What game are you playing?

Started by DavidW, May 09, 2010, 04:07:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

relm1

I'm currently playing Doom Eternal.  It's extremely hard.

greg

Done with Resident Evil 5. Now onto RE6, which will be the last game in the mainline series that I haven't completed yet.

Afterwards will also do a replay of RE4 since it's been a while (also will mean having the whole mainline series solely on PS4).

BTW, there is a youtube video that surprisingly never got taken down, but it is a nude mod of Jill Valentine in the RE3 remake... it looks great but also would be too hilarious to actually play that way.  :D

edit: apparently there's one for Claire in RE2 remake as well... all I can say is wow, the contrast of that in a horror setting is bizarre, but I recommend looking that one up because, um, to put it bluntly, it's freaking hot.  :P :D
Wagie wagie get back in the cagie

greg

Done with Leon's campaign in RE6. There's four total.

What I think about RE6: Very fun! It's what I would call "Hollywood action horror." Capcom actually called it "dramatic horror."

Fast gameplay, many QTE's, constantly running to new locations, exploding helicopters, buildings, trains, etc. very Michael Bay-like.  ;D

Amazing how much of a radical departure this was if you compared it to the earlier series- definitely a waaaaay different genre- it could almost be considered the polar opposite, in fact. In many ways it seems to parallel the Final Fantasy series in how radically it changed up over the years. However, the somewhat return to its roots in RE7 perhaps saved the franchise, because reviews and opinions of RE6 were pretty mixed, since many people don't even consider it a Resident Evil game, even if generally people enjoyed it.

And for the PS5 reveal, funny that the biggest two games they showed were Resident Evil 8 and Horizon Zero Dawn 2, two series that I'm committed to following! No new games coming out this year that I'm for sure going to play, but those two I definitely will end up playing, probably later in the year next year.

greg

Done with replay of RE4, so now I have completed game saves for all of RE 0-7 on my PS4 alone, along with the physical copies of those games lined up.

I've developed a system of backing up saves all on one USB drive + double backup on Google drive cloud storage... for older systems and Nintendo systems in general it is ridiculous what you have to do. I hear the Switch doesn't even let you back up saves to physical media? Horrible.

Anyways, I'm playing Final Fantasy 4: The After Years, which is the sequel to FF4 that was thrown on to the PSP version, which has:

FF4
The Interlude
The After Years

Tbh I'm not the least excited about it. Sure, FF4 was a decent game, but The After Years has had extremely mixed reviews and it's long... like 40 hours long. But I can't not play it. It'll be screaming at me to play it, my playthrough of FF4 is incomplete without playing the sequel. Ugh, there goes another week.  :P

arpeggio

Is this thread just for video games?

greg

stingo

Venturing into Path of Exile (yet again). Even though I keep (re-)creating the same character, I still find the process enjoyable.

greg

Crash Bandicoot 4 announced.

It's been almost 22 years since Crash Bandicoot 3... I have played the N. Sane Trilogy (PS4 remakes of Crash 1, 2, &3), as well as the original Crash games when they came out on PS1 that long ago... so yeah, definitely gonna play Crash 4.

Mirror Image

The only game I'm looking forward to at this juncture is next installment of The Legend of Zelda. I don't know if they'll call it Breath of the Wild II or what.

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Mirror Image on June 29, 2020, 03:41:58 PM
The only game I'm looking forward to at this juncture is next installment of The Legend of Zelda. I don't know if they'll call it Breath of the Wild II or what.

Rumor Mill: It is a sequel to BOTW, and Zelda might be a(the) playable character. Ironically I just started BOTW again from the beginning the other day, still one of the best games ever made.

Mirror Image

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on June 29, 2020, 04:58:16 PM
Rumor Mill: It is a sequel to BOTW, and Zelda might be a(the) playable character. Ironically I just started BOTW again from the beginning the other day, still one of the best games ever made.

Yeah, I knew it was going to be a continuation of Breath of the Wild. Actually, Breath of the Wild scores lower on my Zelda-o-meter than I initially thought. My favorite Zelda game is still Twilight Princess followed by Ocarina of Time. Breath of the Wild would be #3 in my own personal list, but I haven't played any of the Gameboy or DS games as I never owned any of the handheld systems. Skyward Sword has to be one of the worst games in the franchise that I've played. I remember being incredibly disappointed by this game and mainly it's because of the horrible motion controls.

