The Audiophile Debate

Started by Todd, July 04, 2023, 04:46:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Atriod

Quote from: 71 dB on March 01, 2024, 03:04:16 PMProbably 99 % of everything I have wrote online has been complete waste of time.

General social media add another long string of digits after the decimal point. With just GMG then I disagree, I am always learning about new performances/music from the select threads I read, admittedly I skip plenty where I don't get much use out of them, this thread will be joining the ranks  $:)

A few years ago I cut down all my personal online time to ~30 minutes a day. It's remarkable how different the world is when you're not constantly "plugged in." I see I now have another several pages to catch up on this thread, and what's the point really? Burning more time off my life that could be spent on something more productive/enjoyable. I am thankful for people that write long descriptions of music and sometimes I try, like the Eschenbach Mahler 5 that absolutely blew me away, then I start and decide to just listen to some music instead.

Spotted Horses

Quote from: AnotherSpin on March 06, 2024, 07:50:38 AMI don't remember what Russell said about Berkeley. Did he mention that solipsism cannot be disproved in principle? I'm not going to go into detail, but what I'm saying is far from Berkeley. You can also mention Descartes and Schopenhauer, but the point is that this is not about philosophy at all.

Yes, he was clear that it can't be absolutely disproved. Nothing in philosophy can be proved or disproved. The best you can do is point out all of the implausible assumptions you have to make if you want to believe Berkeley.

I had read a lot of philosophy in my younger days. Now it mostly seems pointless to me. The useful philosophy is that which gives you some guidance on how you should live. I generally find science a more useful resource in that regard.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

steve ridgway

Quote from: Spotted Horses on March 06, 2024, 06:15:25 AMWhat is being described by AnotherSpin seems like a version of George Berkeley's philosophy of "immaterialism." I think it is nowadays studied for how ingeniously it develops an idea which gives no practical guidance on how one should live. Some time ago I was idly reading Bertrand Russell's The Problems of Philosophy, where he treated Berkeley at some length. It is hard to absolutely disprove the sophomoric idea that "the whole universe is just a dream I am having," but Russell does his best.

Well it could be a dream, a dream seems real enough when one is in it, but if one is unable to wake up or gain much control over it then it's effectively reality and is best treated as such.

Florestan

Quote from: Spotted Horses on March 06, 2024, 08:32:34 AMI had read a lot of philosophy in my younger days. Now it mostly seems pointless to me.

My experience and sentiment exactly.

There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Spotted Horses

It seems like Berkeley's thinking has found a new life in the people who claim were are living in a simulation.  ::)

(This site needs a better eyeroll emoji.)

Now I have to figure out how to relate this to audiophilia.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

AnotherSpin

Quote from: Spotted Horses on March 06, 2024, 08:32:34 AMYes, he was clear that it can't be absolutely disproved. Nothing in philosophy can be proved or disproved. The best you can do is point out all of the implausible assumptions you have to make if you want to believe Berkeley.

I had read a lot of philosophy in my younger days. Now it mostly seems pointless to me. The useful philosophy is that which gives you some guidance on how you should live. I generally find science a more useful resource in that regard.

The same here. Also, I've found my answers elsewhere, and it helps me, in times of war too.

71 dB

Quote from: AnotherSpin on March 06, 2024, 03:27:52 AMIt is simply knowing that I am, here and now.
You are? That sounds like a very self-centred view of reality. What about the time you were not born yet and the time after you have died?

Quote from: AnotherSpin on March 06, 2024, 03:27:52 AMIt is the only reality.
Oh really? Maybe you believe your mind is the only thing there is and we other people are just thoughts in your mind (Solipsism)?
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Spotted Horses

Quote from: steve ridgway on March 06, 2024, 08:53:45 AMWell it could be a dream, a dream seems real enough when one is in it, but if one is unable to wake up or gain much control over it then it's effectively reality and is best treated as such.

Yes, it could be a dream. What a genius I am to have dreamed general relativity, quantum mechanics, microbiology, evolution and Brahms. What I pervert I must be to have dreamed Nazi Germany, the Taliban, chattel slavery in the United States and Paper Lace.

LKB

I believe in a Philosophy of 🧀.

I like 🧀, a lot.

With ham, or without. With wine, or water, or something stronger.

A pleasant helping of 🧀, accompanied by an appropriate beverage, along with a first-rate book in front of a cozy fireplace... BLISS!

There have undoubtedly been countless other philosophies, multitudes, around the world and throughout the history of our species. The point of commonality within them all is an attempt to define a perception of human existence and/or potential. And so, all of them offer a lense for seeking or investigating ways to attain some measure of contentment with a given individual's place in the universe.

But no philosophy is any better than its author, and all authors ( irrespective of intentions, insight or past performance ) are collections of blunders, experience, happenstance results, and the various foibles which either curse or anoint ( depending upon one's  philosophy ) any creator.

So, no philosophy can be objectively correct as it is part opinion, part instinct, and necessarily constrained by its author's limitations.

And so the Philosophy of 🧀 has attained, for me, a personal primacy.

🧀 is at least partly true, satisfies, is at least somewhat consistent ( up to the expiration date ) and, when used in moderation, exacts no penalties.

Made myself hungry, that did. 😋
Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...

steve ridgway

Quote from: LKB on March 06, 2024, 02:03:07 PMBut no philosophy is any better than its author, and all authors ( irrespective of intentions, insight or past performance ) are collections of blunders, experience, happenstance results, and the various foibles which either curse or anoint ( depending upon one's  philosophy ) any creator.

So, no philosophy can be objectively correct as it is part opinion, part instinct, and necessarily constrained by its author's limitations.

And so the Philosophy of 🧀 has attained, for me, a personal primacy.

Yes, a bit of philosophical speculation can be fun for a while but the puzzle is never actually resolved and day to day existence goes on as normal.

AnotherSpin

Quote from: steve ridgway on March 06, 2024, 08:50:54 PMYes, a bit of philosophical speculation can be fun for a while but the puzzle is never actually resolved and day to day existence goes on as normal.

There is no puzzle outside of mind.

steve ridgway

Quote from: AnotherSpin on March 06, 2024, 09:34:38 PMThere is no puzzle outside of mind.

I'll keep it inside my mind then :-X .

drogulus

Ahhhh-haaaaa!!!

I can play dsf files on my PC..........in WINAMP!

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

Valentino

That's fine, but do you have an audiophile Ethernet switch?
We audiophiles don't really like music, but we sure love the sound it makes;
Audio-Technica | Bokrand | Thorens | Cambridge Audio | Logitech | Yamaha | Topping | MiniDSP | Hypex | ICEpower | Mundorf | SEAS | Beyma

drogulus

Quote from: Valentino on April 21, 2024, 10:29:23 PMThat's fine, but do you have an audiophile Ethernet switch?

I can't hear my Ethernet, so it's probably audiophile.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

DavidW

Quote from: drogulus on April 21, 2024, 09:27:54 AMAhhhh-haaaaa!!!

I can play dsf files on my PC..........in WINAMP!

It really whips the llama's ass!

LKB

Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...