What game are you playing?

Started by DavidW, May 09, 2010, 04:07:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

greg

If this is your first time playing it- have fun, man!  8)
One of my favorite games of all-time- sucks you into a world like no other while being extremely fun at the same time.  :)

Philoctetes

Quote from: Greg on December 19, 2010, 07:44:34 PM
If this is your first time playing it- have fun, man!  8)
One of my favorite games of all-time- sucks you into a world like no other while being extremely fun at the same time.  :)

Well this is my first time actually trying to get through the game, and I'm having a lot of fun, save the issues I stated earlier. I don't really enjoy games that sort of force you to look at a faq to get through it, but I can easily overlook that because of the story and the wonderful lead character. I also love the camera aspect of it. It does add that element of immersion that I really do enjoy.

It does suck you in, but not like no other, I can think of Arcanum and Fallout for that do that sucking in ability better, but on a console, I think this might be the best yet.

Lethevich

I might have to give it a second try - I enjoyed it for a while but gave up halfway through.

I played Resident Evil 4 for the first time a few weeks ago - lots of fun. I liked the idea of the earlier games but mostly found them too difficult to play with my kind of item hoarding personality "omg I used 4 bullets on that zombie, reload reload" etc.

RE4 is more arcadey and really fun. It's also easy, which is handy.
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

jowcol

Currently Multitasking between Total War Napoleon.  (Where my French generals are dropping like flies) and Fallout New Vegas.  If you liked Fallout 3, this has more of the same-- no breakthroughs with the game engine, but an insane amount of open ended content, and it's clear you will need to play this game at least twice to perform the majority of the quests.  I'm having a lot of fun with that  as well.
"If it sounds good, it is good."
Duke Ellington

Philoctetes

Quote from: Lethe on December 19, 2010, 10:40:51 PM
I might have to give it a second try - I enjoyed it for a while but gave up halfway through.

It's definitely worthwhile, even if you only go around photographing the different species, but be prepared to look at a faq or a playthrough, because not everything is all that clear cut in how it is presented.

Josquin des Prez

Quote from: jowcol on December 20, 2010, 03:16:37 AM
If you liked Fallout 3, this has more of the same

New Vegas is a lot better then Fallout 3. Better writing, more consistent quests, lots of tweaks and refining of gameplay mechanics which made little sense in the original. Of course, its not like Fallout 3 was that great to begin with, so it was easier to fix. Incredible how such an appallingly inept developer team like Bethesda have grown so successful. Marketing over quality i guess.

greg

Quote from: Lethe on December 19, 2010, 10:40:51 PM

I played Resident Evil 4 for the first time a few weeks ago - lots of fun. I liked the idea of the earlier games but mostly found them too difficult to play with my kind of item hoarding personality "omg I used 4 bullets on that zombie, reload reload" etc.

RE4 is more arcadey and really fun. It's also easy, which is handy.
lol I still haven't played through the second time to get infinite rocket launcher bullets.
What do you think about the girl, Ashley? I like telling her to wait in the garbage can. Sometimes I wish I could just leave her there.  :D

MN Dave

CIVILIZATION: REVOLUTION for iPhone.

Philoctetes

Quote from: Josquin des Prez on December 20, 2010, 04:29:17 AM
New Vegas is a lot better then Fallout 3. Better writing, more consistent quests, lots of tweaks and refining of gameplay mechanics which made little sense in the original. Of course, its not like Fallout 3 was that great to begin with, so it was easier to fix. Incredible how such an appallingly inept developer team like Bethesda have grown so successful. Marketing over quality i guess.

Well Daggerfall was one of the most astonishing games ever created, so that probably allowed them a fair amount of street cred, and that they could develop Morrowwind on a console, was also fairly impressive, even though I find their games quite lacking. It was still quite a feat.

Josquin des Prez

Quote from: Philoctetes on December 20, 2010, 05:38:19 AM
Well Daggerfall was one of the most astonishing games ever created, so that probably allowed them a fair amount of street cred, and that they could develop Morrowwind on a console, was also fairly impressive, even though I find their games quite lacking. It was still quite a feat.

Daggerfall was created by an entirely different team thought. I'm talking about the current iteration of Bethesda led by that retard of Todd Howard. Julian Lefay and company wrote a truly wonderful system and its sad to see it being raped like that.

bwv 1080

looking forward to this arriving

QuoteGary Grigsby's War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945is the spiritual heir to the great Eastern Front board and computer wargames of the past; a turn-based World War II strategy game down to the division and brigade level, stretching across the entire Eastern Front at a 10 mile per hex scale.  Gamers can engage in massive, dramatic campaigns, including intense battles involving thousands of units with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.  As with all the award-winning titles made by the 2by3 Games team, factors such as supply, fatigue, experience, morale and the skill of your divisional, corps and army leaders all play an important part in determining the results at the front line. Gary Grigsby's War in the East comes with 4 massive campaigns as well as many smaller scenarios all with different strategic and operational challenges.

MN Dave

Quote from: bwv 1080 on December 20, 2010, 06:35:07 AM
looking forward to this arriving

When I was younger, I belonged to this wargaming/role-playing group. In one room, we'd be playing D&D, while in the other, the older gents had this huge WWII wargame laid out that took just forever to play.

Philoctetes

Quote from: Josquin des Prez on December 20, 2010, 05:54:41 AM
Daggerfall was created by an entirely different team thought. I'm talking about the current iteration of Bethesda led by that retard of Todd Howard. Julian Lefay and company wrote a truly wonderful system and its sad to see it being raped like that.

Yep, that's true. They were developed by different teams, but I wouldn't go as far as you go. Morrowwind had some really nice elements. It was just too unwiedly. I think they wanted to do everything all at once, and in so doing, failed in the project as a whole. If they had been a bit more rational in their approach, Morrowwind had the chance to be a brilliant game. One would think with the world they created, that you could get lost in the fantasy of it, but I just got sleepy.

Lethevich

Quote from: Greg on December 20, 2010, 05:36:28 AM
lol I still haven't played through the second time to get infinite rocket launcher bullets.
What do you think about the girl, Ashley? I like telling her to wait in the garbage can. Sometimes I wish I could just leave her there.  :D
I found the way she moves around really clever - you climb the ladder, then press action to catch her when she jumps, very fluid, although it does make you wonder why she can't climb herself. In practice it's kind of annoying keeping an eye on her as well as fending off mobs :-\
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

Mirror Image

I've been playing Donkey Kong Country Returns and Metroid: Other M on Nintendo Wii. I have also been playing Resident Evil 5 and LittleBigPlanet on PS3.

greg

I wonder how Resident Evil 5 and LittleBigPlanet are...
I tried playing LittleBigPlanet at Best Buy before, but I couldn't figure it out. Very, very interesting graphics in that game.

Philoctetes

On a note, generally unrelated, I'll finally be picking up a 360, next year, when Beyond Good and Evil 2 is released.

Here's some early gameplay footage:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVwTrjwautQ

greg

Wow, I didn't know they are making a sequel!  :o
Looks cool, too... I hope they have a good story, though (not just good graphics). Maybe they'll have her uncle return, too.

Philoctetes

Quote from: Greg on December 20, 2010, 05:19:04 PM
Wow, I didn't know they are making a sequel!  :o
Looks cool, too... I hope they have a good story, though (not just good graphics). Maybe they'll have her uncle return, too.

The "official" teaser trailer stars him.