Pronunciation?

Started by 71 dB, March 29, 2024, 04:28:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Quote from: Luke on March 30, 2024, 11:45:12 AMIt means sold (especially sold cheaply/casually) in Britain. If you're trying to flog something you're trying to sell it, which may incidentally involve marketing.

I once knew an Englishman who told me he was thinking of taking a certain job, but he had qualms about it. I asked what it involved, and he said: "flogging fags." I was briefly shocked, but then realized that they were selling cigarettes.
formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

Luke

Well, he could have been applying for a job in one of our more medieval private educational establishments, in which case your first thought might have been correct.

Florestan

Off-topic or maybe not: is there a more illogical and irrational language than English?  ;D
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Karl Henning

Quote from: Florestan on March 30, 2024, 02:50:42 PMOff-topic or maybe not: is there a more illogical and irrational language than English?  ;D
If there were, English would twist some more to accommodate!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Luke

Quote from: FlorestanOff-topic or maybe not: is there a more illogical and irrational language than English?  ;D

Well, I sought for another, but after a lot of thought, and after ploughing through many examples *cough cough* I said, 'enough!' Although, I might be wrong...

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Quote from: Florestan on March 30, 2024, 02:50:42 PMOff-topic or maybe not: is there a more illogical and irrational lamguage than English?  ;D

That's an impossible question to answer, since there are a couple of thousand languages out there, and they probably all have their own irrationalities. Also, how does one measure such a thing in a language? It's probably harder than measuring the popularity of Bruckner.

I do wonder though. Why does "a few" mean not many, but "quite a few" means many? Why does "for good" mean permanently? And so on and so forth.

Luke

Let alone words like 'bound' and 'fast' which both have double and approximately opposite meanings.

He jumped free with a bound.
She was bound to the railings

She ran away fast.
He was stuck fast.

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Quote from: Luke on March 30, 2024, 02:56:02 PMWell, I sought for another, but after a lot of thought, and after ploughing through many examples *cough cough* I said, 'enough!' Although, I might be wrong...

George Bernard Shaw pointed out that you could spell "fish" as ghoti, using the gh from cough, the o from women, and the ti from motion.

Karl Henning

Quote from: Archaic Torso of Apollo on March 30, 2024, 02:56:21 PMThat's an impossible question to answer, since there are a couple of thousand languages out there, and they probably all have their own irrationalities. Also, how does one measure such a thing in a language? It's probably harder than measuring the popularity of Bruckner.

I do wonder though. Why does "a few" mean not many, but "quite a few" means many? Why does "for good" mean permanently? And so on and so forth.
And that line from "Stormy Weather"... " I wonder if she's gone to stay forever."
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Florestan

My point being that English orthography and pronunciation make it one of the least candidates for a lingua franca.

;D
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Karl Henning

Quote from: Archaic Torso of Apollo on March 30, 2024, 03:02:13 PMGeorge Bernard Shaw pointed out that you could spell "fish" as ghoti, using the gh from cough, the o from women, and the ti from motion.
I near fell out of my seat when I saw that as a gag on a warehouse sign in the old Batman series!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Quote from: Florestan on March 30, 2024, 03:07:49 PMMy point being that English orthography and pronunciation make it one of the least candidates for a lingua franca.

;D
That's true, though what I see of Danish, the Danes could almost give us a run for our money.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Quote from: Luke on March 29, 2024, 06:58:59 AMThanks, it is indeed cover against all sins.  ;D

(* chortle *)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

aukhawk

Quote from: Florestan on March 30, 2024, 03:07:49 PMMy point being that English orthography and pronunciation make it one of the least candidates for a lingua franca.

Well, it's not plagued with having to assign a gender to every inanimate object out there.