Quote from: LKB on March 21, 2022, 07:43:15 PM
Rather oddly for an old fart, l currently am active in:

Diablo 3
Star Trek Online
Unreal Tournament

Lots of D3 today...

Well not odd, those are all old games!

greg

Few weeks ago, finished one playthrough of Nier Replicant. Super modern-ish JRPG, I enjoyed Nier Automata so thought I'd try this as well. Quite innovative.

Starting to play through some old games that I've wanted to play for many, many years, but just never did. All on physical consoles (no emulation), some of the games are so expensive, like the last two I just completed (Silent Hill 3 and 4), that it was cheaper to just buy a Japanese PS2 and the Japanese version of the games instead of the North American releases.

SH 3 and 4 were both great, SH 4 being way different than the others in the series.

So, one of the games that I started playing now that I have been waiting the longest to seriously play through is Metal Gear Solid 1. It's like 23 years old. I originally played the demo of it (many times) at the age of 11. Currently playing the downloaded version that comes with the PS3 Legacy Collection, though. Eventually will get through the whole series, will do casually and will take a few years. Only played 3 hours so far, but it's fantastic.
Wagie wagie get back in the cagie

Ganondorf

Not exactly playing but I have become a big Ace Attorney fan, having watched Let's Play's of the first 4 games and currently on the fifth, Miles Edgeworth investigations. The first 3 games were superb, even Justice for all, which some players hate. But maybe that's the thing: I'm watching LP:s, not playing them so I could be painfully frustrated if I actually played Justice for all.  ;D

Ganondorf

As for something which I have actually played, I spent the entire last year completing Red Dead Redemption 2 in 100 % and last December finally made it. This year I have been playing the first part on Ps3, intending to complete it 100 % as well, provided my Ps3 doesn't die before that. Never played Revolver yet.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Mirror Image on March 21, 2022, 09:27:47 AM
Looking forward to Kirby and the Forgotten Land coming out for Nintendo Switch on the 25th:

I've really been enjoying this game. I'd give it a 9.5/10 so far. It will definitely have replay value as there's some challenging courses here and it'll be interesting to 100% the game. I'm not too familiar with Kirby and the games that proceeded this one. Kirby is one of the stars of the Nintendo company (not quite on par with Mario or Link, but quite close). I'd love to see a Donkey Kong Switch game in the future as this was always a favorite character of mine.

DavidW

I've been replaying The Outer Worlds.  Now that I know how easy the game is, I'm making a much more diverse build distributing points in all sorts of categories.  The dialogue options from science/medicine/engineering/persuade are more rewarding than maximizing the ability to use a gun.

greg

I retook the quantic foundry gamer type quiz (this is the best "what type of gamer are you?" quiz I've found online)

https://apps.quanticfoundry.com/surveys/answer/gamerprofile/
The Action Components (96%)
Gamers with high Action scores are aggressive and like to jump in the fray and be surrounded by dramatic visuals and effects. Gamers with low Action scores prefer slower-paced games with calmer settings.

Destruction (94%): Gamers who score high on this component are agents of chaos and destruction. They love having many tools at their disposal to blow things up and cause relentless mayhem. They enjoy games with lots of guns and explosives. They gravitate towards titles like Call of Duty and Battlefield. And if they accidentally find themselves in games like The Sims, they are the ones who figure out innovative ways to get their Sims killed.

Excitement (93%): Gamers who score high on this component enjoy games that are fast-paced, intense, and provide a constant adrenaline rush. They want to be surprised. They want gameplay that is full of action and thrills, and rewards them for rapid reaction times. While this style of gameplay can be found in first-person shooters like Halo, it can also be found in games like Street Fighter and Injustice, as well as energetic platformers like BIT.TRIP RUNNER.

The Social Components (26%)
Gamers with high Social scores enjoy interacting with other players, often regardless of whether they are collaborating or competing with them. Gamers with low Social scores prefer solo gaming experiences where they can be independent.

