What game are you playing?

Started by DavidW, May 09, 2010, 04:07:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lethevich

Quote from: Greg on May 13, 2010, 07:43:22 AM
Tried playing Dwarf Fortress... got the ASCII running, but (maybe it's my computer's fault) it was pretty laggy and slow. Not only that, but I had no idea what I was supposed to do. I set it on Adventure mode and just moved my charater ("@" sign, i think it was) across my world, and nothing happened. When I got the game to shut down, it froze up my Windows Explorer bar and I had to restart my computer just to use it.  ???
It's an absolute resource hog on larger maps. It is also rather merciless with the learning curve. I haven't played the latest update (which added an arena, etc), but ignore adventure mode - I can't recall what it 's any good for - fortress mode is the core of the game.

There are some guides here: http://afteractionreporter.com/2009/02/09/the-complete-and-utter-newby-tutorial-for-dwarf-fortress-part-1-wtf/
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

greg

Quote from: Lethe on May 13, 2010, 08:03:39 AM
It's an absolute resource hog on larger maps. It is also rather merciless with the learning curve. I haven't played the latest update (which added an arena, etc), but ignore adventure mode - I can't recall what it 's any good for - fortress mode is the core of the game.

There are some guides here: http://afteractionreporter.com/2009/02/09/the-complete-and-utter-newby-tutorial-for-dwarf-fortress-part-1-wtf/
Cool, thanks!

Quote from: The Six on May 13, 2010, 07:56:27 AM
Top Ten RPGs

Xenogears - The greatest.
Star Ocean 2 - Lots of innovations, and the voices are so bad they're good. HEEERE'S MR. ENEMYYY!
Dragon Warrior 7 - I'm a sucker for job systems. Characters were pretty funny, too.
Grandia 2 - Might be the single best game as far as awesome quotes go.
Skies of Arcadia - One of the few RPGs that really had a world, as opposed to just a "world map."
Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter - Criminally underrated.
Final Fantasy X - Something about this FF above the others that I like. It just came together so well.
Lunar: SSSC - What a magical experience. Pretty much perfect.
Arc the Lad 2 - The two heroes' stories coming together is pretty unique amongst RPGs.
Valkyrie Profile - I just can't get tired of that battle system.
Disgaea - Had a special camaraderie that its developer has struggled to reproduce.
Etrian Odyssey - This game is a clinic on how to update the old dungeon crawler system.
Final Fantasy Tactics - Great soundtrack, and a nice take on the strategy genre.

If I had played more of DQ6 and Mother 3, they might have made it. If I were to include a Tales game, it'd probably be Eternia.
Have you played Chrono Cross? (that one is my favorite game of all time, even though I acknowledge its flaws)
Chrono Trigger? (classic!)  8)

Another one of my favorites is a game called "Legend of Legaia" for the PS1. It had such a unique style- if anything, I'd call it "eastern" in general, though it's pretty much impossible to describe its personality. Unfortunately, this is the game I was referring to in this thread that is OOP, on sale for over $100 a copy. (something I'd never sell)

Interesting to see Xenogears as your favorite RPG. I'm still not sure what to think of it. It was definitely mindblowing, though I didn't really care for maps/scenery/world, mecha, etc....

This thread got my appetite going.... so I played a little Twisted Metal 2 yesterday.   ;D

Lethevich

I've recently picked up Robot Unicorn Attack again after a forced hiatus (the song was driving me insane), it's worth a go as for a free game it actually has fun mechanics (free arcade style games often have controls that feel like your character is drunk) and is a god way to waste a few minutes:

http://games.adultswim.com/robot-unicorn-attack-twitchy-online-game.html
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

Tapio Dimitriyevich Shostakovich

Drakensang II (Am Fluß der Zeit)
Eschalon Book II (soon :-)

lisa needs braces

I bought a ps3 in February along with:

Just started playing MGS4. Loving it so far.

greg

My favorite games
1. Chrono Cross
2. Final Fantasy 9
3. Final Fantasy 7
4. Beyond Good and Evil
5. Legend of Legaia
6. Half-Life
7. Resident Evil 5
8. Chrono Trigger
9. Twisted Metal 2
10. Gran Turismo (any)
11. Jet Moto (original)
12. Final Fantasy 10
13. NBA Jam (Sega Genesis)
14. Dead or Alive (hehehehe the only game with a "bouncing breasts" option)

There are a few others that would probably make the list if I had played the whole thing, such as Kya, Metal Gear Solid, Final Fantasy 6, Resident Evil 1, etc.

CD

Quote from: The Six on May 13, 2010, 07:56:27 AM
If I had played more of DQ6 and Mother 3, they might have made it.

I'm re-playing Mother 3 at the moment, in fact. I like it a lot but I still don't think it has quite the scope of EarthBound, but the different battle engine is a lot of fun and the smoother animation looks great.

jowcol

I see nobody has mentioned the ultra-tasteless and un-PC game Postal 2-- which allows you to privilege of urinating on Gary Coleman-- although he's usually packing heat and will kill you for that. 
"If it sounds good, it is good."
Duke Ellington

greg

Quote from: jowcol on May 17, 2010, 11:34:10 AM
I see nobody has mentioned the ultra-tasteless and un-PC game Postal 2-- which allows you to privilege of urinating on Gary Coleman-- although he's usually packing heat and will kill you for that.
I've heard about that one somewhere... looking it up and watching a video, it looks crazy and fun.

jowcol

Quote from: Greg on May 17, 2010, 04:53:12 PM
I've heard about that one somewhere... looking it up and watching a video, it looks crazy and fun.

