What game are you playing?

Started by DavidW, May 09, 2010, 04:07:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquin des Prez

Its a good shooter, but its not exactly a masterpiece. The System Shock games were much better.

Philoctetes

Quote from: Josquin des Prez on December 22, 2010, 01:26:29 PM
Its a good shooter, but its not exactly a masterpiece. The System Shock games were much better.

While that is quite true, given his liking for Fallout 3, and its setting, I suggested Bioshock, because it does share some parallels.

But the System Shock games were quite a thrill.

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Wurstwasser on December 22, 2010, 08:58:16 AM
BTW, I recommend everybody to play Riven, it's the best in the Myst series if you ask me. It's sooooo lovely.
http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/riven_the_sequel_to_myst

Another fan here. I also like the soundtrack a lot. I listen to it very often. Myst IV, Revelation, is also good.
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

Josquin des Prez

Quote from: Philoctetes on December 22, 2010, 02:02:16 PM
While that is quite true, given his liking for Fallout 3, and its setting, I suggested Bioshock, because it does share some parallels.

Well, Fallout 3 is a free roaming sandbox RPG with crappy dialog, crappy quests, crappy combat system, crappy visuals and, well, crappy everything really, but which somehow is still capable of engrossing people due to its scope. Bioshock is a railroaded shooter mixed with RPG elements, average combat and decent visuals. So what you get is a lot less freedom but a bit more quality. Frankly, he's better off with New Vegas. Same as Fallout 3 but with better writing and a few gameplay refinements.

Lethevich

Installing WoW Cataclysm.

I am like a fish on a hook :'(

Edit: Golly, this fellow named King Greymane turned out to be a werewolf? What a startling bolt from the blue.
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

drogulus

Only games I understand are FPS....the word "quest" gives me the heebie-jeebies.

Could I have Neanderthal DNA?
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

Lethevich

Quote from: drogulus on January 13, 2011, 08:54:58 PM
     Only games I understand are FPS....the word "quest" gives me the heebie-jeebies.

Could I have Neanderthal DNA?

That is a little like my best friend - she can only "grasp" FPS with very minimal action - i.e. something close to real life in terms of both viewpoint and setting. Sadly this means that there's almost nothing for her to play :P Everything else she finds boring.

But, yes, your inability to carry out epic deeds for the king and his city by way of clearing mines of kobolds, seeking out the ghost pirate's lair and collecting stolen coins from the stomachs of boars for the reward of improved armour and weaponry do mean that you are in some profound way a girly man ;D

drogulus

I do like Luxor: Quest for the Afterlife. That has "quest" in it.

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

mahler10th

Quote from: drogulus on January 14, 2011, 02:08:09 AM
    I do like Luxor: Quest for the Afterlife. That has "quest" in it.

LOL  drogulous is a living Conquestador!

Thread Duty:  er...I'm not playing anything...

drogulus

Does anyone here have fond memories of old games like Unreal Tournament, Quake or any of their offspring? I do, naturally. Speaking of which....I might seek out a DL of UT from somewhere. It's been awhile...(dissolve)

Ah....I found the old demo I used to play. It works on Win 7 in XP compatibility mode, a minor miracle!

Jaakko Keskinen

This is gonna be a great year:

Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim.
Duke Nukem: Forever never ever released
The legend of Zelda: Skyward sword.
Portal 2.

Just one question: When will Valve release Half life 2: episode 3?! Or, actually it really is more like Half Life 3: episode 3.

P.S. Oh, and by the way, FF VI is IMO way better than FF VII or FF IX.
P.P.S. Sam & Max Season 4, when will I laugh again?
"Javert, though frightful, had nothing ignoble about him. Probity, sincerity, candor, conviction, the sense of duty, are things which may become hideous when wrongly directed; but which, even when hideous, remain grand."

- Victor Hugo

greg

I've played the beginning of FF VI, and it seems great. I wouldn't be surprised if I ended up liking it as much as the others.

I tried installing two games on my computer yesterday: Silent Hill 2 and Bioshock. The first works fine, but the second... my laptop can't quite handle it. I guess high-end video games are the only reason to buy a powerful desktop (or, preferably, putting together a customized PC, which is cheaper).

But, I don't like sitting down on the computer- I like laying down and using my laptop, so I don't know how I'll be able to play Bioshock like this...

Lethevich

I hope you like SH2, IMO it's the best of the series.

greg

That's the general impression of what I've read. "Silent Hill 2 is the best and has the best story" and "Silent Hill 3 is the creepiest and most disturbing." I might have to try 3 as well, then.  :D

Lethevich

1-3 are all very good, 4 is okay, and interesting for trying something different. The biggest change was between 2-3. 1 and 2 had a lot of outdoor environments, 3 was almost exclusively indoor, with mandatory sewer levels, and that made it much less fun for me. The first I'd definitely suggest playing too, as it allows you to explore the town in a way the second doesn't.

lisa needs braces

Quote from: Greg on February 01, 2011, 05:14:58 AM
I've played the beginning of FF VI, and it seems great. I wouldn't be surprised if I ended up liking it as much as the others.

That's my favorite RPG, and the best FF (though VII comes close.)

Jaakko Keskinen

Quote from: -abe- on February 01, 2011, 07:06:59 AM
That's my favorite RPG, and the best FF (though VII comes close.)

Because of that line Kefka spares your life. All hail Kefka!
"Javert, though frightful, had nothing ignoble about him. Probity, sincerity, candor, conviction, the sense of duty, are things which may become hideous when wrongly directed; but which, even when hideous, remain grand."

- Victor Hugo

greg

The orchestral version sounds cooler.

http://www.youtube.com/v/i0diTY8Ex14&feature=related

Though in terms of themes, Sephiroth's theme is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more evil sounding (especially the orchestral version).

lisa needs braces

Greg, do share your thoughts about the game after you finish it. I'm reluctant to talk about it lest I spoil anything for you.