What game are you playing?

Started by DavidW, May 09, 2010, 04:07:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drogulus

I'm not playing, I'm only observing a game played in July.

https://www.youtube.com/v/FDr4RMvYM1s

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

stingo

Considering jumping into the current season of Path of Exile. Looks good.

goboenomo

Quote from: stingo on January 17, 2021, 10:27:44 PM
Considering jumping into the current season of Path of Exile. Looks good.
I just started torchlight 3. Similar to PoE and Diablo. So far so good. Already doing end game content

DavidW

I've been playing The Last of Us Part 2.  Unpopular opinion: I really like it, in fact more than the first game.  Better story and better gameplay mechanics.

arpeggio

I have always liked sports games.  I do not care for arcade type games.

There was a old computer football game that I liked to play.  They had a coach mode where on only called the plays.  Unfortunantly it is an old DOS game that does not work on Windows.

There was an DOS old hockey game that had a coaches mode.  When could design offensive and defensive setups and worked at changing the lines.

I used to play StratoMatic hockey and football.  These were both board games.

I have just acquired the computer Strato Matic Hockey.  The computer version does a much better job of handling line changes.  I really like it.

greg

Shin Megami Tensei 3: Nocturne (PS2 version)
A cult classic. Has become one of my favorites.
I spent 2 months to get through this game, over 120 hours to get the True Demon ending (best ending).

Something about it speaks to me, being alone in a world devoid of humans, wielding the power of demons to take down everyone, including the final boss Lucifer. All done in a post-apocalyptic Tokyo surrealist landscape.

Even reading about it, reviewers have really hit home just how lonely and desolate the game feels, it's such a contrast from the Persona series which is realistic, having a friend group and a schedule.

The unique plot of the game is about the end of the world happening in the beginning of the game, and in this new Vortex World, the only 3 humans to remain in it conceive their own Reason for how the new world is to be born. It is a sort of rigid philosophy or ideology. One being social Darwinism, another being unity from humanity merging into one hive mind, and the third one being individuals having complete isolation from others.

But if you kill them all, then the world is not reborn and you become the demon of chaos. So beautiful, makes me want to cry.  ;D

It's notoriously difficult, though, and should only be played with a guide if you are serious about finishing it.

Just bought a Japanese Sega Saturn and am playing Sakura Wars, which seems to be mostly a visual novel. Using it for study purposes, there is no official English translation and this game is not on anything but the Saturn, so it's kinda cool to play something that very very few Westerners would actually play.
Wagie wagie get back in the cagie

greg

Final Fantasy 8 remastered (PS4)

Second playthrough, this time on the PS4 remastered version.

I guess the main thing to say is, I feel like there's more emotional depth in this game than any probably any other story from any other media that I've seen- part of it for sure is the music, but for the rest, I'm not sure exactly. Maybe I find Squall to be the most relatable MC and also I really like Rinoa? (still have a poster of her hanging up lol)  :P

The ending... the first five minutes of this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xX1bvl2lD0s

is still my favorite five minute clip of anything, ever. Squall is trying focus on Rinoa while he can to avoid the chaotic disintegrating effects of time compression that is causing the events he/you experience throughout the game to compress.

I actually had a dream once that was the same idea, just the situation was very different... which is another story.

...I also still say that Final Fantasy 6-10 are basically like the Mahler symphonies of video games, the resemblance is uncanny. It's the heart, I guess. If anyone is familiar with both, they might get it.

Mirror Image

I haven't played any video games in months. The last game I was excited about and that I beat was Luigi's Mansion 3. I loved this game. Right now, the only game that's coming out this year that excites me is Metroid Dread:

All I have to say is I'm so thankful it's a side-scroller like the original one and Super Metroid (plus many of the Gameboy games, which I never owned).

https://www.youtube.com/v/8BeZcMQpSXQ

greg

Metroid Dread should be good. If it's like the other sidescrolling ones, it'll be a challenge.

Kind of on a project collecting retro games and systems. Will be extremely expensive in the long run, but the price of old games only goes up and up so might as well get them now. Have probably bought over 50 so far now. Probably about half overall are Japanese versions, saves money. For people that can't read Japanese, I wouldn't recommend retro game collecting at all, unless it's certain systems (like original Xbox) or you just have a ton of money.

Mirror Image

Quote from: greg on August 11, 2021, 06:05:12 PM
Metroid Dread should be good. If it's like the other sidescrolling ones, it'll be a challenge.

Kind of on a project collecting retro games and systems. Will be extremely expensive in the long run, but the price of old games only goes up and up so might as well get them now. Have probably bought over 50 so far now. Probably about half overall are Japanese versions, saves money. For people that can't read Japanese, I wouldn't recommend retro game collecting at all, unless it's certain systems (like original Xbox) or you just have a ton of money.

Indeed. The oldest system I have in my possession in the Super NES, which I still consider the greatest console of all-time. As great as the NES was, the Super NES had even better games. Two of the reasons why I rate this system so highly is because of the first and second Donkey Kong Country games. These are two of my favorite games of all-time.

relm1

I just picked up Tim Schafer's Pyschonauts 2.

