The Record Labels Resources Thread

Started by Que, April 25, 2010, 03:25:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on November 19, 2010, 12:35:17 PM
...almost greater than between a Texan and an Englishman.

Since I was not born here, but in a place which puts a premium on precision in speech, I have been known to say that phrase as "greater than between a Texan and an English speaker. :D

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Opus106

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on November 19, 2010, 11:28:47 AM
Thanks, Antoine. I have made a minor discovery with translators (Google and Babelfish). When you are typing in your source verbiage, it is important not to use contractions especially, and to even use some rather labored syntax in English. The translator software can then convert rather well. If you use contractions and 'shortcuts' it will not understand and will not translate nearly as well. :)

8)

Continuing with this off-topic discussion ;) , I just noticed that Google doesn't fret about contracting words when translating a source language into English. When taken on its own, eras was translated to you are; but when it was part of a sentence, it was contracted to you're.

But I agree with what you said, and that's why when posting my earlier reply, I was careful enough not to use apostrophes unnecessarily or to include (lazily) the plural form (of the word recipient) by using the -(s) convention. ;D
Regards,
Navneeth

Que

A nice Italian label with, amongst other things, a lot of Baroque HIP goodies!

(linked)

Just in case someone missed it - they reissued Corti's Bach organ cycle (and 80 euros doesn't sound too bad  :))

Q

Que

This is another label not to be missed for lovers of Early Music & Baroque (click picture below):

A treasure trove, with a good website & webshop. Raumklang has a few sub-labels. like Edition Marc Aurel.

RJR

Piano Society.

Found it while browsing at Clive Heath's this morning.
Includes modern composers. Unknown pianists brought together from around the world.

villa

You should consider High Density Tape Transfer (http://www.highdeftapetransfers.com/storefront.php). These guys sell HQCDs but you can download 24/92 or 24/192 material for some 12-14 dollars. They mostly transfer commercial reels. The result is mostly miraculous; one gets the sound he had dreamt of some 30 years ago! Immediat natural. Its not a graet job to burn them toCDs; my top recommendations are Mahler : Wundernhornlieder (Wynn Moris) Mahler 3. Horenstein, Mahler 4. Szell, Mahler 2. Scherchen Mozart CGO Jochum

Que

A small interesting German label I came across! :) Saw some Early & Baroque Music and recordings of historical organs. And they seem busy reissuing old recordings by the Tölzer Knabenchor under Schmidt-Gaden.

Their listing at jpc HERE.

Q

Que

Two new discoveries of labels that focus on music from the Iberian peninsula! La Ma de Guido and its subsidiary Ars Harmonica focus on Early Spanish and Catalan music, NBmusika focuses also on music from the Basque country, from various periods.

Click logos for more info.

La Mà de Guido

Q

bumtz

Edition RZ - excellent label focusing on new(ish) music: http://edition-rz.de

mc ukrneal

Don't know if anyone has noticed this yet, but Naxos are starting a premium piano label. More can be foumd here: http://www.naxos.com/labels/grandpiano-cd.htm. Interesting.
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Drasko

Does anyone know any European or US source for Weitblick label?

They are German label (mostly German radio recordings) as far as I know but Japan seems to be their only market. With current yen/euro rates not very economic.

Odd copies show up here or there on amazon marketplaces or berkshire, overpriced ones on ebay, but nothing at usual on-line retailers.

jlaurson

apropos to this thread's title and increasingly more so in the future.

Classical:NEXT, Classical Music's new MIDEM

http://ionarts.blogspot.com/2012/06/classicalnext-classical-musics-new.html

QuoteThe Event

What's "Classical:NEXT"? In short: it's the independent classical music label's MIDEM.
It's the outgrowth of collective disgruntlement with the music industry's dominant trade
fair where classical music had become a tolerated afterthought. CLASS, the association
for classical independent labels in Germany (read: Musikproduktion Dabringhaus &
Grimm), banked on the dissatisfaction of Cannes in February, crowded expensive hotels,
and increasingly high participation fees and opted instead for Munich in May (May 30 –
June 2), a winning proposition right there...

scarlattiglenross

Apologies for the cross-posting (I have just pasted this information into the Morton Feldman thread too) but I want to spread the word that I have started what I might call a boutique label of my own, with my first release a benchmark recording of one of Feldman's incredible late pieces. Sound sample and purchasing information may be found on my site at http://frozenreeds.com/?p=21

Two years of time and effort have gone into this project and I believe it to be a truly momentous recording. I hope on that basis alone you will forgive my spamming, even if you're not a Feldman fan. Thank you!

