What game are you playing?

Started by DavidW, May 09, 2010, 04:07:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Philoctetes

Quote from: Greg on March 25, 2011, 07:31:05 PM
Well, if he gets to play video games all day, that sounds like a fun life. I surely had more fun back in the days when all I did was play video games and guitar all day compared to now. Of course, if he has no social life at all, that's not a good thing, either.

Well... he likes the things he likes. More power to him, he's where I get all of my anime recommendations from.

Jaakko Keskinen

Well, no. Best RPG is actually FF VI.
"Javert, though frightful, had nothing ignoble about him. Probity, sincerity, candor, conviction, the sense of duty, are things which may become hideous when wrongly directed; but which, even when hideous, remain grand."

- Victor Hugo

Philoctetes

Quote from: Alberich on March 26, 2011, 01:55:31 AM
Well, no. Best RPG is actually FF VI.

That is so far from the truth. It isn't even the best Final Fantasy.

ibanezmonster

Quote from: Philoctetes on March 26, 2011, 08:53:44 AM
That is so far from the truth. It isn't even the best Final Fantasy.
Which is your favorite FF, out of curiosity?

Philoctetes

Quote from: Greg on March 26, 2011, 01:46:43 PM
Which is your favorite FF, out of curiosity?

My favorite is No. 4/2, but I don't really care for that series at all (at least the playing of it).

CD

Playing this:

Really cute and fun so far — a lot like the Paper Mario games but less trippy and weird.

Lethevich

Anyone been bitten by the Minecraft bug? It seems the ultimate mess around for a while, leave, then return to again and again kind of game.
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

Renfield

This thread makes me happy whenever I return to it. :D

Re: Minecraft, I've even seen people in lecture theatres play it. Yet... Call me contrarian, but I get a Portal reaction to it: not yet.

And the best cRPG of all time is definitely Planescape: Torment, Philo's friend is right.

(The same way Mahler's 9th is unequivocally the best symphony, and other such indisputable universal truths. ;)

ibanezmonster

Quote from: Renfield on March 29, 2011, 09:58:40 AM
(The same way Mahler's 9th is unequivocally the best symphony, and other such indisputable universal truths. ;)
And that's why I take this man seriously.  ;)

Lethevich

Quote from: Renfield on March 29, 2011, 09:58:40 AM
Re: Minecraft, I've even seen people in lecture theatres play it. Yet... Call me contrarian, but I get a Portal reaction to it: not yet.

Bear in mind that it doesn't really work as a singleplayer game unless you have a plan for something (like some replica city/building) - SP is sort of like the tutorial. In survival mode online it's much more fun, collaborating to make things and dicking around in general - it's like WoW guilds but without the feeling that you're forced to do anything useful.

I recently played: You Are Empty. The terrible reviews of it are right in a lot of ways but miss the point - this is a throwback game and anyone who has played stuff like Redneck Rampage will see the charm of this old-style gameplay mechanic. The graphics aren't an issue either - the urban environments had very impressive scale and depth in their background scenery, and despite being a corridor shooter felt quite nicely expansive on rooftop parts. It is a bit of a genre game, and after the first area isn't particularly scary - more of a very slightly creepy shooter than horror. The worst thing about it was how it had a perfectly good plot, but revealed it in oblique and uninteresting ways. The artsy between-level videos should've been dropped and cutscenes added, and at least allow for some eavesdropping.

ibanezmonster

Somehow the makers of Silent Hill 2 expect me to able to read this code.

And I need to in order to progress through the game. Maybe they didn't actually test through all of the possibilities?

ibanezmonster

The word was "down." Apparently, other positive combinations people get include "doom" and "lose."  ::)
Well, I beat Silent Hill 2 and it was a pretty good game!

