Started by маразм1, April 30, 2010, 12:24:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Bogey

Has to be better than Costner!

At least they do not have Hans Zimmer doing the soundtrack.  I always give Scott's work a chance.  I usually am pleased.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

DavidW

Quote from: Bogey on May 02, 2010, 01:20:18 PM
Has to be better than Costner!

At least they do not have Hans Zimmer doing the soundtrack.  I always give Scott's work a chance.  I usually am pleased.

Have you seen the Duelists Bill?

It's cool. :)

Bogey

Quote from: DavidW on May 02, 2010, 01:57:40 PM
Have you seen the Duelists Bill?

It's cool. :)

Nope.  Adding to my Netflix now.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

DavidW

Quote from: Bogey on May 02, 2010, 02:03:46 PM
Nope.  Adding to my Netflix now.

It's awesome, you'll love it! :)

Bulldog

Quote from: Todd on May 02, 2010, 12:56:15 PM

Yes - in Die Hard.

Not quite, as it was Rickman who got his ass kicked throughout the movie.

Josquin des Prez

david johnson

'Hey, Alan Rickman kicks ass! :P'

costner's r/h flick was not bad...rickman was deliciously evil.

dj

Cato

Quote from: david johnson on May 03, 2010, 03:13:30 AM
'Hey, Alan Rickman kicks ass! :P'

costner's r/h flick was not bad...Alan Rickman was deliciously evil.

dj

Amen!   >:D

He has a line which goes (approximately): "I'll dig out his heart with a spoon!"
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

DavidW

Quote from: Cato on May 03, 2010, 06:30:48 AM
Amen!   >:D

He has a line which goes (approximately): "I'll dig out his heart with a spoon!"

I like the follow up even more, because his dumb brother/cousin/whatever says something like "but it's dull, why not use a sword instead?" and he replies with something like "because it hurts more! you twit!"  Love it. ;D

Todd

Quote from: david johnson on May 03, 2010, 03:13:30 AMcostner's r/h flick was not bad

You're right, it was not bad.  It was horrid.  No, wait, horrid doesn't describe it adequately.  I think a German or Finnish word may be needed to describe how awful the film is.  It's easily one of the worst big budget films of the 90s, right up there (or down there) with other gems like Waterworld and The Postman.  Hey, wait a minute . . .
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Cato

Quote from: Todd on May 03, 2010, 07:46:43 AM

You're right, it was not bad.  It was horrid.  No, wait, horrid doesn't describe it adequately.  I think a German or Finnish word may be needed to describe how awful the film is.  It's easily one of the worst big budget films of the 90s, right up there (or down there) with other gems like Waterworld and The Postman.  Hey, wait a minute . . .

Dude! Waterworld has Dennis Hopper, and the rule is, any movie with Dennis Hopper can't be half bad!   8)

And the German word you might be looking for is schlecht, which simply means "bad" but to English ears, sounds much worse!   0:)

kishnevi

Quote from: Cato on May 03, 2010, 11:24:08 AM
Dude! Waterworld has Dennis Hopper, and the rule is, any movie with Dennis Hopper can't be half bad!   8)

And the German word you might be looking for is schlecht, which simply means "bad" but to English ears, sounds much worse!   0:)

Schrecklich (frightful)is a better word, especially when one remembers that the German strategy of war atrocities in WWI was described by the term "Schrecklichkeit".

Josquin des Prez

No wonder Germany produce so many little great poets...

david johnson

Quote from: Todd on May 03, 2010, 07:46:43 AM

the postman was good, too.  book was better.

Cato

Quote from: kishnevi on May 03, 2010, 05:06:14 PM
Schrecklich (frightful)is a better word, especially when one remembers that the German strategy of war atrocities in WWI was described by the term "Schrecklichkeit".

e.g. Max Schreck, the actor playing the vampire in Nosferatu

knight66

Did I pick you up correctly? You watched Braveheart more than once? Now that was a piece of dreck.

Mike
DavidW: Yeah Mike doesn't get angry, he gets even.
I wasted time: and time wasted me.

DavidW

Quote from: knight on May 09, 2010, 11:46:53 AM
Did I pick you up correctly? You watched Braveheart more than once? Now that was a piece of dreck.

Mike

But... it had Patrick McGoohan... :'(

;D

knight66

Yes, as thick a slice of ham as could be digested. He was not one of the film's assets.

Mike
DavidW: Yeah Mike doesn't get angry, he gets even.
I wasted time: and time wasted me.

DavidW

Yeah he just chews through all of the scenery. ;D  It was so fun, ah well it's not for everyone. :)