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Mirror Image on June 29, 2020, 05:01:43 PM
Yeah, I knew it was going to be a continuation of Breath of the Wild. Actually, Breath of the Wild scores lower on my Zelda-o-meter than I initially thought. My favorite Zelda game is still Twilight Princess followed by Ocarina of Time. Breath of the Wild would be #3 in my own personal list, but I haven't played any of the Gameboy or DS games as I never owned any of the handheld systems. Skyward Sword has to be one of the worst games in the franchise that I've played. I remember being incredibly disappointed by this game and mainly it's because of the horrible motion controls.

Never did play Skyward, but Twilight was great, a really creative Zelda game, I wish they would make it available on the Switch.

Mirror Image

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on June 29, 2020, 05:20:41 PM
Never did play Skyward, but Twilight was great, a really creative Zelda game, I wish they would make it available on the Switch.

Me too! I'd buy it right now. I remember it came out on the Wii U in a remastered version, but I sold that system only about a couple of months of owning it. Looking back on it, I should've kept the Wii U just for Twilight Princess.

greg

Well I'm done with my only two Game Boy Advance games that I own so far:
Metroid Zero Mission
Metroid Fusion

Basically, they had so much potential for me, but I don't like hard games. And they were hard. And there's no medium or easy mode options.

The Spider boss in Fusion was one of the worst boss battles ever... they really put possibly the most difficult boss I've ever played against in a game, which took probably 10 attempts to defeat, 5 minutes away from the save point? Really?

Zero Mission I had to restart from the beginning after getting nearly halfway through because the navigation gets so confusing that at one point I got hopelessly lost on how to get to this one area that I needed to get to to proceed.

Also gives me such less confidence in the timings that people list on howlongtobeat.com. Sure, something I played recently- Tekken 7 is accurate. But for a game like this (I'm using singular but it applies to both), saying it's "2 1/2 hours" is hilarious. The actual video guide itself I was following, where the guy has the entire game memorized and just blasts through the thing, is 2 hours. My first playthrough is 6 hours after following the guide verbatim.

I just wish they had an easy version of the games... what I really liked was the way movement felt, which seems to be a big factor in how I enjoy action games, much more than I realize over time. But some of the movements are very hard and they don't really explain certain things in the game. Also the gradually gaining new weapons over time does feel very satisfying.

AlberichUndHagen

Finished GTA 3 today. Damn that last mission is hard!!! The only reason I was able to finish it was because I had collected all 100 packages and thus had a rocket launcher at my safe house. Finished off Catalina's helicopter at literally the last shot. Ironic way to spend Christmas perhaps but to each their own I guess.

AlberichUndHagen

Considering it had changed to 24th in my time zone during the last 10 minutes or so I have to correct my post: I finished GTA 3 YESTERDAY.

greg

Putting this here for record-keeping:
Just finished Final Fantasy 3.

The significance of this being: In 2013, I had started my project to play all of the mainline FF games. Although I did beat most of them, there were several that I had almost beaten, but often these games will get you to the last dungeon and you need to spend days doing boring level grinding in order to defeat the final boss, so I just burned out and said that I was done when I really wasn't.

So although I "beat" them, it always bothered me that a few were actually unfinished.

This one was the last one, so I can say (without lying) that I have fully completed FF 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 7R, 8, 9, 10, 10-2, 11, 12, 13, 13-2, 13-3, and 15.

(14 doesn't count because it is going to take some more years for them to finish the main story, but I am following it as they release new content).

So hyped for FF16 and FF7R Part 2! I was thinking that if they really do a full trilogy of FF7R correctly, then as a whole it WILL be my favorite game of all time, no questions (while currently it's hard to choose a favorite).

goboenomo

Still playing minecraft. Just started playing Titanfall 2, Bless Unleashed, and I have FFXV downloaded, which I will be starting soon

greg

Quote from: goboenomo on January 13, 2021, 09:36:10 PM
Still playing minecraft. Just started playing Titanfall 2, Bless Unleashed, and I have FFXV downloaded, which I will be starting soon
Any reason you want to play FFXV?

Probably better to play it nowadays, as it is completed (day one sure was something lol).

But it sure is a wildcard, opinions are very mixed from good to bad and in the middle (i thought it was mediocre).

goboenomo

Quote from: greg on January 14, 2021, 07:12:58 AM
Any reason you want to play FFXV?

Probably better to play it nowadays, as it is completed (day one sure was something lol).

But it sure is a wildcard, opinions are very mixed from good to bad and in the middle (i thought it was mediocre).

My brother told me it was pretty good. He is currently playing through a second time. I was a final fantasy fan all the way up to X-2. That one was terrible, and when I heard XI was going to be an online subscription money grab, I was out.