What game are you playing?

Started by DavidW, May 09, 2010, 04:07:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: greg on May 08, 2020, 08:22:48 PM
I can't imagine what relation the two sequels would have had to the original... only played the first and it seemed like a closed story.

The first one was a decent game... but apparently didn't enjoy it enough to want to continue the series. It's sitting there in my collection since I was able to retrieve it from my friend after letting him borrow it while he never ended up playing it.  ;D

Infinite is really a stand-alone game from the first 2, although a small reference to those are made. I was told you don't really have to even have played the first 2 to enjoy Infinite, which is why I skipped the second game.

I'm thinking of getting the download of the original The Last of Us, I continue to read great reviews about it, and the sequel is close to being released. Plus it's cheap on the Playstation store.

greg

Well that would be a good move since The Last of Us is a great game.

Not sure I'll get Part 2 or not, it's kinda in the middle of a shitstorm of controversy right now.  :-X But still, we'll see...
Wagie wagie get back in the cagie

AlberichUndHagen

I have never played The Last of Us, nor watched Let's plays of it. But I am a huge fan of other Naughty Dog games, Crash Bandicoot, Jak & Daxter and especially Uncharted. Uncharted 4 is one of the best games of the decade.

Brian

Glad to see you back here, Mr. Moeller!!!

Quarantine boredom drove me to download Cities: Skylines, and I've tried it a couple times. Seems fun. For now though my main squeeze is Out of the Park Baseball, where you act as a general manager making trades, building rosters, hiring scouts, etc. I'm in an online league and it's tremendous fun to try trading and trash talking with real people. Addicting for baseball fans.

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Brian on May 10, 2020, 06:53:25 AM
Glad to see you back here, Mr. Moeller!!!

Quarantine boredom drove me to download Cities: Skylines, and I've tried it a couple times. Seems fun. For now though my main squeeze is Out of the Park Baseball, where you act as a general manager making trades, building rosters, hiring scouts, etc. I'm in an online league and it's tremendous fun to try trading and trash talking with real people. Addicting for baseball fans.

Hey, Brian. Good to see you too. I still follow you on Twitter and enjoy seeing your Dallas-food writings. Good stuff.

Mirror Image

Quote from: AlberichUndHagen on May 10, 2020, 06:46:16 AM
I have never played The Last of Us, nor watched Let's plays of it. But I am a huge fan of other Naughty Dog games, Crash Bandicoot, Jak & Daxter and especially Uncharted. Uncharted 4 is one of the best games of the decade.

I hate to chime in with my two little measly cents, but I thought the first Uncharted was the best of them all. There felt like there was more real action in it than just a game comprised of cut-scenes which you can sometimes partake in. I rank games based on whether the game is worth replaying. None of the Uncharted games for me have been worth revisiting and the same goes The Last of Us. I'm finding that more and more of these next-gen games to be weak on in-game action and more about storytelling. I mean there's nothing wrong with having a strong narrative in a game obviously, but when all you do is watch cut-scene after cut-scene, it gets tedious and boring. It's like "Is this a game or a film?" Thankfully, there have been some fine games that have come out in the past decade that have been awe-inspiring and just flat-out fun to play. A few of them for me have been: The Last Guardian (PS4), Little Nightmares (PS4), Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Nintendo Switch), The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Nintendo Switch), Horizon Zero Dawn (PS4), Rayman Legends (Nintendo Switch) and Spider-Man (PS4).

AlberichUndHagen

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 10, 2020, 11:05:52 AM
I hate to chime in with my two little measly cents, but I thought the first Uncharted was the best of them all. There felt like there was more real action in it than just a game comprised of cut-scenes which you can sometimes partake in. I rank games based on whether the game is worth replaying. None of the Uncharted games for me have been worth revisiting and the same goes The Last of Us. I'm finding that more and more of these next-gen games to be weak on in-game action and more about storytelling. I mean there's nothing wrong with having a strong narrative in a game obviously, but when all you do is watch cut-scene after cut-scene, it gets tedious and boring. It's like "Is this a game or a film?" Thankfully, there have been some fine games that have come out in the past decade that have been awe-inspiring and just flat-out fun to play. A few of them for me have been: The Last Guardian (PS4), Little Nightmares (PS4), Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Nintendo Switch), The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Nintendo Switch), Horizon Zero Dawn (PS4), Rayman Legends (Nintendo Switch) and Spider-Man (PS4).

I see your point. I like the first Uncharted too and Uncharted Golden abyss which is rather similar gameplaywise. Too bad golden abyss is on handheld console.

