Paul McCartney

Started by Sean, June 18, 2007, 10:53:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sean

Anyone tried his Standing stone?- it's being broadcast today here along with a few other pieces, and I thought about recording it. I've tried a couple of short orchestral pieces before now (A leaf and Spiral) and a bunch of others for string quartet, but though not at all routine, overall they didn't rise much above anonymity.

scottscheule

I haven't heard anything classical by him, and the reviews I've read have ranged from negative to very negative. 

If you find something positive, please let me know.

His pop works are, of course, masterful.

karlhenning

Quote from: scottscheule on June 18, 2007, 02:43:05 PM
I haven't heard anything classical by him, and the reviews I've read have ranged from negative to very negative. 

If you find something positive, please let me know.

His pop works are, of course, masterful.

The best of them, to be sure.

Even in that realm, though, even the most ardent of his admirers might consider his work at times puzzlingly mixed.

scottscheule

Quote from: karlhenning on June 19, 2007, 03:43:36 AM
The best of them, to be sure.

Even in that realm, though, even the most ardent of his admirers might consider his work at times puzzlingly mixed.

Fair enough.  I've no complaints about any of the Lennon collaborations, but some of the stuff from the Wings years is crap.

karlhenning

Mm.  How about "Temporary Secretary" from McCartney II, eh?  8)

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Sean on June 18, 2007, 10:53:13 AM
Anyone tried his Standing stone?- it's being broadcast today here along with a few other pieces, and I thought about recording it. I've tried a couple of short orchestral pieces before now (A leaf and Spiral) and a bunch of others for string quartet, but though not at all routine, overall they didn't rise much above anonymity.

Sean, shouldn't this post be in the guilty pleasures thread in the Diner  ;D

Or maybe not...there is no indication that his "classical" music ever gave you any pleasure. That's perfectly understandable.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Hector

Everything after 'Mull of Kintyre' and much  post-Beatles is best avoided.

Depressing, really. What I have heard of his latest is equally so.

karlhenning

Mark G. Simon

Let's just say that a listen to McCartney's Standing Stoned or Ecce corn meum will increase your appreciation of George Gershwin's accomplishments a hundredfold.

karlhenning

Choo Choo

Yeah, forget McCartney - let's talk about ABBA.

Quote from: Mark Radcliffe (BBC Radio DJ)Let's face it:  if you don't like Abba, you don't really like music.

karlhenning

My work here is done . . . .

Daverz

His latest dabbling, Ecce Cor Meum, got a mostly positive review in ARG recently.  I'll see if I can find it later and type some of the highlights in.

I have to admit that, aside from whatever singles were played on the radio in the 70s, I'm totally ignorant of McCartney's work after Ram.

Steve

Quote from: Choo Choo on June 19, 2007, 07:28:31 AM
Yeah, forget McCartney - let's talk about ABBA.

Now this must belong in the Guilty Pleasures thread. O, Moderator!  ;D

scottscheule

Quote from: Mark G. Simon on June 19, 2007, 07:09:54 AM
Let's just say that a listen to McCartney's Standing Stoned or Ecce corn meum will increase your appreciation of George Gershwin's accomplishments a hundredfold.

Bad show!

hornteacher

Paul did come out with a very good album in the mid 1990s called Flaming Pie.  In my opinion that was his best solo album after Wings broke up and really the only one that stands together as a full work as opposed to just a group of songs.

You gotta admire the guy though for refusing to wither away.  He's 65 and about to go on tour again.  I saw him live back in 1992 and he puts on a great show.

karlhenning

Heck, I have no complaint with "just a group of songs" if they're fine songs.

It's the piffle I object to, mostly  0:)

hornteacher

Quote from: karlhenning on June 20, 2007, 03:53:13 AM
Heck, I have no complaint with "just a group of songs" if they're fine songs.

It's the piffle I object to, mostly  0:)

True, and Paul has done both (great songs and piffle).  The great thing about Paul is that he is aware of this.  He's often said that sometimes he doesn't "get it right" and that out of all of the albums he's done (even though he puts passion and work into each one) they can't ALL be good.

karlhenning

Quote from: hornteacher on June 20, 2007, 07:38:10 AM
True, and Paul has done both (great songs and piffle).

Indeed.

QuoteThe great thing about Paul is that he is aware of this.  He's often said that sometimes he doesn't "get it right" and that out of all of the albums he's done (even though he puts passion and work into each one) they can't ALL be good.

I'm afraid I disagree with Sir Paul on this one.  There's no reason he has to be happy publishing anything that is less than good; there is especially no reason why "they can't ALL be good."

I just don't understand him here.

scottscheule

Quote from: karlhenning on June 20, 2007, 09:22:35 AM
Indeed.

I'm afraid I disagree with Sir Paul on this one.  There's no reason he has to be happy publishing anything that is less than good; there is especially no reason why "they can't ALL be good."

I just don't understand him here.

Look at Brahms, for instance.  But perhaps the rules are different for popular music.