Competition (49%): Gamers who score high on this component enjoy competing with other players, often in duels, matches, or team-vs-team scenarios. Competitive gameplay can be found in titles like Starcraft, League of Legends, or the PvP Battlegrounds in World of Warcraft. But competition isn't always overtly combative; competitive players may care about being acknowledged as the best healer in a guild, or having a high ranking/level on a Facebook farming game relative to their friends.

Community (13%): Gamers who score high on Community enjoy socializing and collaborating with other people while gaming. They like chatting and grouping up with other players. This might be playing Portal 2 with a friend, playing Mario Kart at a party, or being part of a large guild/clan in an online game. They enjoy being part of a team working towards a common goal. For them, games are an integral part of maintaining their social network.

The Mastery Components (31%)
Gamers with high Mastery scores like challenging gaming experiences with strategic depth and complexity. Gamers with low Mastery scores enjoy being spontaneous in games and prefer games that are accessible and forgiving when mistakes are made.

Challenge (20%): Gamers who score high on Challenge enjoy playing games that rely heavily on skill and ability. They are persistent and take the time to practice and hone their gameplay so they can take on the most difficult missions and bosses that the game can offer. These gamers play at the highest difficulty settings and don't mind failing missions repeatedly in games like Dark Souls because they know it's the only way they'll master the game. They want gameplay that constantly challenges them.

Strategy (52%): Gamers who score high on this component enjoy games that require careful decision-making and planning. They like to think through their options and likely outcomes. These may be decisions related to balancing resources and competing goals, managing foreign diplomacy, or finding optimal long-term strategies. They tend to enjoy both the tactical combat in games like XCOM or Fire Emblem, as well as seeing their carefully-devised plans come to fruition in games like Civilization, Cities: Skylines, or Europa Universalis.

The Achievement Components (73%)
Gamers with high Achievement scores are driven to accrue power, rare items, and collectibles, even if this means grinding for a while. Gamers with low Achievement scores have a relaxed attitude towards in-game achievements and don't worry too much about their scores or progress in the game.

Completion (71%): Gamers with high Completion scores want to finish everything the game has to offer. They try to complete every mission, find every collectible, and discover every hidden location. For some players, this may mean completing every listed achievement or unlocking every possible character/move in a game. For gamers who score high on Design, this may mean collecting costumes and mounts in games like World of Warcraft.

Power (68%): Gamers who score high on this component strive for power in the context of the game world. They want to become as powerful as possible, seeking out the tools and equipment needed to make this happen. In RPGs and action games, this may mean maxing stats or acquiring the most powerful weapons or artifacts. Power and Completion often go hand in hand, but some players enjoy collecting cosmetic items without caring about power, and some players prefer attaining power through strategic optimization rather than grinding.

The Creativity Components (45%)
Gamers with high Creativity scores are constantly experimenting with their game worlds and tailoring them with their own designs and customizations. Gamers with low Creativity scores are more practical in their gaming style and accept their game worlds as they are.

Discovery (40%): Gamers who score high on Discovery are constantly asking "What if?" For them, game worlds are fascinating contraptions to open up and tinker with. In an MMO, they might swim out to the edge of the ocean to see what happens. In MineCraft, they might experiment with whether crafting outcomes differ by the time of day or proximity to zombies. They "play" games in the broadest sense of the word, often in ways not intended or imagined by the game's developers.

Design (52%): Gamers who score high on this component want to actively express their individuality in the game worlds they find themselves in. In games like Mass Effect, they put a lot of time and effort in the character creation process. In city-building games or space strategy games, they take the time to design and customize exactly how their city or spaceships look. To this end, they prefer games that provide the tools and assets necessary to make this possible and easy to do.

The Immersion Components (93%)
Gamers with high Immersion scores want games with interesting narratives, characters, and settings so they can be deeply immersed in the alternate worlds created by games. Gamers with low Immersion scores are more grounded in the gameplay mechanics and care less about the narrative experiences that games offer.

