter for you because I'm in Chile and usually my sh. and h. charges are highly expensive. I would recommend you to write directly to Cantus. They are extremely kind people and in my case José Carlos Cabello himself, the founder of the label, replied my questions. They will inform you about prices and other charges.  :) 

The new erato

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on April 28, 2010, 05:11:14 PM
Sorry, Erato. I didn't see your post before. The prices for the discs are excellent; unfortunately, shipping and handling costs were rather expensive in my case. I paid EUR 36 ( :o), but it had a cheaper option for EUR 20, also certified and with tracking (but slower). I prefererred the most expensive option because I bought a lot of discs (considered for a long, long time) and I wanted to be totally sure. Anyway, probably my case will be not a good parameter for you because I'm in Chile and usually my sh. and h. charges are highly expensive. I would recommend you to write directly to Cantus. They are extremely kind people and in my case José Carlos Cabello himself, the founder of the label, replied my questions. They will inform you about prices and other charges.  :)
Thanks, will do in due time!

Teresa

Quote from: Feanor on April 27, 2010, 05:41:25 PM
Three labels not yet mentioned, (I don't think) ...

Reference Recordings -- audiophile recordings mostly using HDCD technology; most have superb sound quality.

Analekta -- specializing in Canadian conductors and musicians, e.g. Jeanne Lamon & The Tafelmusik Baroque Orchestra

Atma Classique -- another specializing in Canadian performers, e.g. Yannick Nézet-Séguin & Orchestre Métropolitain du Grand Montréal.

I second Reference Recordings, I like their LPs the best followed closely by the three SACDs they have released so far.   Also their 176.4kHz HRx's are great but very pricey.  Their 96kHz and 88.2kHz hi-rez downloads from HDTracks are a much better value and sound almost as good.  Heck I even love their MP3's.  Reference Recordings is a top label for both Classical and Jazz.

I would also like to add The Concord Music Group which includes my favorite record label: Telarc.  They have quit releasing SACDs possibly because the USA no longer has a pressing plant.   Since all the Concord Music Group labels still record in high resolution and Telarc and Heads-Up still records in DSD multichannel, I believe in the future some type of multichannel high resolution will be available from Concord Music Group.  In the meantime some of the Concord labels (not Telarc yet) are available in 2 channel stereo hi-rez 96kHz downloads from HDTracks.

Currently new Telarc recordings are only available on CD and MP3 from the Concord website.  There are many Free 320kpbs downloads as well as Videos and Podcasts.

The only Atma I have is an MP3 download of my favorite work by Johan de Meij Symphony No. 1 "The Lord of the Rings" René Joly, Ensemble Vent et Percussion de Québec.  The music is fantastic though I am not very impressed with it sonically.

I haven't tried Analekta yet.

Bulldog

One of the favorite labels for folks on the Bach Cantatas Website is Wildboar Recordings; the company specializes in early and baroque music but extends forward to Schubert.  I've found their recordings combine exceptional production values along with compelling interpretations.

Scarpia

Lyrita

http://www.lyrita.co.uk/

How is it I only found out about the existence of this label in the last few months?  They have some wonderful recordings of obscure and not-so-obscure British music, and the engineering quality of their recordings is exceptional.

George

Just came across this interesting website that does 78 transfers:

http://www.78experience.com/welcome.php?mod=accueil

The 78 rpm experience

The real sound of the 78 rpm ...

No filtering, exact speed, appropriate needle, re-centering for  absolute stability. When all the frequencies are preserved, the results bring out incredible musicality and presence, a true feeling of live performance. The instrumental and interpretative genius of the greatest musicians of the past is finally revealed.

Looks interesting...

Franco

Quote from: George on May 18, 2010, 03:49:21 AM
Just came across this interesting website that does 78 transfers:

http://www.78experience.com/welcome.php?mod=accueil

The 78 rpm experience

The real sound of the 78 rpm ...

No filtering, exact speed, appropriate needle, re-centering for  absolute stability. When all the frequencies are preserved, the results bring out incredible musicality and presence, a true feeling of live performance. The instrumental and interpretative genius of the greatest musicians of the past is finally revealed.

Looks interesting...

It does look interesting but I wish they had audio samples so I could hear the result.  However, the Sampler is only $4.99, so there's not a huge initial investment to listen to a nice selection of what they have to offer.

George

Quote from: Franco on May 18, 2010, 05:49:33 AM
It does look interesting but I wish they had audio samples so I could hear the result.  However, the Sampler is only $4.99, so there's not a huge initial investment to listen to a nice selection of what they have to offer.

Yup, that's precisely what I did. I ordered the sampler. It was free because I am a member of the Richter Yahoo group. Just had to pay shipping. Will report back in the listening thread once I have heard it.

Que

Another treasure trove of Baroque & Classical era rarities is French Ambronay, a label of a cultural centre located in the Abbey of Ambronay. Some top notch ecordings there! :) The link leads to their web shop that provides samples.

Q

snyprrr

oo oo, I got one!

I've been trying to get this Arditti SQ cd (composer Jesus Rueda) from Iberautor,...which also has a factorautor.com (org) address, but I can't seem to order from this site, or contact them, or anything. Can you help me?