What game are you playing?

Started by DavidW, May 09, 2010, 04:07:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LKB

Half-Life remains the only game which ever got a real scare outta me. That one map with those f***ing headcrabs in the air ducts... :laugh:
Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...

greg

Metal Gear Solid 4
Feels like despite still keeping some of the goofiness of the series, the tone of this game is super super somber.
I liked the chameleon-like camouflage mechanic, and how you shake your controller to remove it, but seems like it was almost not even needed.
Satisfying in the sense that this is really the actual chronological ending of the MGS series.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
Although technically this is the last game in the series chronologically, feels more like an epilogue, story-wise.
This is the most action-y action game of all time. But the gameplay feels a bit repetitive and simplistic because of it.
It does look amazing, though, one of the best looking PS3 games of all time IMO.
Weird thing is how this game got some recent surge in popularity online, I ended up seeing bits of the final boss fight in videos unintentionally. It's been super meme-y lately, despite the game being like 7-8 years old.

As for Metal Gear Solid 5, bought it and will play eventually, but not sure when. Unlike the other games in the series, it's super long.

For now, I'd rank the MGS games like:
3 > 4 > 1 > 2 > PW

Chrono Cross
Playing the HD remake. Got a physical release for Switch from Play Asia.
Wagie wagie get back in the cagie

relm1

Quote from: LKB on July 01, 2022, 04:11:05 AM
Half-Life remains the only game which ever got a real scare outta me. That one map with those f***ing headcrabs in the air ducts... :laugh:

That was a great, great game and very influential.  I never played the sequels though.

LKB

Seriously thinking of downloading RDR2 today...

stingo

Of late, BL2 and Presequel, W40K Inquisitor/Martyr, Divinity Original Sin. (PC)

DavidW

Quote from: LKB on July 05, 2022, 10:22:52 AM
Seriously thinking of downloading RDR2 today...

Same.  I never got past the never ending prologue.  I need to give it a fair chance.

Karl Henning

One of my daily cognitive exercises since the stroke is sudoku, which I found (a bit to my surprise) that I enjoy. There's a "fast" game (6x6) and one thing I like to do is see how good a time I can manage. Sometimes none too low, but generally even my "worst" game is < 2'
I like to have a "week's best" under 50" ... so when I log a 41" game (as today) I'm mighty pleased with my neurons.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

DavidW

Quote from: DavidW on July 10, 2022, 06:35:11 AM
Same.  I never got past the never ending prologue.  I need to give it a fair chance.

That didn't work out too well.  I have to face it, the game bores me.  Not every game is for everyone.

DavidW

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on July 20, 2022, 06:40:14 AM
One of my daily cognitive exercises since the stroke is sudoku, which I found (a bit to my surprise) that I enjoy. There's a "fast" game (6x6) and one thing I like to do is see how good a time I can manage. Sometimes none too low, but generally even my "worst" game is < 2'
I like to have a "week's best" under 50" ... so when I log a 41" game (as today) I'm mighty pleased with my neurons.

I used to be really into Sudoku.  I didn't know about the 6x6, just tried it.  That is fun and easy.  I used to have an app on my tablets to play it.  They would support pencil markings.  And then you would use some sophisticated logical deductions to fill it in.  Like if the pencil markings in one square could only occur in the middle column that might force the result in another square for example.  Another is the infamous X-wings where you have pairs and their inverses in neighboring squares say 2-4 and 4-2.  And so they have to be coupled, where if you resolve one you automatically have the other in reverse.

Karl Henning

Today's byrdle.net gave my brain cells a workout.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

DavidW

I've been playing The Observer with Rutger Hauer.  Cyperpunk goodness.  The mystery is very Serial Experiments Lain.

LKB

Still having fun in Diablo 3.

I was hoping this week's patch would allow me to progress dramatically, but that hasn't been the case.

It's all good though. I'm having fun and building paragon, and that's what count's.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on August 25, 2022, 04:43:29 AM
Today's byrdle.net gave my brain cells a workout.
I hadn't heard of byrdle before you posted it.  I did give it a go yesterday and managed to solve it in 6; however, that was probably mostly due to me coming up with a system to solve wordle...that and some dumb luck! lol  :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

greg

Got a PS5 over the weekend (from PS direct) and have been playing Ghostwire: Tokyo.
Been looking forward to it since its E3 announcement, the appeal being the visual aesthetics.
Besides that, the gameplay is super fun.

greg

Done with Ghostwire: Tokyo, will look forward to one day going back and just doing more exploring and getting all the collectible stuff. What a massive and impressive game world. Really enjoyed the avant-garde surrealist scenes, too.

Started Tales of Arise. Never played a Tales game before, apparently this is the 17th game in the series. It's a JRPG franchise that is action RPG, one of the biggest JRPG franchises of all time, yet easily overlooked by people like me that tend to focus on the more popular franchises (Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, Pokemon, etc.).

Have to say, man... really liking this so far. Visuals, soundtrack (suitably orchestral romanticism-styled fantasy OST), characters, the story of a slave revolt, the way it just feels- reminds me of a Final Fantasy game (especially something like FF14), but with action combat and more of an anime style. So yeah, definitely my tastes.  8)

drogulus

This level of the 20+ year old game Serious Sam is the hardest. My boy Decino plays it on Serious difficulty, which I wouldn't attempt.

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

LKB

Diablo 3's current season began nine days ago. This is only the second season I've taken part in and so far my baby Wizard has shown me a good time.

Now if Blizzard would just stabilize their servers so l can stay online...  ::)

DavidW

I've been playing Horizon Forbidden West.  Much better than the original game.  Better animations, better writing, better quests, better game mechanics, better puzzles, better traversal, better climbing... just flat out better in everyway.  It is like the devs took all the feedback from the first game and set it to do it better and they succeeded.  Even most of the errands are interesting and on par with side quests in other games.  It was unfortunate that the game came out in the same week as Elden Ring and it was just ignored by many.

DavidW

Quote from: hopefullytrusting on July 24, 2023, 09:09:10 AMFinally, got a controller and a decent computer, so I'm going to try to 100 percent Fallout: New Vegas, plus play the DLC - none of which I've played, so that'll be my game for a long, long, long time.

Funny enough I was reminded of that game this morning and went yeah I still need to play that.  After Final Fantasy 16, Cyberpunk Phantom Liberty and Starfield I think I will.

Ganondorf

Quote from: hopefullytrusting on July 24, 2023, 09:09:10 AMFinally, got a controller and a decent computer, so I'm going to try to 100 percent Fallout: New Vegas, plus play the DLC - none of which I've played, so that'll be my game for a long, long, long time.

New Vegas and it's dlcs are awesome! I think Obsidian Fallout games (1,2, new Vegas) are the only true Fallout games. Bethesda fundamentally misunderstands what Fallout is about (plus their writing kinda sucks).