I only  played the demo.   (I couldn't justify paying them for it).  My favorite weapon was the shovel-- it made a satisfying "Klonnggg" when you hit someone, and many times the head would come off.  You could kick it into a crowed of innocent bystanders and watch them freak out.  One interesting thing about the game is that you were not required to go postal, but people will keep annoying you until YOU JUST WANT TO..... never mind.

The original game (equally tasteless, banned in two countries and denounced by Sen. Liebermann),  used a 3rd person isometric projection, and was not as open ended, but had great sound editing.  Your victims would writhe in agony for minutes after bringing them down.  There was also a great opportunity to take out a high school marching band with a molotov cocktail that was hysterically funny no matter how many times you played that level.

Uhh.. naturally I'm viewing this as a profound satire about modern society...
Duke Ellington

greg

Quote from: jowcol on May 18, 2010, 09:57:49 AM
Uhh.. naturally I'm viewing this as a profound satire about modern society...
Sounds to me like the proper perception of something like this.  8)

Renfield

Quote from: jowcol on May 18, 2010, 09:57:49 AM
My favorite weapon was the shovel-- it made a satisfying "Klonnggg" when you hit someone

Hah! That is exactly the sound.

Yeah, I've played Postal 2. I think I even own it; which is hardly a surprise, as I used to collect PC games much like I collect music. Sadly, the demise of my gaming PC a couple of years ago has made things difficult...

That said, I have not failed to notice this thread, and will eventually, when I've the time and proper mood, post about the console (omg, n00b) games I've been playing, as well as a few good RPGs, just 'cause (2?). ;)

greg

There is a walkthrough to Fallout 3 on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHln6wgJe_U&feature=related

I've watched the first 2 videos, wow, it is fascinating!  :o
I probably shouldn't watch them all in case I ever get to play the PC version, but I'm not sure I can help myself.

Now... I just need to find some game just like this, but in a setting that's not futuristic, but instead starts off with a traditional JRPG opening village.  :D

DavidW

Quote from: Greg on June 06, 2010, 10:47:49 AM
Now... I just need to find some game just like this, but in a setting that's not futuristic, but instead starts off with a traditional JRPG opening village.  :D

Oblivion, same devs made that game, but it is in a fantasy setting instead of a scifi setting.  I really love that game and have spent way too much time playing it. :)

greg

Awesome. Looking up a youtube walkthrough right now.  8)

jowcol

Quote from: Greg on June 06, 2010, 10:47:49 AM
There is a walkthrough to Fallout 3 on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHln6wgJe_U&feature=related

I've watched the first 2 videos, wow, it is fascinating!  :o
I probably shouldn't watch them all in case I ever get to play the PC version, but I'm not sure I can help myself.

I'm not even an RPG buff, but Fallout 3 completely floored me.   I just haven't  had the time to develop a character along the evil axis, or one of the many other types.  And I know there are several places I've never visited.

I'm afraid to look at Oblivion -- sounds like too much fun.

Duke Ellington

greg

I'm having too much fun being completely floored just watching a walkthrough of the game!

The possibilities seem endless. There's one scene where, in the village outside of the Vault, there is a bomb that could blow up any minute and kill all of the villagers, but no one does anything about it. So, the Sheriff asks you to help fix it, so it doesn't go off. In the video I watched, he agrees to it. Then, there is a shady guy in the bar who asks you to make it go off- he offers a reward for it, and in the video I watched, he agrees to, and gets a device that'll make the bomb go off. Then he goes back to the sheriff and chooses to tattle-tells on the guy. The sheriff gets mad and goes to the bar to talk to the guy. He tells him he is going to arrest him, but turns his back for a minute, and the guy shoots and kills the sheriff. (Then you can shoot him, of course). What's amazing is that this scene only happens if you follow several decisions, and you can end up blowing up the village or simply disarming the bomb, depending on what you choose to do and say.

Also looked at the beginning of Uncharted 2:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7BAelqlxwI

with an incredible train escape scene!  :o
(hard to believe this is by the same people who made Crash Bandicoot and Jak & Daxter)

DavidW

Uncharted 2 is loads of fun!  But it has only a few hours in it, Fallout 3 has dozens of hours in it + expansions + replay value. :)

jowcol

Quote from: Greg on June 07, 2010, 02:12:48 PM
I'm having too much fun being completely floored just watching a walkthrough of the game!

The possibilities seem endless.

There's a couple adventures where you need to try to talk your way through.  And you really need to see the virtual reality portion-- it's like being in the evil, acid-inspired parallel universe to "Leave it to Beaver".

I spent, easily, 100 hours on teh first play through, and only visited about 2/3 of the sites, and I know I missed a lot in the ones I visited.

There is also something about dueling fire-breathing ants while listening to swing that is very surreal.  And was it the pasta factory that was the front for the Chinese zombies? And the one vault you explore where there are hallucinogens in the air?  And the other with the clones?    Too much!

Duke Ellington

greg

Don't give it all away!  :D
I'm thinking that whenever I get to play it, I might just might make my character evil right away, since I'm already watching what a good-ish scenario would turn out to be.