The greatest game of the decade 2010-2019 in general, is in my opinion Red Dead Redemption 2.

AlberichUndHagen

For what its worth, I think uncharted 1 gameplay isnt quite as varied as in 2 3 and 4 although the amount was good. But it felt a bit too much like same enemy wave after another. I still like it a lot, just not as much as others.

Mirror Image

Quote from: AlberichUndHagen on May 10, 2020, 11:20:37 AM
I see your point. I like the first Uncharted too and Uncharted Golden abyss which is rather similar gameplaywise. Too bad golden abyss is on handheld console.

The greatest game of the decade 2010-2019 in general, is in my opinion Red Dead Redemption 2.

I haven't played Red Dead Redemption 2, but my general problem with Rockstar Games is I don't care anything about the storyline and feel compelled to just go around wreck havoc just to see how long it takes me to get killed, which is the only reason why I play Grand Theft Auto V for example. One Rockstar game I liked a lot was Manhunt on PS2. I'd love for them to make another one of these games for the next-gen consoles, but I don't think it'll happen.

Mirror Image

If backed into a corner at gunpoint and forced to chose a favorite game of the past 10 years, it would be The Last Guardian. This game isn't perfect and there are some issues with controls/camera angles at various points, but I felt deeply immersed in this game's universe. This game was developed by the same makers of Ico and Shadow of the Colossus and it took six years for The Last Guardian to see the light of day and this was mainly because the main driving force behind the game had jumped ship before the game was completed, but he did stay on as a creative consultant. To anyone who likes adventure games with a mythical twist, check out The Last Guardian. For those that don't own a PS4, sorry you can't play this game --- it's a PS exclusive. :)

FelixSkodi

Currently replaying Spec Ops: The Line and Max Payne 3 (both on the Xbox 360).

Super fun.

greg

So just now I finally completed Final Fantasy 11. I started playing the game in summer of 2013, so it's been 7 years to finish the main storyline.

What I mean by completed is: complete all of the main storylines, so basically the Rhapsodies of Vana'diel that they finished up with 4 1/2 years ago, when the game was 13 years old. In three days it's officially legal  ;) (turning 18).

I had to ask for help and someone helped me out for the final fight. Originally wanted to solo it, but sadly that wasn't possible (without possibly as much as months of grinding away first).

Here's an old post of mine back in the day:
Quote from: ibanezmonster on February 28, 2014, 08:58:26 AM

Final Fantasy 11 (2002-)

I have finished my personal "Stage 1" of this game. My character profile, which includes most (by far not all) of my stats and achievements:
http://www.ffxiah.com/player/Shiva/Redrumage

Basically, I leveled one job which was able to solo 99% of the storyline missions. I finished all of the storyline missions in the game except the new Seekers of Adoulin, which I am part of the way through; this storyline isn't even complete and still being written, so I'll have to complete it one day when it is finished.

Nation Storylines:
There are three nation storylines, and I did all three of them: San D'oria, Bastok, and Windurst. My favorite story was Windurst, though San D'oria is what I started with and it will always feel like a second home to me. Bastok is boring, but at least they have Cid. Windurst is such a peaceful place, a place that would be very nice to live in.

Expansion Pack 1: Rise of the Zilart (2003)
Shortest storyline other than one specific annoying mission. I feel that this is like the prelude to Chains of Promathia.

Expansion Pack 2: Chains of Promathia (2004)
Basically the length of some Final Fantasy games. When this came out, it required massive group play for missions lasting several hours, and everyone had to play perfectly to get through the storyline. Everything about it had an "elitist" air about it.
Excellent storyline and most demonstrative of what a Final Fantasy story is actually supposed to be. Top-notch and epic.

Expansion Pack 3: Treasures of Aht Urghan (2006)
A whole new continent is unlocked in this expansion. The storyline tends to be more humorous than epic, as you're working as a mercenary, aka "Eternal Slave" for your master, Naja Salaheem. Imagine a mideastern feel, but with a touch of blue.

Expansion Pack 4: Wings of the Goddess (2007)
The longest storyline, it takes as many hours to be this as a proper Final Fantasy game; it takes place in the past, 20 years ago during the Crystal War, so it has the same areas you're used to, but slightly different. Probably the best storyline, but it wasn't my favorite, if that makes any sense.

