What game are you playing?

Started by DavidW, May 09, 2010, 04:07:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

greg

Quote from: Ganondorf on September 18, 2021, 04:56:27 AM
Interesting! I definitely recommend Episodes 1 and 2, in fact along with original half life 1, Episode 2 is my favorite half life game, better than half Life 2 and alyx. Episode 1 is probably worst of the bunch but still guaranteed Valve quality.
I just finished everything and I like them all. Surprisingly, I wasn't spoiled from the ending of Episode 2 considering how long it's been and how often I'm online.  :P
But yeah, the selling point of the franchise is mainly the top-notch gameplay, though the atmosphere of the world is something I think is also pretty good.

Alyx is the only entry in the Half-Life series I have not played yet. Will have to dust off my Vive headset and get around to it sometime.

Currently playing the original Silent Hill game- originally I had played nearly half of the game a long time ago but never finished- just got to the point now, actually. Also interesting that the JP version has English voice acting.
Wagie wagie get back in the cagie

greg

Well, for anyone who thinks having a motivated and highly determined personality is a great thing, just let me share with you that there's games like Silent Hill for PS1 which can give you really unreasonable expectations (normal difficulty) near the end of the game and then makes it almost impossible to complete without starting over the whole game. It's still possible, but not worth it. The experience is hours of completely miserable non-fun stress.

And I made it a mission to complete every game that I decide to finish, but now there's several games: Kya, Final Fantasy Tactics, Silent Hill, which I've just given up on. But the problem is, I'll always remember those games and will want to take revenge on them years later and complete them. Will probably give these games another shot in 5-10 years.

Anyways, moving on:

Played a couple of days and now that I've quit Silent Hill, this will be my main game for quite a while, perhaps for the next month or two.

First observations: very complicated control scheme, but to me that adds to the fun (being a musician, more complex finger movements are always welcome).

First Zelda game (apart from a few hours of Ocarina of Time) that I've played. Very relaxing, the exploration is really fun and the stuff you can do is really cool. Really enjoying it.

Mirror Image

Quote from: greg on September 24, 2021, 09:54:21 AMAnyways, moving on:

Played a couple of days and now that I've quit Silent Hill, this will be my main game for quite a while, perhaps for the next month or two.

First observations: very complicated control scheme, but to me that adds to the fun (being a musician, more complex finger movements are always welcome).

First Zelda game (apart from a few hours of Ocarina of Time) that I've played. Very relaxing, the exploration is really fun and the stuff you can do is really cool. Really enjoying it.

I enjoyed The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, but it didn't quite feel like a "Zelda game" to me. For starters, there weren't any dungeons, which I've become accustomed to for every other Zelda game I've played. I also didn't like the fact that you couldn't do any deep underwater exploration. You only can swim on the surface and, to me, this removes me even further from the game. The lack of puzzles, especially those that are normally found in dungeons are absent to a large extent. I mean you have some puzzle-solving, but nothing quite like other games. I truly hope that the next installment that comes out (probably next year) will have these three curial factors. What I did like a lot is the exploration aspect of it and this is the first truly open-world Zelda game as all of the other games in this franchise up to this point were linear.

In other news, I'm currently obsessed with Metroid Dread:

This is an absolute masterpiece of a game. I don't hand out this type of prestige to many games, because it takes a lot to impress me, but being a Metroid fan since Super Metroid came out on Super Nintendo in the early 90s, I've been longing for a 2D platformer that does what Super Metroid did, but even better. On this front, Metroid Dread more than delivers. I won't get into specifics, but this is a challenging game and there have been many points where I was basically stuck and simply couldn't advance any further until I had no choice but to look up via Google how to get out of the trap I sat for myself. I don't like to do this, but I was getting frustrated. But, make no mistake, I have had many moments where I've grinned ear to ear in just the sheer excitement that this game gives me. I've played pretty much all day today with several needed breaks of course. Anyway, I haven't been this excited for a game in a long time, although I did rather like Luigi's Mansion 3. I may go back and replay that game after I complete Metroid Dread.

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 11, 2021, 07:16:54 PM

In other news, I'm currently obsessed with Metroid Dread:

This is an absolute masterpiece of a game. I don't hand out this type of prestige to many games, because it takes a lot to impress me, but being a Metroid fan since Super Metroid came out on Super Nintendo in the early 90s, I've been longing for a 2D platformer that does what Super Metroid did, but even better. On this front, Metroid Dread more than delivers. I won't get into specifics, but this is a challenging game and there have been many points where I was basically stuck and simply couldn't advance any further until I had no choice but to look up via Google how to get out of the trap I sat for myself. I don't like to do this, but I was getting frustrated. But, make no mistake, I have had many moments where I've grinned ear to ear in just the sheer excitement that this game gives me. I've played pretty much all day today with several needed breaks of course. Anyway, I haven't been this excited for a game in a long time, although I did rather like Luigi's Mansion 3. I may go back and replay that game after I complete Metroid Dread.

