What game are you playing?

Started by DavidW, May 09, 2010, 04:07:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

greg

Quote from: Mirror Image on March 06, 2020, 09:07:14 PM
Something is only worth it if the other party believes that it's worth it as well. As I mentioned, FF was never something I cared anything about. I simply couldn't get into. If you love FF, good for you, but you do realize that there are people out there that aren't into what you're into, right?
I'm trying to understand the logic here. You don't want to try because you don't like story-driven JRPGs, or because you don't like it because it has Final Fantasy in the title? Because if you played another Final Fantasy and didn't like it, okay, but this (as well as the other games in the series) bears little resemblance at all to each other. They are each like a different franchise.

I'd understand if you were talking about Dragon Quest or Pokemon, since the games are very similar to each other, but not Final Fantasy (especially the modern ones, where the controversy is that they are highly experimental from game to game)...

edit: also, I don't really understand the point of your original comment... the only direction discussion could go is 1) me convincing you to try it, or 2) I could write "okay, then" and that's it. 
Wagie wagie get back in the cagie

Mirror Image

Quote from: greg on March 06, 2020, 09:16:14 PM
I'm trying to understand the logic here. You don't want to try because you don't like story-driven JRPGs, or because you don't like it because it has Final Fantasy in the title? Because if you played another Final Fantasy and didn't like it, okay, but this (as well as the other games in the series) bears little resemblance at all to each other. They are each like a different franchise.

I'd understand if you were talking about Dragon Quest or Pokemon, since the games are very similar to each other, but not Final Fantasy (especially the modern ones, where the controversy is that they are highly experimental from game to game)...

edit: also, I don't really understand the point of your original comment... the only direction discussion could go is 1) me convincing you to try it, or 2) I could write "okay, then" and that's it.

Greg, one doesn't have to play every single FF game to know whether it's their thing or not. I have friends who are into FF and have tried for years to get me into but they have given up. There is no logic involved there and there shouldn't be. If I say I don't like FF, you should take that at face value. You don't have to comment at all and that would be perfectly fine. Just because I commented that I'm not a fan of FF doesn't necessarily mean you need or should feel like you have to respond. Too many times you say stupid crap like "I don't understand your logic here" or "I don't understand this or that..." Sometimes you need to learn how to accept opinions for what they are and not question them. You made the comment "For anyone who owns a PS4...should check out the new FF7 demo". Well, what if I don't give a crap about FF? You turned an innocent comment into something more than ought to have been. In other words, you made a mountain out of molehill.

greg

Quote from: Mirror Image on March 06, 2020, 09:59:44 PM
Greg, one doesn't have to play every single FF game to know whether it's their thing or not. I have friends who are into FF and have tried for years to get me into but they have given up. There is no logic involved there and there shouldn't be. If I say I don't like FF, you should take that at face value. You don't have to comment at all and that would be perfectly fine. Just because I commented that I'm not a fan of FF doesn't necessarily mean you need or should feel like you have to respond. Too many times you say stupid crap like "I don't understand your logic here" or "I don't understand this or that..." Sometimes you need to learn how to accept opinions for what they are and not question them. You made the comment "For anyone who owns a PS4...should check out the new FF7 demo". Well, what if I don't give a crap about FF? You turned an innocent comment into something more than ought to have been. In other words, you made a mountain out of molehill.
Then why even comment if you don't want anyone to reply?

And whether you have to play every single FF game to know whether you like the series or not... actually is debatable if someone is so vague about it. The series is mostly known for it's main numbered JRPGs, but it also has MMORPG's, one that's more like a western RPG (#15), spin-off fighting games, mobile games, etc. There's barely even a cohesive identity of what the series actually is any more. If someone told me, for example, they didn't care for FF7 because of the battle system, then I'd still suggest them trying the FF7 remake demo, because it is waaaaay different from the original.

So my conclusion is just that you aren't interested because of the title... or as you said, bad experiences previously trying to like the series (which actually says nothing about whether you'd like this game)... so in other words, the title.

Anyways, the middle of this year also has a few other games coming out.

My calendar looks like:
April 3- Resident Evil 3 remake
April 10- FF7 remake
May 29- The Last of Us Part 2
June 26- Ghost of Tsushima (considering it, may or may not get it).

Cyberpunk is also a possibility, but I would just wait until later in the year to see all of the reviews first and finish the other games.

Looking like a good year for PS4.

staxomega

Quote from: greg on March 06, 2020, 09:16:14 PM

I haven't played any since FF XII since I find the combat to be quite a slog. At one point XII felt more like doing a job than having fun. I looked up video reviews for FF XV when it came out and it didn't look much different from that MMORPG style combat of XII.

I did obsessively love FFVII when it originally came out, but I think age had a big part of it and being so moved by the story. I remember not enjoying the combat even back then. And I don't have an aversion to turn based I think it's great in Knights of the Old Republic 1 and 2, the first Dragon Age and some others I'm forgetting.

greg

Quote from: hvbias on March 07, 2020, 08:28:41 AM
I haven't played any since FF XII since I find the combat to be quite a slog. At one point XII felt more like doing a job than having fun. I looked up video reviews for FF XV when it came out and it didn't look much different from that MMORPG style combat of XII.

I did obsessively love FFVII when it originally came out, but I think age had a big part of it and being so moved by the story. I remember not enjoying the combat even back then. And I don't have an aversion to turn based I think it's great in Knights of the Old Republic 1 and 2, the first Dragon Age and some others I'm forgetting.
I actually enjoyed the style of combat for XII, and also the world, but it was the story that I feel was really uninspiring and disappointing. For XV I wasn't sure what to think about the combat, but the game overall I thought was really mediocre (only played the original version).