Add-on Scenarios: A Crystalline Prophecy, A Moogle Kupo D'Etat, and A Shantotto Ascension (2009)
I've almost finished all of these; I could literally finish these in a few hours if I wanted to, but I just hate asking for help. Nowadays, there's no reason to do these other than the achievements, or if you want, to experience the silly or mediocre storylines. The gear you get as a reward is simply outdated. And if you fail the final battles (which are incredibly tough), you have to redo the previous mission, which take normally at least an hour to complete. Not highly regarded by many.

Add-on Battlefields: Scars of Abyssea, Heroes of Abyssea, Visions of Abyssea (2010)
All I've done in Abyssea is a worm party, once. These are just areas that people use for finding rare items, leveling up or making money (no story). I got all three of these add-ons for free during a promotion, saving me $30! Worm parties are used for quick leveling, so assuming it isn't your first job, you can level up a job from 30 to 99 in a single day.

Expansion Pack 5: Seekers of Adoulin (2013)
So far, the storyline is completely unmemorable, but then again, I'm only somewhat near the beginning. It introduces a new continent, which is very easy to navigate... unless it's for the first time. Colonization reives are basically road blocks to progress and have been an endless source of frustration. This is where most endgame events normally take place, as you can see many players decked out with gear that drops from the megabosses in these zones. I regret not leveling up a job at this point which is acceptable for joining an endgame event that my linkshell (my group) likes to form parties for.

What I want to do for the next time I pick up the game for a few months or so: level up cooking and fishing crafts; level up (at least) samurai, black mage, thief, corsair, and red mage; focus on samurai the most by acquiring tp sets and/or the most current relic armor, possibly doing something similar with corsair; get at least artifact armor for red mage, possibly black mage as well; participate in things like Voidwatch, Monstrosity, etc. However, before I return to FF11, I may end up picking up FF14 first.  ;)

And that's what I spent 1000+ hours on...

greg

Started playing Resident Evil: Origins (which is the remake of RE0 and RE1 for PS4).

A little distracted, though, since the main character, Rebecca Chambers, just seems super attractive to me. The face, haircut, voice, super adorable...

but this is a zombie game. Gotta ignore that.  :P

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 10, 2020, 12:20:08 PM
If backed into a corner at gunpoint and forced to chose a favorite game of the past 10 years, it would be The Last Guardian. This game isn't perfect and there are some issues with controls/camera angles at various points, but I felt deeply immersed in this game's universe. This game was developed by the same makers of Ico and Shadow of the Colossus and it took six years for The Last Guardian to see the light of day and this was mainly because the main driving force behind the game had jumped ship before the game was completed, but he did stay on as a creative consultant. To anyone who likes adventure games with a mythical twist, check out The Last Guardian. For those that don't own a PS4, sorry you can't play this game --- it's a PS exclusive. :)

SOTC is a top 5 game of all time for me, was my favorite when it was first released! The PS4 remastered version is to die for. And I really liked ICO, so I need to check out The Last Guardian.

arpeggio

My wife and I are playing the board game Command and Colors: Ancients.  We are currently playing engagements from the Roman Civil War between Caesar and Pompeii. 

Mirror Image

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on May 14, 2020, 08:18:40 PMSOTC is a top 5 game of all time for me, was my favorite when it was first released! The PS4 remastered version is to die for. And I really liked ICO, so I need to check out The Last Guardian.

I, too, bought it when it came out of PS2, but, man, that PS4 remaster is gorgeous. I used to get lost in this game. I think you'll like The Last Guardian --- it's cheap now. Again, it's far from perfect and the controls/camera can be frustrating at times, but I love this game warts and all.

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 14, 2020, 08:29:11 PM
I, too, bought it when it came out of PS2, but, man, that PS4 remaster is gorgeous. I used to get lost in this game. I think you'll like The Last Guardian --- it's cheap now. Again, it's far from perfect and the controls/camera can be frustrating at times, but I love this game warts and all.

Cool! I went on a video game hiatus for a while starting from 2010-2016 while my son was growing up, so I'm going back and picking up hits from those years now fairly cheap on the PS Store. I'll put The Last Guardian in my wish list.

greg

So, getting through Resident Evil 0, and although it started well, have to say this is possibly the worst game I've ever played. If you want to make a game completely lack fun and be as tedious and petty as possible, make it like this.

It's like encountering someone who at first appears to be some cool goth lady but then is actually, Surprise! A Karen in disguise. And she will scold you for not being perfectly prepared for something you never could have predicted. Just don't play this game without a guide.

greg

Just beat Resident Evil 0, the worst game I've ever played.