Morton Feldman
Crippled Symmetry: at June in Buffalo
The Feldman Soloists
frozen reeds fr1/2

In 2000, Eberhard Blum, Nils Vigeland, and Jan Williams came together once more as "The Feldman Soloists" to perform Crippled Symmetry, the trio Feldman composed for them, on the 25th anniversary celebration of the festival he founded. The recording of this concert is now finally available on CD, and is destined to become the reference release of this work.

Required listening for all fans of Feldman's rich, hypnotic world of enigmatic harmony and mnemonic echo. Mastered by Denis Blackham, and presented in a card package which unfolds to reveal the musicians' "butterfly-like" arrangement on stage.

"This turned out to be one of the best performances that we had ever given together. The rare and indescribable 'magic moment' of occasion and ambience seems to have inspired us. The recording of the concert belongs to my most valued sound documents. When I listened to it for the first time, my immediate reaction was: this performance ought to be available on CD. Now, ten years later, it is." -Eberhard Blum
http://www.frozenreeds.com/
Now available: Morton Feldman - Crippled Symmetry: at June in Buffalo, performed by The Feldman Soloists (Eberhard Blum, Nils Vigeland, Jan Williams)

johndoe21ro

Trying not to be very mind restrained I think that Harmonia Mundi, Decca, Deutsche Grammophon, EMI Classics, Chandos, Naxos, BIS, Reference Recordings, Sony Classical, Philips Classics, Hyperion, MDG, Simax, RCA Red Seal, Pentatone and Telarc are all you need for bliss. All reference recordings, all great artists, all amazing technicians are linked one way or another with one of the names above.  ;D

Brian

Quote from: johndoe21ro on August 19, 2012, 02:52:14 PM
Trying not to be very mind restrained I think that Harmonia Mundi, Decca, Deutsche Grammophon, EMI Classics, Chandos, Naxos, BIS, Reference Recordings, Sony Classical, Philips Classics, Hyperion, MDG, Simax, RCA Red Seal, Pentatone and Telarc are all you need for bliss. All reference recordings, all great artists, all amazing technicians are linked one way or another with one of the names above.  ;D
If I might add Ondine, Zig-Zag Territoires, Champs Hill Recordings, Virgin, Cedille, Channel Classics, Supraphon, and Praga to your list, then all my favorite labels will be accounted for. :)

kishnevi

Quote from: Brian on August 19, 2012, 03:06:16 PM
If I might add Ondine, Zig-Zag Territoires, Champs Hill Recordings, Virgin, Cedille, Channel Classics, Supraphon, and Praga to your list, then all my favorite labels will be accounted for. :)

You forgot Naive.  Also Arcana, DaCapo, Dutton,  Dorian/Solo Luminus, Hungaraton, LSO Live, CSO Resound, SFS Media...etc etc. etc.

Brian

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on August 19, 2012, 07:02:58 PM
You forgot Naive.  Also Arcana, DaCapo, Dutton,  Dorian/Solo Luminus, Hungaraton, LSO Live, CSO Resound, SFS Media...etc etc. etc.
Well, and Alpha and Fuga Libera. Kicking myself over Naive, Dacapo, and DSL, although I've had little experience with some of the others.

North Star

"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Coopmv

Quote from: Bogey on April 25, 2010, 05:29:00 AM
I have always been a big fan of the label:

Perfect timing Que!  I am about to snap up a couple from this label, that headquarters out of the U.S. and Canada:

Most of their covers for cds and lps were simply black and white.

I found them to be the Naxos of their time, where some of the artists were a bit more obscure.  They still exist as a place where you can find cds (like a record club, but I do not believe that they continue produce their own cds, which were, I believe just repackaging from other labels). 

The ones that they transferred that I have always been of superior sound quality.  I guess I enjoyed them also because my father-in-law had a few on the shelf and they just stood out.

I used to be a member of the MHS back in the good old vinyl days.  It is headquartered somewhere in NJ ...