Usually you can tell if you like something through videos, but there's always gotta be an exception... like Xenoblade Chronicles where it looked like exactly what I was looking for at the time- a single player MMORPG. But the combat just didn't click with me at all- maybe it was the low amount of skills that can be used, the battle yells, not sure exactly.

drogulus

I just do FPS against bots in the same games I played since the world was young.

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

greg

drogulus

Quote from: greg on March 07, 2020, 10:07:00 AM
What game is that?

It's called Serious Sam, The Second Encounter, from 2002. It's hilarious fun. It has giant biomechanical chickens with rocket launcher wings.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

greg

Quote from: drogulus on March 07, 2020, 02:04:06 PM
     It's called Serious Sam, The Second Encounter, from 2002. It's hilarious fun. It has giant biomechanical chickens with rocket launcher wings.
Oh ok, I heard of it way back around that time. If it's a goofy FPS, then you might also like Postal 2 if you haven't played it already.

AlberichUndHagen

While I love Final Fantasy, including VII, my main problem with that game is a moral one: the protagonists are terrorists who cause deaths of innocent people yet hypocritically claim to be morally above Shinra, at one point even flat out trying to stop Shinra from saving the world. Shinra may have done it for self-interested reasons but they still WERE at that point trying to save the world. I find it very hard to sympathize with most of the player characters due to their inherent hypocricy and reprehensible acts. I am fine with villain protagonists (I like GTA and Red Dead Redemption a lot, after all) but the problem with Final Fantasy VII is that they apparently try to paint the protagonists as heroes. I am not completely blind to their good points, but I think the bad traits of theirs easily outweigh the good ones.

My favorite Final Fantasy remains IX. It is also the most human one.

stingo

Been trying to get someone to play Divinity Original Sin co-op on the PC or PS4. That or Path of Exile. No takers.

Crudblud

I beat Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice yesterday. An amazing experience from start to finish, and very challenging indeed (From Software really saved the hardest boss for last this time around!). Apparently I got the "true" ending, although I didn't look up how to get it. I suppose the Souls veteran in me was determined to explore as much as possible instead of simply progressing the main path as prompted, and it looks like it paid off. Guess now that I'm sick I have an excuse to move onto NG+...

greg

Quote from: Crudblud on March 17, 2020, 01:30:20 AM
I beat Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice yesterday. An amazing experience from start to finish, and very challenging indeed (From Software really saved the hardest boss for last this time around!). Apparently I got the "true" ending, although I didn't look up how to get it. I suppose the Souls veteran in me was determined to explore as much as possible instead of simply progressing the main path as prompted, and it looks like it paid off. Guess now that I'm sick I have an excuse to move onto NG+...
Nice...
those games look cool but would be too hard for me. I finally beat the original Crash Bandicoot a few days ago as I was stuck at The High Road and that was more than challenging enough. I must have been in a particularly good mood to not break anything. 😅

AlberichUndHagen

Not exactly what I "played" but I did watch LP of Half Life: Alyx and it did not disappoint. I think almost no-one saw the ending plot twist coming although I knew there was going to be one.

greg

Quote from: AlberichUndHagen on April 01, 2020, 09:30:29 AM
Not exactly what I "played" but I did watch LP of Half Life: Alyx and it did not disappoint. I think almost no-one saw the ending plot twist coming although I knew there was going to be one.
It looks great, though will be some time before I play it. Gonna use the Vive headset for it.

Patiently awaiting the RE3 remake to arrive on Friday.

greg

Just finished Resident Evil 3 remake. It was great!!! 9/10

Glad that it didn't get up to absurd difficulty near the end like re2 remake did, so was able to finish on standard difficulty. Also, Nemesis I found to be better than Mr.X because you're not really trying to solve puzzles while running away from him like you did with Mr.X, so he was more effective rather than annoying. These are the reasons why I'd probably have to say I enjoyed 3 more than 2 (although 2 had some satisfying puzzles, and the first half was excellent).

With this release it also means that all of the numbered entries are available on ps4 (0-7), so this will be the system that I will collect them for, for sure.

greg

Just got Final Fantasy 7 remake and just got to Chapter 3.

I can already see how they have padded out the story. So far it totally works, and is a good move imo.

Anyone else playing it?

greg

Finished replay of Final Fantasy 10... it's been, what 15 or 16 years since I played it.

Bittersweet ending, completely unique world/character/story conception, great battle system... it was unforgettable back then and still unforgettable now.

It really is amazing just how distinct that era of Final Fantasy games (7-10 especially) from anything else is, each of them have this totally unique feel that stands out so much that none of them really remind me of anything else at all (can't say the same for many games out there).

I got the HD remaster for PSP so will eventually get around to 10-2 and get all the trophies for both. 10 really has a deep post-game, actually it's supposedly the deepest post-game of the whole series (though 12 comes close).

(btw, I have a friend who completed FF10 7 times!  :o )

TheGSMoeller

Finally played Bioshock: Infinite , the 3rd installment of the series. I played the first Bioshock, not the second one though.
Infinite was spectacular. The design of the city, and it's floating-buildings had me in awe. Great experience.

greg

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on May 08, 2020, 08:07:41 PM
Finally played Bioshock: Infinite , the 3rd installment of the series. I played the first Bioshock, not the second one though.
Infinite was spectacular. The design of the city, and it's floating-buildings had me in awe. Great experience.
I can't imagine what relation the two sequels would have had to the original... only played the first and it seemed like a closed story.

The first one was a decent game... but apparently didn't enjoy it enough to want to continue the series. It's sitting there in my collection since I was able to retrieve it from my friend after letting him borrow it while he never ended up playing it.  ;D