First of all, I am finally convinced to never play another RE game on normal difficulty for a first time playthrough. Easy it is, always. But too risky if you haven't conserved ammo enough by the end so you run the risk of having to start the game over again. I was slightly conservative and just barely made it through the last boss. But what is "enough" ammo to save up? These games never tell you, so you just have to guess. Unacceptable. (Maybe this is just an old school gaming problem or something)...

So why don't I break down why I hate this stupid fucking piece of shit game:

-6 inventory spaces per character, no way of increasing it... this is the main complaint you'll hear about the game, and the foundation for countless other problems that always stem back to this
-near the end, there is a part where a frog will randomly just jump at you and kill you... wtf...
-the camera angles always switching at the worst time
-the limited saves, while not a terrible thing per se, will make you super conservative on saves, which leads to excessively replaying 30 minutes because you can't predict what is upcoming that will kill you, and those 30 minute segments consist of at least 15 minutes of inventory shuffling
-inventory shuffling because of only 6 slots... it's like half of what you'll spend time on in the game
-you don't get item boxes to store items, so you have to leave them in random spots. So you will spend a ton of time backtracking for random items since you only get 6 inventory slots. If you leave items too close to a door, you will accidentally open a door. Picking up items need extreme accuracy in positioning your character, which is not very predictable, and sometimes needed while dodging an enemy, which just feels stupid.
-there is no onscreen UI indication of anything, and it is strongly needed- it's easy to forget whether your two characters are in "team mode" or not, and forgetting that can lead to death
-only Rebecca can mix herbs for health, which leads to extra planning steps... why? there is no good reason for this
-exchanging items between characters is only possible when they are physically very close to each other... no good reason for this because it's not like this is a game aiming for realism
-cut scene graphics look worse than the actual gameplay
-boss fights are just terrible... the boss designs are so bland and the mechanics are just about non-existent, except for the bat fight, which just seemed random

What I like about it:

-something about the graphical look is appealing, despite only being an upgrade
-Rebecca is hot
-The three or so costumes the characters have look cool
-the beginning train section is actually not bad, and the ending section is also not bad since they allow backtracking to the training facility to get the items you've left
-it explains more about the origins of the T-Virus, which is the foundation of the whole RE series- this is the main reason for playing it

Trying to understand how anyone could enjoy this game would be hard... seems like it's meant for extremely, extremely detail oriented people, because to sum it up, the nitpickiness of this game is just so off the charts it's unbelievable developers would expect people to enjoy it.

I'm starting the original Resident Evil now, as the other game in the RE Origins disc. Easy mode it is. It's supposed to be better overall than RE0. Expecting to enjoy it somewhat.

greg

I was seriously, not even joking, thinking about how I'd rather be mowing yards or cleaning houses instead of playing this game, and I have enough experience with both that I can say I really don't enjoy those activities at all, to say the least.

Seriously, gotta vent the rage. Been playing it over a week and has been so much misery. I hate this game so much that I just can't describe how deep the hatred is... I thought about breaking the disc and throwing it away, or setting it on fire, to just give an idea. I saw the game designer credits and thankful they are in Japan, because if I saw them in IRL I'd have the strong urge to just slap them in the face.

this review I like:
https://www.ibtimes.co.uk/resident-evil-zero-hd-review-where-it-all-started-go-wrong-capcoms-horror-series-1538516

QuoteThe character switching and inventory management is excruciating. The game gains nothing – no thicker atmosphere, no greater sense of "survival", no memorable moments of team work or decision-making – and loses all momentum and vibrancy as a result of these inexplicable mechanics.

A joyless game. Every section feels like a tedious lateral thinking puzzle – "the farmer has a fox, a chicken and some grain, but can only carry one at a time" – and the locations and creatures are half-heartedly designed.

Who found this interesting? Who played Resident Evil Zero and thought it anything but contrived and perennial? This isn't a petty gripe. It's not that I'm adverse to backtracking, absence of action or any of the other things that stereotypically give petulant critics cause to complain.

I just found myself, time and time again in Resident Evil Zero, laughing at how pedantic and fussy it was, how you couldn't pick up this item if you didn't give your partner that item, how you couldn't swap items unless you were close enough together, how he can't mix herbs and she can't push boxes, and everything has to be just so. I felt like I was addressing the prissy manager of a menswear department: "No sir, we do NOT stock that cravat in periwinkle blue."

So the brighter takeaway from this is to somehow be able to identify the more obnoxious games, put them on easy, and use a walkthrough at all times. That would have helped a lot, instead of being naively optimistic just because some other games don't require that (like the RE 3 remake, for example, which I recently played and enjoyed very much).