What game are you playing?

Started by DavidW, May 09, 2010, 04:07:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jaakko Keskinen

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YyNSVUqEao

If by Sephiroth's theme you mean one winged angel... then you must compare it with Kefka Dancing Mad, not with Kefka's theme. Kefka dancing mad begins after Kefka's theme in 1:19, goes through four phases. Second and third phase are my favorites, that uh-uh-uh-choir is badass and I would love to hear that organ part in church :P

And in case some of you didn't know, FF VI has also opera scene. :P

And Sephiroth: you tried to destroy the world and you failed. Kefka tried to destroy the world... and succeeded!   >:D
"Javert, though frightful, had nothing ignoble about him. Probity, sincerity, candor, conviction, the sense of duty, are things which may become hideous when wrongly directed; but which, even when hideous, remain grand."

- Victor Hugo

greg

Quote from: -abe- on February 02, 2011, 06:16:10 PM
Greg, do share your thoughts about the game after you finish it. I'm reluctant to talk about it lest I spoil anything for you.
Can you wait several years?  :D
Really, I don't have tons of time to invest in stuff like this. I just played SH2 for about 15 minutes, and then turned it off and felt guilty about even playing it when I need to be working.

Lethevich

http://greatgatsbygame.com/

Raging so hard at the boss. Even with the "standing at edge" tactic I can't hit it without being hit ;_: I suck at platformers.
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

Mirror Image

I haven't played many video games in awhile. The last games I played were from last month or so and they were the following:

A classic in my book. I loved the second installment of the series as well: Diddy's Kong Quest

A very hard to find game now, this game is the SNES adaptation of the arcade game. This is such a fun game. Great action.

I almost have this game beat. I was very surprised by how good this game was even after reading all the negative reviews. It's essentially an advanced version of Resident Evil 4, but with different characters. Thankfully, I never played that game and I loved this one.

Mirror Image

Quote from: グレグ格雷格그래그-G on December 20, 2010, 07:52:52 AM
I wonder how Resident Evil 5 and LittleBigPlanet are...
I tried playing LittleBigPlanet at Best Buy before, but I couldn't figure it out. Very, very interesting graphics in that game.

Sorry for the late response, Greg, but I love Resident Evil 5 and LittleBigPlanet. Both games are great and really were apart of my reasons for buying a PS3 along with the series Uncharted, which is one of the most amazing gaming experiences I've had on any of the Playstation systems. Sony is coming out with a third installment to Uncharted, so I will be buying that one when it comes out. There is also another game that is keeping my interest peaked and it's The Last Guardian, which is from the innovative team who created Ico and Shadow of the Colossus for the PS2. If you haven't played these two games, then you should definitely see if you can't download them or buy them from a second-hand shop. They are so much fun and addicting!

ibanezmonster

Quote from: Lethe Dmitriyevich Shostakovich on February 17, 2011, 02:39:24 PM
http://greatgatsbygame.com/

Raging so hard at the boss. Even with the "standing at edge" tactic I can't hit it without being hit ;_: I suck at platformers.
I played Level 1 of that. Silly stuff, there, jumping over butlers and drunk guys throwing wine bottles...
I liked the Game Over screen because it was appropriate, "Game Over, old sport."

Quote from: Mirror Image on February 17, 2011, 04:42:57 PM
Sorry for the late response, Greg, but I love Resident Evil 5 and LittleBigPlanet. Both games are great and really were apart of my reasons for buying a PS3 along with the series Uncharted, which is one of the most amazing gaming experiences I've had on any of the Playstation systems. Sony is coming out with a third installment to Uncharted, so I will be buying that one when it comes out. There is also another game that is keeping my interest peaked and it's The Last Guardian, which is from the innovative team who created Ico and Shadow of the Colossus for the PS2. If you haven't played these two games, then you should definitely see if you can't download them or buy them from a second-hand shop. They are so much fun and addicting!
Cool... I've also heard good stuff about Ico and Shadow of the Colossus, though I haven't heard about The Last Guardian.

Right now, having fun playing a bit of Silent Hill 2 on and off. I'll probably take months to beat it, since I'm not playing much.
It's fun playing it in the dark, in complete silence...

Mirror Image

Quote from: グレグ格雷格그래그-G on February 17, 2011, 06:08:05 PMCool... I've also heard good stuff about Ico and Shadow of the Colossus, though I haven't heard about The Last Guardian.

Right now, having fun playing a bit of Silent Hill 2 on and off. I'll probably take months to beat it, since I'm not playing much.
It's fun playing it in the dark, in complete silence...

