What game are you playing?

Started by DavidW, May 09, 2010, 04:07:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ibanezmonster

Ah, yes... I see what you mean about Fallout 3. I meant to say "a first person JRPG", though...

I guess I'm a semi-retro gamer.  :-[ PS1, PS2 games, etc., but not much more after that for me. Probably a good thing I don't have that distraction, though.

Lethevich

I am waiting on DLC for Fallout NV, and trying to suppress the futile dream that Deus Ex 3 won't suck :c
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

Jaakko Keskinen

IMO this is one of the funniest web comics ever.

http://www.hlcomic.com/

BTW, what do ya think about Red dead redemption? I personally love it, even though many might say that it is overrated (IMO, if something is overrated, it's GTA 4) and along with Vice city and San Andreas it is my favorite Rockstar game. Maybe it has something to do with my admiration concerning westerns.
"Javert, though frightful, had nothing ignoble about him. Probity, sincerity, candor, conviction, the sense of duty, are things which may become hideous when wrongly directed; but which, even when hideous, remain grand."

- Victor Hugo

DavidW

I didn't care for GTA 4 but I've enjoyed Red Dead when I rented it, want to buy it.  I feel like I'm in the wild west and I'm like wow!  In gta 4 I feel like I'm in a generic city driving a car that handles like a wet bar of soap.  It's just not my thing.

lisa needs braces

I've never played an MMO in my life yet from what I seen of "Guild Wars 2," it might be a game worth checking out, especially since it isn't subscription based.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5wBIPF8bGA

Josquin des Prez

Quote from: Lethe Dmitriyevich Shostakovich on April 11, 2011, 08:32:44 PM
I am waiting on DLC for Fallout NV, and trying to suppress the futile dream that Deus Ex 3 won't suck :c

Supposedly, Avellone was in charge of that (the guy who was in charge of Torment). Its supposed to be very good, better then New Vegas at least in terms of writing. Waiting for a PC release myself.

Philoctetes

The best in the series:

[asin]B00009M7Q8[/asin]

DavidW

Getting all geared up for the new Deus Ex game?

I'm playing Fable 3, like the other Fable games really goofy, it's fun.  Fun enough I can excuse the stupid replacement they have for menus. ::)

I don't even get why they thought that any gamer demographic, including casual, disliked menus??  Menus as in the thing in all of our computer programs?  The thing that everyone knows how to use?

Josquin des Prez

Its going to be prophetic. Mark my word.

ibanezmonster

Quote from: haydnfan on April 17, 2011, 09:07:39 PM
Getting all geared up for the new Deus Ex game?

I'm playing Fable 3, like the other Fable games really goofy, it's fun.  Fun enough I can excuse the stupid replacement they have for menus. ::)

I don't even get why they thought that any gamer demographic, including casual, disliked menus??  Menus as in the thing in all of our computer programs?  The thing that everyone knows how to use?
So what do they use instead of menus? I couldn't imagine a game of any complexity being playable without menus.

Lethevich

Starcraft 2 player Jinro returning home for a few days to compete in a tournament. It's cute to see a professional gamer who has parents who are actually interested in what he does - his dad watches all his matches, etc. Often parents tend to all but disown their kids if they try to go down this career path.

Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

DavidW

Quote from: Greg on April 18, 2011, 05:40:52 AM
So what do they use instead of menus? I couldn't imagine a game of any complexity being playable without menus.

It's called the sanctuary, when you hit start you go there and it's like a house filled with rooms.  For instance want to change your weapon, you click start to go to the armory and then either you hit left on the D-pad or you walk into the armory go up to the weapon you want to equip, select a, then select a again.  Then you can hit start again to go back into the game.

With a menu system it would take 10-20 seconds, with the sanctuary it takes closer to a minute. ::)

DavidW

Quote from: Josquin des Prez on April 18, 2011, 02:46:46 AM

Wow!  It's not even out yet!  I'll play it anyway but if you're right, dang I'll admit it.

ibanezmonster

Quote from: haydnfan on April 18, 2011, 06:25:08 AM
It's called the sanctuary, when you hit start you go there and it's like a house filled with rooms.  For instance want to change your weapon, you click start to go to the armory and then either you hit left on the D-pad or you walk into the armory go up to the weapon you want to equip, select a, then select a again.  Then you can hit start again to go back into the game.
Lol, that's a really dumb idea.

Josquin des Prez

Quote from: haydnfan on April 17, 2011, 09:07:39 PM

Must be a console thing. Lowest common denominator, and all that.

DavidW

Quote from: Josquin des Prez on April 18, 2011, 02:18:23 PM
Must be a console thing. Lowest common denominator, and all that.

You laugh now... but most of the pc games these days are just console ports.  That's why I put my desktop away.  The console demographic is the only demographic devs care about these days.

Philoctetes

Quote from: Josquin des Prez on April 18, 2011, 02:46:46 AM

That picture should be flipped.

DavidW

I'm reminded of this, and even though I liked DA 2, it's pretty true:

(click on it to see a bigger version of the picture)

Philoctetes

Quote from: haydnfan on April 18, 2011, 03:22:36 PM
I'm reminded of this, and even though I liked DA 2, it's pretty true:

(click on it to see a bigger version of the picture)

I don't think that's true at all. If you want obnoxious dialogue trees, just go the Elder Scroll route.

Also, there is this:
http://www.youtube.com/v/_CaSKhrURIw

Josquin des Prez

Elder Scrolls don't have dialog threes, just wiki style topic windows. Worked fine on Daggerfall, not so much in the rest of the series.

And i hope you are not hinting that Torment dialog system was in any way "obnoxious". Even disregarding the atrocious amount of dumping down, Bioware's new wheel system is just plain stupid. Half the time the character's dialog line doesn't even reflect the choice you made. Not that it matters of course, since the outcome is the same regardless.