Metroid Dread rocks! I've been playing it all weekend. And you're not alone in feeling challenged, John, I too had to look up where to go next and it turned out to be something as simple as shooting/breaking a wall to advance to the next room.

I also recently played through Portal 2, which was amazing. Highly recommended.

Mirror Image

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on October 12, 2021, 05:57:33 AM

Metroid Dread rocks! I've been playing it all weekend. And you're not alone in feeling challenged, John, I too had to look up where to go next and it turned out to be something as simple as shooting/breaking a wall to advance to the next room.

Glad you're enjoying Metroid Dread as well, Greg. 8) I'd give this game a 10/10 in that I believe it's one of the best games I've played in the last 20 years. I'll probably avoid Portals 2 in that I'm not a fan of 1st person shooters. I know many who are, but I just don't like that particular viewpoint for a video game.

DavidW

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on October 12, 2021, 05:57:33 AM

Yeah that is one of my favorite games, I've played it through several times.

Quote"All right, I've been thinking, when life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade! Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager!
Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man whose gonna burn your house down - with the lemons!"

;D

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: DavidW on October 12, 2021, 02:14:44 PM
"All right, I've been thinking, when life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade! Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager!
Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man whose gonna burn your house down - with the lemons!"

Ha! They had quality writers on that game.

greg

Well, I have a lot to say about Metroid Dread but want to finish it before posting anything.

greg

I won't say a lot.

I'm not into difficult games. Playing this game is like going to a restaurant and having top notch, excellent quality food but the chefs can randomly come to your table and punch you in the face throughout the course of your meal. And there is no option to not have them do that, that's apparently part of the whole experience.

Replaying bosses 3-5 times to learn them is fine. 10-20 times makes it feel very tedious, like studying for an exam.

But if future games had a normal difficulty setting, I'd play them without question. This series has the best gameplay for any side-scrolling games I've played (with the note that I've never played Castlevania). But why play this series when I have a million other games to play that are also fun, but not obnoxious?

I think the same thing for the other two Metroid games I completed (Fusion and Zero Mission), though this one was my favorite.

Umbrella166

Lately I've been loving playing mini-games.
Recently I also came across a good website https://www.friv5online.com/.
There are a lot of games for all tastes.
  I don't like to play long games and I mostly play on my phone, so I like minigames more))
  For example, snake and the like.
It really helps me to distract myself from bad thoughts.

greg

Next month will be playing FF14: Endwalker, logged in a few times this month but the login times are still 2-3 hours, so for now have played the first half of Persona 5: Strikers in the meantime.

Nice to see the success of FF14, started playing just a few months after its release in 2013 and have been following it since. Going to switch to Reaper- my main was Monk for the first four years and then Samurai the next four. So yeah, melee DPS like always. (I've tried tank and healer before, but they just felt weird to play, I much prefer focusing on damage).

Interesting that the problems are so bad with the servers (caused by the chip shortage) that they are temporarily suspending purchases of the game. And they are refunding the playerbase the first week (could be more weeks, don't know yet). Seems like it's becoming too popular for its own good.

stingo

Warhammer 40K Inquisitor - Martyr and Graveyard Keeper

Elgarian Redux

I'm still playing Red Dead Redemption 2, more or less continuously since it first appeared. I've never thought of it as a game - more as a virtual theme park, or an interactive movie. It was the sole reason for my purchase of a PS4, and still is.

DavidW

I've been playing Cyberpunk 2077.  After all those patches it is honestly a great game and worth playing.

greg

Finishing Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey Redux tomorrow, will start playing Final Fantasy Origin: Stranger of Paradise right after that, when I get the delivery (was supposed to be today).

Quote from: DavidW on March 20, 2022, 02:48:31 PM
I've been playing Cyberpunk 2077.  After all those patches it is honestly a great game and worth playing.
Must have required a ton of patience.

DavidW

Quote from: greg on March 20, 2022, 09:15:57 PM
Finishing Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey Redux tomorrow, will start playing Final Fantasy Origin: Stranger of Paradise right after that, when I get the delivery (was supposed to be today).

Must have required a ton of patience.

Yes I've waited close to a year and a half!  Many people jump on a game when it releases and fight bugs.  I frequently wait for a sale and the game is significantly patched.

Mirror Image

Looking forward to Kirby and the Forgotten Land coming out for Nintendo Switch on the 25th:

greg

Let me know what you think of the Kirby game. I might consider it in the future, going to be preoccupied right now, though.

Mirror Image

Quote from: greg on March 21, 2022, 10:18:57 AM
Let me know what you think of the Kirby game. I might consider it in the future, going to be preoccupied right now, though.

Will do, Greg. I'm not familiar with Kirby's story and the general "folklore' surrounding the universe he inhabits, but the demo for this game was enjoyable. Looking forward to playing the full game.

LKB

Rather oddly for an old fart, l currently am active in:

Diablo 3
Star Trek Online
Unreal Tournament

Lots of D3 today...
Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...