Paul McCartney

Started by Sean, June 18, 2007, 10:53:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hornteacher

Quote from: karlhenning on June 20, 2007, 09:22:35 AM
I'm afraid I disagree with Sir Paul on this one.  There's no reason he has to be happy publishing anything that is less than good; there is especially no reason why "they can't ALL be good."

I just don't understand him here.

I think what he means is that HE thinks everything he puts out is good while he's working on it, but sometimes the mass public doesn't care for a particular song or album and therefore he realizes that he didn't reach the audience on that particular attempt.

I'm guessing, of course, but that might be his way of thinking.

scottscheule

Quote from: hornteacher on June 20, 2007, 03:59:50 PM
I think what he means is that HE thinks everything he puts out is good while he's working on it, but sometimes the mass public doesn't care for a particular song or album and therefore he realizes that he didn't reach the audience on that particular attempt.

I'm guessing, of course, but that might be his way of thinking.

It's not just the public's fault.  I mean, have you heard C-moon?

karlhenning

It is part of most composers' education, to learn the difference between what feels good at the moment, and what actually has legs.

I mean, in strictly musical terms, of course  0:)

Montpellier

He seems to want to be remembered in the annals of classical (or should I say serious) music but I don't think he has the necessary sense of form and structure.  I believe he received a great deal of help with Mass of Liverpool to the extent that it's difficult for me to think of it as his composition. 

Could it be that he went so far dependent on just on his good musical sense, his intuition?  So now he has to deal with actual notes and progressions a little more complicated he's simply out of his depth.  I've heard (national news re his divorce) that he spent 7 years on something classical.   Hmm, with his money and free time, if he can't do something in 7 years it's probably too late.