Fantasy (92%): Gamers who score high on Fantasy want their gaming experiences to allow them to become someone else, somewhere else. They enjoy the sense of being immersed in an alter ego in a believable alternate world, and enjoy exploring a game world just for the sake of exploring it. These gamers enjoy games like Skyrim, Fallout, and Mass Effect for their fully imagined alternate settings.

Story (89%): Gamers who score high on Story want games with elaborate campaign storylines and a cast of multidimensional characters with interesting back-stories and personalities. They take the time to delve into the back-stories of characters in games like Dragon Age and Mass Effect, and enjoy the elaborate and thoughtful narratives in games like The Last of Us and BioShock. Gamers who score low on Story tend to find dialogue and quest descriptions to be distracting and skip through them if possible.

Your Quantic Gamer Type :
BOUNTY HUNTER
Player Type Image   
Gamer Type Motto:

"High-Octane, Solo World Exploration."

Your primary (dominant) player type is the Bounty Hunter.

Bounty Hunters are solo, action-oriented explorers who want game worlds that they can make their own through customization and discovery. They also enjoy power progression and unleashing mayhem.

Also replaying Mirror's Edge, will probably replay this game a million times in my lifetime, eventually until I can play through in like an hour.  ;D

TheGSMoeller

Sea of Thieves is a simple, but very enjoyable MMO I play with my son and a few buddies.
Ghosts of Tsushima is a beautiful, and violent game. The graphics and game play are phenomenal, and the little details and moments such as stopping in a peaceful spot to reflect and compose a haiku add to the high-level character interaction that the player gets to experience. 

greg

I might have to try Ghost of Tsushima eventually, I anticipate it will be a great experience.
But when I get a PS5, my first game will probably be Ghostwire: Tokyo- aesthetically/visually that game to me is possibly #1 just based on what I'm seeing. Tokyo + surrealism is exactly what I want to see.

I just had a random thought about games.
So I was trying to figure out why I don't really like challenge in games much, but I LOVE it when playing a musical instrument, how to put it in words why that is.
I know exactly why now, there are exactly two reasons why:

1) tedious trial and error.
With music, you can isolate the difficult parts. With games, you have to start over from the beginning every single time (boss fights, for example). Imagine how tedious it would be if to learn a four minute song you had to start over from the very beginning every single time. I'd probably quit music at that point.  :-X

2) non-replayability.
When I learn a difficult skill, the point is to enjoy the rich complexity that it provides. I don't want to abandon it, I want to revisit from time to time. However, most games don't offer the easy access to replay a boss. So what's the point, unless you play through it multiple times in a short time period (when memory is fresh)? I'm not going to replay a 20-50 hour game right when I finish it, I'm ready to move on. Would be nice if games offered a boss selection screen so that you if you have 20 minutes to burn before bedtime, you can just turn on a game and revisit a boss and take it down better each time, refining your accuracy.

I wonder if there are any (single player) games where those two are not really a problem. If not, then I guess I'll continue to only play games on either easy or medium difficulty (with rare hard mode exceptions).

greg

Finished Metal Gear Solid 2 just now.

Weird to watch the ending, considering the game was from 2001. The themes very much feel like they should be from 2021.

Other people have noticed that, if you do a search. Mainly about AI censorship and control of information to create mainstream narratives. I don't remember any of that being a concern all the way back in 2000/2001 when the internet was just starting to be adopted, it really feels like Kojima was looking into the future.

Ok, on to #3 now.

greg

Quote from: greg on May 10, 2022, 02:02:29 PM
I wonder if there are any (single player) games where those two are not really a problem.
To answer my own question, probably FF7 remake is a good example. For replayability, there has to be segments that are short (~ <= 2 hours). You can sit down during one single late night evening and replay a single chapter from the chapter select and be done with it. I actually WILL replay this game on hard mode, I feel like it's worth it even if it didn't have trophies for it, and this is a big reason why.

