What game are you playing?

Started by DavidW, May 09, 2010, 04:07:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chasmaniac

Quote from: jowcol on February 23, 2011, 05:48:23 AM
Curious what you think of it-- I'm a old military board gamer (which was probably at it's height in the 70s), and have been wondering about computer games that can scratch the same itch.

Also to bwv 1080:

My comparison is to SPI's War in Europe, now DG's CWiE-win. The GG game does what the old one never quite did. Retains the scope and an essentially simple combat/movement system, while providing a gorgeous map, detailed and accurate OOBs, and a great deal of chrome in the form of detailed supply, air and support units, and command. Moreover, you can ramp up your play by letting the game handle air and support functions while you concentrate on pushing units. It has an AI that is capable on defence, and graduated difficulty levels. The UI can be clunky, but you get used to it. IMO, it is the definitive eastfront game.
If I have exhausted the justifications, I have reached bedrock and my spade is turned. Then I am inclined to say: "This is simply what I do."  --Wittgenstein, PI §217

ibanezmonster

I have a vague idea for the game that I want to design in the future.

<Plot>
I'm thinking it should start off in a world that is almost heavenly. There will only be women in this game that make up the entire population (20 or so years old and hot)- however, they are not sexual or anything, so it's not just a bunch of lesbians running around  ::). They don't (can't) reproduce, but can't die, either, and they also have no idea where they even came from and can't remember the beginning of their lives.

The world is an amazingly fun, innocent place until things slowly go downhill. People start dying, one by one, from some type of unknown illness until finally, your character is the last one. She is on her deathbed, and at the end of the game, accepts her death. She dies and that is the end of the game.
</Plot>

While looking at my wallpaper, I was listening to the second movement of Beethoven op.109, and imagined the character the player controlled looking like Mikuru (light brown-haired girl on the left), walking through a European-style town. While she runs around (the way girls hold their hands up when they run), the wind blows through her hair gently and discovers a pianist playing that Beethoven sonata outside, and you have the option of just standing there and listening, or leaving whenever you want.

Of course, this is just a current idea. Most likely I'll never make a game just like this, but maybe it'll have some elements.  :)

jowcol

Quote from: chasmaniac on February 26, 2011, 11:13:06 AM

Also to bwv 1080:

My comparison is to SPI's War in Europe, now DG's CWiE-win. The GG game does what the old one never quite did. Retains the scope and an essentially simple combat/movement system, while providing a gorgeous map, detailed and accurate OOBs, and a great deal of chrome in the form of detailed supply, air and support units, and command. Moreover, you can ramp up your play by letting the game handle air and support functions while you concentrate on pushing units. It has an AI that is capable on defence, and graduated difficulty levels. The UI can be clunky, but you get used to it. IMO, it is the definitive eastfront game.

Thanks for the description-- my knees still haven't recovered from a couple of campaign games from SPI's War in Europe.  (For those who aren't familiar, SPI was one of the leading companies making board wargames in the 70s, or IMO, THE leading company).

Sort of tangent, but if any of you were part of that scene, you might find it interesting.  I was doing some research a couple of years back on Situation Awareness in decision support systems, and the name of one of the authors on a paper I was reading was Al Nofi-- one of the writers to Strategy and Tactics magazine. I wrote him, primarily about the paper, but also about the old days, and got a very nice reply. After that, I took a chance and looked up Jim Dunnigan (the guy who developed most of their games), and got a really nice reply in about an hour. 

Okay, nostalgia aside, it would be nice to keep the map and pieces on a hard drive instead of devoting a room to it for several months.

"If it sounds good, it is good."
Duke Ellington

Marc

Deeply inspired by the Formula 1 thread ànd by Bach's Die Kunst der Fuge, I played an exhibition game with NHL 2004: Atlanta Thrashers vs Calgary Flames. As it turned out, after a tough battle I myself scored the only goal of the night for the Flames, in overtime!

;D

GO FLAMES, GO!!