Sony will be releasing Ico and Shadow of the Colossus on the PS3 in HD format sometime this year. Even though I've played (and own) both games, I can only imagine how great the games will look with an HD picture enhancement. I suppose Sony is releasing these titles, as they did with the previous God of War games, to wet our appetite for the main course coming later this year (hopefully).

chasmaniac

Gary Grigsby's War in the East.
If I have exhausted the justifications, I have reached bedrock and my spade is turned. Then I am inclined to say: "This is simply what I do."  --Wittgenstein, PI ยง217

ibanezmonster

Here's a cool article about the guy who got the source code of Half Life 2 before it was released:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-02-21-the-boy-who-stole-half-life-2-article?page=1

lisa needs braces

Quote from: Mirror Image on February 17, 2011, 04:42:57 PM

Ico and Shadow of the Colossus are greating re-released on the PS3 in HD format on the same disc. It'll be called the Team Ico collection. Haven't played either and I'll eventually buy that compilation as people speak highly of those games. =D

John Copeland

It is grim.  I sold my XBox360, steering wheel, the lot, so I could concentrate on writing instead of frittering away playing games.  But I miss games!   :(
On my laptop right now I have ressurected a game made 10 years ago, called Grand Prix 4.
:( :'(

jowcol

Quote from: chasmaniac on February 18, 2011, 02:18:53 AM

Curious what you think of it-- I'm a old military board gamer (which was probably at it's height in the 70s), and have been wondering about computer games that can scratch the same itch.
"If it sounds good, it is good."
Duke Ellington

ibanezmonster

Quote from: John of Glasgow on February 23, 2011, 04:46:19 AM
It is grim.  I sold my XBox360, steering wheel, the lot, so I could concentrate on writing instead of frittering away playing games.  But I miss games!   :(
On my laptop right now I have ressurected a game made 10 years ago, called Grand Prix 4.
:( :'(
Arrrghh... somehow this reminded me of a game I used to play up until around 7 years ago- a racing game called "Pod." Now I'm going to have to play this again...

Anyways, I'm not sure selling that stuff was a good idea- maybe just learning how to play for a very short time each day (and only if you have a strong urge to play in the first place)?

bwv 1080

Quote from: chasmaniac on February 18, 2011, 02:18:53 AM

How are you liking it?  I have it, but have not been able to find the time to play it much. 

John Copeland

Quote from: Greg on February 23, 2011, 05:58:51 AM
Arrrghh... somehow this reminded me of a game I used to play up until around 7 years ago- a racing game called "Pod." Now I'm going to have to play this again...
Anyways, I'm not sure selling that stuff was a good idea- maybe just learning how to play for a very short time each day (and only if you have a strong urge to play in the first place)?

Thank you Greg.  I never did try Pod, but everything in me wants to race...almost all the time...and race...and win....and race...and race...online racing with F1 2010 was gobbling up my days.   :(  The only way to cure myself was to get rid of the darn thing.   :(

jowcol

I'm currentlt playing Dead Space.

Funny thing is that I bought it a year ago, but "unfortunately" bought one of the Sega Total War series at the same time.  End result is that I ended up buying all of the Sega Total War series, and playing them pretty compulsively.  Got back into console gaming with Fallout New Vegas, and after about 150 hours, I'm willing to let it go.  (For all of it's warts, I still love the open endedness of FNV, and I must admit it was a game where you'd spend hours away from the console wondering about what to do with your virtual life).

Anyway, since Dead Space 2 is coming out, I figured I'd give the original a try.  THis is definitely one to play on a big screen with headphones and the lights out. 

Graphics are pretty sharp for a 2008 release- much better than FNV.  Atmosphere is phenomenal.  Pretty much imaging being on the Nostromo from the movie Alien, except that it had 1000 crew members originally, but they have died and mutated into voracious creatures patterned after the creature in John Carpenter's remake of the Thing.   The monsters are definitely creepy, crawl in the ductwork, and came at you from all angles in 3D.  ANd better yet, you can't kill them with headshots-- you need to employ the tactic of strategic dismemberment.

They also used an "over the shoulder view" that removes the need to have an HUD all the time.   For these alone, it's worth the ride if you like survival horror along the lines of Doom.  Pop ups for inventory and such are rendered as holographs, and are cool.  Nice creepy sounds and mumuring voices in the background.

What's not to like?  It's unbelievably linear.  Go there, get this part, fix that.  If you need help finding your objects, you can have the game display a straight line for where you need to go.  You get to interact with a few other living crew members, but there are no dialog trees.  I'm also not a big fan of puzzles-- and there are a few that may not tax your brain, but I don't get the point of punishing a  player with boredom.  When you replay the game, you can take some of the neat weapons you build with you to start over (and then jack up the complexity), but it will be the same path every time.

So, for the moment, I'm definitely enjoying it.  If you liked Alien, the remake of the Thing, and Doom, it will definitely give you some thrills, but there really isn't much strategic thought beyond getting through the next room alive.  I don't see this getting as much replay from me. 

Also, in mid March, the next Total War release is coming out, and a campaign in that will take a month or two of my gaming time.

Duke Ellington

John Copeland

Can you believe this?
I AM 45 YEARS OLD.
I am playing this.
I like it.
WTF?   ???

ibanezmonster

Quote from: John of Glasgow on February 24, 2011, 05:30:44 PM
Can you believe this?
I AM 45 YEARS OLD.
I am playing this.
I like it.
WTF?   ???
That's good. It means you are fun and interested in new things...

Josquin des Prez

Quote from: John of Glasgow on February 24, 2011, 05:30:44 PM
Can you believe this?
I AM 45 YEARS OLD.
I am playing this.
I like it.
WTF?   ???

I got my father hooked to Warcraft II once. He was 52 at the time and had never played a video game before (except for a few old arcade classics as a teen). I guess its never too late to be a kid.

jowcol

Quote from: Josquin des Prez on February 25, 2011, 12:04:43 AM
I guess its never too late to be a kid.

Amen.  And as I frequently say, "If you can't be childlike, you can always be childish."
Duke Ellington