(FF14 is an example of a multiplayer game where you can just back and fight the same bosses, as with any other MMORPG)

So I looked it up, Elden Ring does NOT have a chapter select. This is an example of what I'm talking about when I don't understand game difficulty. People report spending over 50 times attempting the same boss battle, but once it's done, they can't immediately replay it in the same or harder difficulty. They have to play the game over again, which is like 50-100 hours. So what is even the point of experiencing that much frustration throughout the game? There's plenty of other open world games with a great experience that you can play that aren't so frustrating. And there's other games (like FF7 remake) where you can repeat the enjoyment of boss fights quickly without having to replay the entire game again.

It almost seems like people either 1) have WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY more patience than me, or 2) enjoy these types of games purely as achievement-seeking, for some reason I don't understand valuing the achievement itself so much that fun doesn't matter (like compensating for lack of achievement in their personal life).

Mirror Image

Talking to yourself again I see, Greg. ;)

In other news...

I've almost finished Kirby and the Forgotten Land for Nintendo Switch. I'm now going to give this game a rating of 10/10. I don't allot such a high rating to video games very often and this is only because I'm picky and extremely critical of how a game plays and feels. Of course, fun factor and replay value are also incredibly important. I feel this new Kirby game is a step-up in the right direction for this particular franchise. It's often said that the first game is the best in terms of originating a style, but I'm hoping subsequent 3D platformer Kirby games are created and continue this creative direction.

greg

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 11, 2022, 08:40:49 AM
Talking to yourself again I see, Greg. ;)
You into any difficult games or have played MGS?
I might have to ask someone that's into the Dark Souls games why they like that sort of difficulty- actually my friend here is an example, might have to check sometime (he even platinumed the first two games).

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 11, 2022, 08:40:49 AM
I've almost finished Kirby and the Forgotten Land for Nintendo Switch. I'm now going to give this game a rating of 10/10. I don't allot such a high rating to video games very often and this is only because I'm picky and extremely critical of how a game plays and feels. Of course, fun factor and replay value are also incredibly important. I feel this new Kirby game is a step-up in the right direction for this particular franchise. It's often said that the first game is the best in terms of originating a style, but I'm hoping subsequent 3D platformer Kirby games are created and continue this creative direction.
Nice. I used to play the first one a lot back ~20+ years ago. Recently bought a used copy of the original game along with the second game for use in my GBA.

Platformers are kind of a "mid" genre to me, they're great as a sort of way to distract in-between any major JRPG titles.

I guess you could say Mirror's Edge is a platformer, but being first person and mostly about keeping momentum, gives it a waaaaaay different feel. It's almost like a fusion between a racing game and a platformer, resulting in something that is more fun than both. The need to conserve speed, mixed with the quick reaction timing needed, makes it feel more like playing an instrument than other games.

#1 and #2 biggests misfortunes for gaming in the future would be to me is if they #1 screw up or don't do the Final Fantasy remakes, and #2 if they don't make any more games like Mirror's Edge.

Mirror Image

Quote from: greg on May 11, 2022, 11:27:29 AM
You into any difficult games or have played MGS?
I might have to ask someone that's into the Dark Souls games why they like that sort of difficulty- actually my friend here is an example, might have to check sometime (he even platinumed the first two games).

Nice. I used to play the first one a lot back ~20+ years ago. Recently bought a used copy of the original game along with the second game for use in my GBA.

Platformers are kind of a "mid" genre to me, they're great as a sort of way to distract in-between any major JRPG titles.

I guess you could say Mirror's Edge is a platformer, but being first person and mostly about keeping momentum, gives it a waaaaaay different feel. It's almost like a fusion between a racing game and a platformer, resulting in something that is more fun than both. The need to conserve speed, mixed with the quick reaction timing needed, makes it feel more like playing an instrument than other games.

#1 and #2 biggests misfortunes for gaming in the future would be to me is if they #1 screw up or don't do the Final Fantasy remakes, and #2 if they don't make any more games like Mirror's Edge.