CD

Last video game I beat was Super Metroid — engaging, epic length and genuinely creepy atmosphere. The music is good too.

Lethevich

HIPSTER! :)

Edit: actually, I am one to talk - the last game I played through was Valis: The Fantasm Soldier, which was stupidly easy and annoying. The cutscenes took up almost as much time as the gameplay, and they were beyond dire - this seems a good example (skip to near the end, then it carries into the next one):

http://www.youtube.com/v/jfsw2vRQpig

After a few minutes I just went to make lunch :\
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

Philoctetes

Playing through Arcanum (as a dwarf technologist) and Spycraft (learned about a totally new ending).

ibanezmonster

Quote from: Lethe Dmitriyevich Shostakovich on March 19, 2011, 02:59:12 PM
HIPSTER! :)

Edit: actually, I am one to talk - the last game I played through was Valis: The Fantasm Soldier, which was stupidly easy and annoying. The cutscenes took up almost as much time as the gameplay, and they were beyond dire - this seems a good example (skip to near the end, then it carries into the next one):
Lol... that was... quite pathetic...

drogulus

I was an Avalon Hill gamer back in the early '60s. I had D-Day, Chancellorsville and Gettysburg.

Quote from: Lethe Dmitriyevich Shostakovich on March 19, 2011, 02:59:12 PM

The cutscenes took up almost as much time as the gameplay, and they were beyond dire - this seems a good example (skip to near the end, then it carries into the next one):

After a few minutes I just went to make lunch :\

Yeah, that's pretty stupefying.

My niece likes to play board games with her uncle and when we go visit. Some of these games give me trouble because I'm supposed to act out something or draw a picture. I prefer rolling dice and moving a piece or answering a question from a card. Oh well, she turned 13 a couple weeks ago so this phase won't last much longer.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

John Copeland

Aye.
If anyone ever plays this, I'll race their sorry asses clean off the map.

Lethevich

Just had a shot at Homefront - well worth avoiding. The average to good mainstream reviews were no doubt bribe money - all the indies I've enountered seem to hate it for the same reasons I do: it's a rubbish game and not fun as a shooter.
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

Jaakko Keskinen

After a long pause, it's time to restart maybe the greatest RPG of all time.
"Javert, though frightful, had nothing ignoble about him. Probity, sincerity, candor, conviction, the sense of duty, are things which may become hideous when wrongly directed; but which, even when hideous, remain grand."

- Victor Hugo

Philoctetes

Quote from: Alberich on March 25, 2011, 12:59:43 PM

After a long pause, it's time to restart maybe the greatest RPG of all time.

After Arcanum.

CD

ibanezmonster

But who has played every RPG to know which one is the greatest?...  :-X

Philoctetes

Quote from: Greg on March 25, 2011, 07:01:32 PM
But who has played every RPG to know which one is the greatest?...  :-X

I have a friend who has, essentially. And he says that Planescape: Torment is the best.

... but it's really Arcanum.

ibanezmonster

Quote from: Philoctetes on March 25, 2011, 07:06:03 PM
I have a friend who has, essentially. And he says that Planescape: Torment is the best.

... but it's really Arcanum.
Has he went to Japan and played all of the obscure RPGs that haven't been released elsewhere, as well?  ;)

Philoctetes

Quote from: Greg on March 25, 2011, 07:18:14 PM
Has he went to Japan and played all of the obscure RPGs that haven't been released elsewhere, as well?  ;)

He hasn't gone to Japan, but he has planed most of the jrpgs. Let's just say he doesn't have much of a life...

ibanezmonster

Quote from: Philoctetes on March 25, 2011, 07:19:12 PM
He hasn't gone to Japan, but he has planed most of the jrpgs. Let's just say he doesn't have much of a life...
Well, if he gets to play video games all day, that sounds like a fun life. I surely had more fun back in the days when all I did was play video games and guitar all day compared to now. Of course, if he has no social life at all, that's not a good thing, either.