What game are you playing?

Started by DavidW, May 09, 2010, 04:07:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavidW

Well the old thread was on the old forum, so have to start again! :D

I am currently playing Heavy Rain which is alot like Indigo Prophecy, where it works almost like a puzzle game or perhaps a choose your own adventure where you playing several different characters try to track down a boy taken by the origami killer.

In the past few months, I've played God of War 3, Mass Effect 2 both of which IMO are perfect games, highly satisfying, and had mixed opinions about Dragon Age: Origins.

What have you been playing recently? :)

greg

Lol, I knew you wouldn't find the thread.

I haven't played much in a while... just 2 games in the last year.  :-\

Just finished this a month or two ago.
(i borrowed it from a friend since its OOP at ~$100 a copy, except I was impatient and only actually played 1/3 of the game and watched the rest on youtube).

This game, is literally, a freak show. What I mean is that (and I don't know how this didn't instantly become my favorite game because of these two reasons) this is the possibly the most EPIC and DEEP game I've ever played, and more so than any show I watched, book I've read, etc. It just brings these two things to ridiculous proportions (not to mention 80+ hour gameplay).

The beginning (first ~3 hours) may actually be the best part of the story... the last part of it didn't quite pull it off like it could've, but let's just say there was a lot going on.  ??? All I remember is the main character had some physical manifestation of himself called "Id," which was exactly represented Freud's conception of the Id- and this "Id" was a badass.  :o

And there is a loooooooooooot of flashbacking and reminiscing...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTeBQnJGtig&feature=related
2:46 hehe

Played this last summer. FUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Great graphics and gameplay. Actually, I liked this one better than Xenogears just because it was so much fun.

Only 2, but at least I played some really good ones!  :)

DavidW

Oh boy you're going old school with a ps1 game!  Coolness. :)

Yeah you're right Greg, I couldn't find it.  And then I'm like oh...

greg

Haha, I think I'll be able to get a PS3 by the time the PS5 comes out, in 20 years.

By then, games will be crazier than this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPIbGnBQcJY&feature=channel

DavidW

That is incredible, and I bet natal is coming soon. :)  I have to say that the highest rated comment was what I had in mind too. >:D

greg

I guess it is.

On this page:
http://www.xbox.com/en-US/live/projectnatal/

it says "Coming Holiday 2010." Hopefully people will actually be able to afford it.

I bet the pedophiles will be lining up for it after watching that video, though....  :D

Josquin des Prez

Seriously Greg. You are dangerously close to full fledged weaboo territory. I'd try to cut it down with your wapanese fixation if i were you.

Josquin des Prez

Quote from: DavidW on May 09, 2010, 04:07:59 PM
In the past few months, I've played God of War 3, Mass Effect 2 both of which IMO are perfect games

The Mass Effect series is anything but perfect. What RPGs have you played in the past? Ever tried some of the old school classics?

Quote from: DavidW on May 09, 2010, 04:07:59 PM
and had mixed opinions about Dragon Age: Origins.

You didn't find the gay sex to your satisfaction?

greg

Quote from: Josquin des Prez on May 09, 2010, 05:41:53 PM
Seriously Greg. You are dangerously close to full fledged weaboo territory. I'd try to cut it down with your wapanese fixation if i were you.
But we're all craaaaaaaaaaazyyyyyyyyyy...
aren't we..............
Josquin?
???
:P

aren't we?

Josquin des Prez

Quote from: Greg on May 09, 2010, 05:52:32 PM
But we're all craaaaaaaaaaazyyyyyyyyyy...
aren't we..............
Josquin?
???
:P

aren't we?

I swear man, this is your future:

;D

greg

Lol  :D
Looks like fun, though I can't imagine myself doing that.

Anyways, I guess the reason I appreciate Japan so much is that it's the only place where I see any "art" at all that actually tries to emulate certain things of that Germany used to do. The same spirit may be there sometimes, and the intelligence level may be close at best, though I don't think they'll ever consistently do what Germany did (some of the highest levels of human achievement IMO). I guess, maybe, they may be smart, but not quite as smart? Also, the ancient Greeks are probably to credit with stuff like this- Germany pulling itself out of the darkness and on to the Renaissance and onward, keeping in mind their great achievements, while Japan pulled itself out from being not quite a prosperous country to something greater.

I think if Germany/Austria had the soul + intelligence that it had (from Bach-Schoenberg, before the war), plus the technology of today with new mediums of telling stories, and ahem... a certain art style, I would drop everything and figure out how to live in Germany or Austria today. I would regret that my ancestors ever came to this country from Germany.  :D

XB-70 Valkyrie

If you really dislike Bach you keep quiet about it! - Andras Schiff

Josquin des Prez

Begone with that lowbrow stuff, now this is where its at: 

XB-70 Valkyrie

You have Atari? You suck! I have Coleco!  :P
If you really dislike Bach you keep quiet about it! - Andras Schiff

Papy Oli

Olivier

DavidW

Quote from: Josquin des Prez on May 09, 2010, 05:44:46 PM
The Mass Effect series is anything but perfect. What RPGs have you played in the past? Ever tried some of the old school classics?

Oh I bet you like those old games like Baldur's Gate 2... ah man not for me I like more cinematic games.  There have been many concessions to make games appealing to the casual gamer, and that's for me I'm a casual gamer! :)

QuoteYou didn't find the gay sex to your satisfaction?

I don't care either way about that, I didn't like the buggy AI, uneven difficulty, framerate issues and broken skills.  Usual problems bioware had with Neverwinter Nights.  I also didn't like that I chose the wrong version, bioware is much too slow about fixing problems with the ps3 version, or should I say port. :P

Josquin des Prez

Quote from: DavidW on May 10, 2010, 11:33:47 AM
Oh I bet you like those old games like Baldur's Gate 2... ah man not for me I like more cinematic games.  There have been many concessions to make games appealing to the casual gamer, and that's for me I'm a casual gamer! :)

The problem is that they don't make games for real enthusiasts anymore. What you call concessions i call dumping down for mass consumption.

greg

Quote from: DavidW on May 10, 2010, 11:33:47 AM
I don't care either way about that
So they did have that in there?  ???

(glad i didn't play it)  ::)

Quote from: Josquin des Prez on May 10, 2010, 11:49:57 AM
The problem is that they don't make games for real enthusiasts anymore. What you call concessions i call dumping down for mass consumption.
I wonder how true this is...  I'd probably have to actually have new games to know.

DavidW

Quote from: Greg on May 10, 2010, 01:32:35 PM
So they did have that in there?  ???

(glad i didn't play it)  ::)

Well it's not forced on you! :D  You have to actively role play a gay character, and hit on the other gay character in the game.

QuoteI wonder how true this is...  I'd probably have to actually have new games to know.

Oh I think it's very true, JdP is right about that.  More and more games are designed to have mainstream appeal and complexity and difficulty are reduced, I've seen it in sequel games of every series that I've played.  As I've said, it works for me, but serious gamers that want a challenge are left with nothing to play.