I remember getting into Metal Gear Solid back in the days of the first Playstation, but that was about it. I never got into the other ones for the later PS consoles. Honestly, I'm more into Nintendo, but there have been a few PS exclusive games that have impressed me: Shadow of the Colossus (esp. the new remaster of it on PS4), Crash Bandicoot (I still need to get around to playing the latest installment to this series), Marvel's Spider-Man, Grand Theft Audio V, Horizon Zero Dawn, Batman: Arkham City and the Uncharted series. I never have liked any first-person shooter games as I don't like that particular viewpoint in a game. Anyway, I seldom play my PS4 and continue to play my Nintendo a good bit.

greg

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 11, 2022, 04:42:16 PM
Crash Bandicoot (I still need to get around to playing the latest installment to this series)
Me too! Was just watching gameplay yesterday, played the N.Sane Trilogy back a few years ago so all caught up and ready, just haven't gotten around to it.

Horizon Zero Dawn
Great game, though I don't care much to play the new one. Coolest things: the big story twist/reveal near the end, the cauldrons (dungeons), and a personal favorite: sneaking up behind people and slitting their throat, makes me laugh every time.  ;D

I never have liked any first-person shooter games as I don't like that particular viewpoint in a game.
Interesting.
The camera angle I don't care for is top-down for anything RPG-like, for example Hades/Diablo 3/etc.- though it is totally necessary if you are playing something like an SRPG like Fire Emblem or turn-based strategy like Civilization.
It's more like, watching the gameplay of those types of games make me want to play a game that is a typical third or first person... something about playing as a character is more fun that managing a bunch of stuff. Although the management can be fun sometimes- I don't dislike it at all, just not my favorite.

greg

Watched the State of Play, super excited about Resident Evil 4 Remake and Final Fantasy 16 coming out next year.
(16 is "basically done" but they are taking a TON of time to polish and perfect everything).

FF16 graphics looking jaw-dropping, seems this game will have an extremely dark tone and also be mostly a single character (no party members), which is a huge difference from most of the games in the series. And looks open world-ish, so it seems more Elden Ring-style.

But the odds of it being a masterpiece are extremely high. The last true single player entry in the series that was a true masterpiece was 10, back 21 years ago. Although the MMO releases have been successful (11 and 14), the single player games have had so many issues (even if there is a lot to love), the series just sort of fell off a cliff after 10.

RE 4 remake I'm just wondering what in the world they are doing to make what is widely considered one of the greatest games of all time, even better.

Mirror Image

Quote from: greg on June 04, 2022, 07:30:10 AMRE 4 remake I'm just wondering what in the world they are doing to make what is widely considered one of the greatest games of all time, even better.

Not one of the greatest games of all-time for me. For others, perhaps.

greg

Quote from: Mirror Image on June 04, 2022, 07:33:26 AM
Not one of the greatest games of all-time for me. For others, perhaps.
I go by this list still, seems the best one to use:
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/games/rankings

RE4 is #17. There is a game I feel similarly to on this list, I disagree with the popular opinion: #14, Xenoblade Chronicles. Everything about the game on paper is something I'd love. I played the entire thing (extremely long game), and nope, not a fan.

Actually... just noticed MGS 3 is #5. Wow... still playing that one, super enjoyable game and my favorite out of the first three.

Mirror Image

Quote from: greg on June 04, 2022, 03:04:34 PM
I go by this list still, seems the best one to use:
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/games/rankings

RE4 is #17. There is a game I feel similarly to on this list, I disagree with the popular opinion: #14, Xenoblade Chronicles. Everything about the game on paper is something I'd love. I played the entire thing (extremely long game), and nope, not a fan.

Actually... just noticed MGS 3 is #5. Wow... still playing that one, super enjoyable game and my favorite out of the first three.

Interesting list. My "Top 3" video games of all-time would be in order: The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, Donkey Kong Country and Shadow of the Colossus. For me, it doesn't get any better than these games.

LKB

Has anyone played any of the incarnations of Witcher? I'm considering giving it a try, STO and D3 both seem a bit stale atm.
Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...