Now I got Half-Life 2 up and running- a little jerky on my computer, but still playable. I have high expectations for this one.  8)

Lethevich

SH2 was a nice game, but WTF was that ending clip. Just when I thought the script had finished it had more and more and more lines of silly wiffle stuff.

ibanezmonster

I finished it late at night and had to go to sleep. That letter at the end was so painfully tedious, "Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh James!!! I miss you, darling" blah blah blah just shut the f*** up. Getting through that letter was nearly torturous.

Jaakko Keskinen

Quote from: Greg on April 09, 2011, 03:46:40 PM
Now I got Half-Life 2 up and running- a little jerky on my computer, but still playable. I have high expectations for this one.  8)

Hopefully you have played the first one too (and Opposing force and Blue shift). Nothing beats running around in research facility complex, killing aliens because of invasion that was caused by resonance cascade and beating the shit out of highly trained soldiers as mere scientist, while The Smoking Man from X-files stalks you.

...Ok, Xen might be little annoying to some people.
"Javert, though frightful, had nothing ignoble about him. Probity, sincerity, candor, conviction, the sense of duty, are things which may become hideous when wrongly directed; but which, even when hideous, remain grand."

- Victor Hugo

Lethevich

Hated Xen, not enough ammunition. I had to cheat through it :\

ibanezmonster

Quote from: Alberich on April 11, 2011, 01:40:47 AM
Hopefully you have played the first one too (and Opposing force and Blue shift). Nothing beats running around in research facility complex, killing aliens because of invasion that was caused by resonance cascade and beating the shit out of highly trained soldiers as mere scientist, while The Smoking Man from X-files stalks you.

...Ok, Xen might be little annoying to some people.
The original was one of my favorite games. I kinda like Xen, because it was really out there. I was thought it would have been suitable to play some Xenakis electroacoustic music in those levels.  :D

Anyone ever watch the "Freeman's Mind" channel?
http://www.youtube.com/user/freemanmind?blend=3&ob=4#p/a/u/0/JF8Kj7JB7mM

It's basically some guy making his way through Half-Life while voicing over what Freeman's thoughts are (it's professional, and pretty funny). The unfortunate thing is how long you have to wait for new videos, though.

DavidW

I've played possibly one of the worst rpgs ever: FF XIII.  Well I did for 8 hours anyway.  There is a limit to how much time I can spend walking in a straight line, going through attacks by spamming the x button, and watching angsty cut scenes.

I enjoyed Dragon Age 2, but it froze up my ps3 several times over.  And I guess the haters make valid points, but I enjoyed it anyway.

ibanezmonster

It's really sad to hear all of that about FF XIII. Not many people like it, and it seems to be going downhill. I haven't played it, but I'm not even interested in it after having watched quite a bit on youtube. It looks stupid, and the being "too linear" thing doesn't sound promising.

Hopefully Square Enix can get their act together by the time XIV (... uhh, wait, that's an MMORPG)... I mean, XV, comes out. Or they could make a long-awaited sequel to Chrono Cross or Chrono Trigger, which they should have done years ago.

It would be cool to have a first person RPG. Think of the interactivity of Half-Life 2 mixed with the environment, story line, side quests, etc. of a Final Fantasy game...  8)

DavidW

Quote from: Greg on April 11, 2011, 04:16:13 PM
It looks stupid, and the being "too linear" thing doesn't sound promising.
Yeah talk about too linear-- I walked down a small corridor for 8 hours!  Sheesh!!

Hopefully Square Enix can get their act together by the time XIV (... uhh, wait, that's an MMORPG)... I mean, XV, comes out.
The next one is actually going to be XIII-2, stupid numbering systems. 

It would be cool to have a first person RPG. Think of the interactivity of Half-Life 2 mixed with the environment, story line, side quests, etc. of a Final Fantasy game...  8)

I think that was called Fallout 3. ;D Well actually Oblivion is a first person rpg as well... and hey Skyrim comes out in Fall.  Speaking of which these are the three games I'm really looking forward to:

Skyrim
Mass Effect 3
Portal 2

And one of those comes out this month!! :)  Anyone looking forward to any of the new gamers... or am I surrounded by retro gamers?