DavidW

I replayed a bunch of bioware games this summer.  Mass Effect Legendary edition was a great remaster because it didn't screw with what worked while doing a major much needed overhaul of the combat and controls of the first game.  I then replayed the Dragon Age games.  I don't see them remastering those games.  Origins would greatly benefit from a remaster in the same way that ME1 did.  But Dragon Age 2 has so many identical repeated dungeons that would need to be addressed and the combat needs an overhaul more so than any other Bioware game excepting Jade Empire.  Might be too much work, especially for such an unpopular game.  And then Inquisition doesn't really need anything except to get the pc textures and higher res on console.

greg

Quote from: relm1 on August 29, 2021, 05:33:38 AM
I just picked up Tim Schafer's Pyschonauts 2.
How is it?
I will almost certainly get this game in some time.
Haven't played the original, but is annoying that there is no physical release apart from the super expensive and rare Limited Run version for PS4.
I could settle for the original PS2 version, but since it will be quite a while before I even get into this series, I don't know if I should or not....   

relm1

Quote from: greg on August 29, 2021, 08:44:36 AM
How is it?
I will almost certainly get this game in some time.
Haven't played the original, but is annoying that there is no physical release apart from the super expensive and rare Limited Run version for PS4.
I could settle for the original PS2 version, but since it will be quite a while before I even get into this series, I don't know if I should or not....   

Extremely good reviews.  I didn't play the original one but this one gives you a brief animation at the start to catch up you so you have some idea of what's going on.  It has a lot of humor and heart and a very good story with a strong message but I got that from the reviews as I'm still very early in to my experience with it and about to switch computers so might be a few days before I can sink in to it.

PaulR

Quote from: DavidW on August 29, 2021, 06:01:13 AM
I replayed a bunch of bioware games this summer.  Mass Effect Legendary edition was a great remaster because it didn't screw with what worked while doing a major much needed overhaul of the combat and controls of the first game.  I then replayed the Dragon Age games.  I don't see them remastering those games.  Origins would greatly benefit from a remaster in the same way that ME1 did.  But Dragon Age 2 has so many identical repeated dungeons that would need to be addressed and the combat needs an overhaul more so than any other Bioware game excepting Jade Empire.  Might be too much work, especially for such an unpopular game.  And then Inquisition doesn't really need anything except to get the pc textures and higher res on console.
It's a shame with DAII.  I think the combat was fine, mostly.  It was better than DA:O in terms of combat (Though DA:O and Awakens had the best story), but EA forcing Bioware to release it really negatively impacted the game.  I would love for them to remake II and include at least the DLC legacy into the main story.

Is it going to happen?  No.  Would I trust them not to screw it up?  Also no (even after ME:LE)

I am currently playing Final Fantasy XV Windows Edition

greg

Just finished Final Fantasy Type 0 HD (got PS platinum). It's an okay game but nothing super amazing. Very tragic story. Biggest strength might be the replay value (though I don't think I enjoyed it enough to replay it).

Currently replaying Half-Life 2, the PS3 Orange Box edition. Don't think I ever played Episode One and Two, so that may actually be new (originally played HL2 many years ago on PC).

Also was playing some Dead or Alive Extreme 3: Fortune (for PS4) during the weekend. It's only in Japanese, though... they never brought it to the West since they think it wouldn't sell, and also it was too controversial for leftist Twitter prudes, apparently.

But yeah, Nyotengu and Honoka especially, if I had to choose my two favorite... wow.  0:)

DavidW

Quote from: PaulR on August 31, 2021, 07:40:46 AM
It's a shame with DAII.  I think the combat was fine, mostly.  It was better than DA:O in terms of combat (Though DA:O and Awakens had the best story), but EA forcing Bioware to release it really negatively impacted the game.  I would love for them to remake II and include at least the DLC legacy into the main story.

Is it going to happen?  No.  Would I trust them not to screw it up?  Also no (even after ME:LE)

I am currently playing Final Fantasy XV Windows Edition

My problem with Origins combat is that it was trying to please the crpg crowd and the console crowd and doing neither well (my same problem with Witcher 2).  My problem with DA 2 combat is that the cooldown timers are too long, and the mobs are too large so that you're mashing the attack button way too much waiting for a chance to use a special ability.  I think Inquisition nailed it.  It had the fluidity of the second, but the strategic nature of the first and the cooldown timers were just right and the mob sizes were just right.

I really liked FF XV even though many disliked it.

staxomega

MGS 3 has my favorite ending to a video game  ;D I was feeling nostalgic so I watched the ending in HD, I've only played it on PS2. The whole MGS series is probably my favorite, though I've only played the first three.

This isn't the ending, just a live, orchestrated version of the opening theme.

https://www.youtube.com/v/I8pg2XoQTlA

DavidW

I sold my ps4 and switch last weekend.  Since I sold my graphics cards earlier in the summer I'm now down to just my Xbox.

Ganondorf

Quote from: greg on August 31, 2021, 08:14:22 AM
Currently replaying Half-Life 2, the PS3 Orange Box edition. Don't think I ever played Episode One and Two, so that may actually be new (originally played HL2 many years ago on PC).

Interesting! I definitely recommend Episodes 1 and 2, in fact along with original half life 1, Episode 2 is my favorite half life game, better than half Life 2 and alyx. Episode 1 is probably worst of the bunch but still guaranteed Valve quality.