What game are you playing?

Started by DavidW, May 09, 2010, 04:07:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

Quote from: haydnfan on May 19, 2011, 07:44:08 PM
I've played Super Mario Galaxy 2 and that's very fun.  I haven't played the first one though.

I prefer the first to the second.

DavidW

Mn Dave

I've been playing these on my iPhone:

Neuroshima Hex

Dungeon Raid

Coco

Playing:

Catching up on this generation of 2D games, which I completely missed-out on when they were new as I never had any of the handheld consoles (post plain ol' GameBoy). The character and world design in this are cute, and interest in the story is set up immediately from the first frame. I'm sure most RPG nuts know this, but it seems like fans of the old-school SNES Final Fantasy games would like this a lot.

lisa needs braces

Anyone else think it's a good idea to be a few years behind in gaming in order to save money? New games these days almost always cost $60. Yet waiting just mere months brings down the price considerably, and eventually to less than $10. For instance, last winter Steam had a sale in which I spent $35 but snagged about twelve well received games. Just picked up the original Far Cry for $2.50 today off Steam.

Currently playing: Battlefield: Bad Company 2

Mirror Image

A few nights ago, I played some multiplayer on Uncharted 2. Pretty cool, but I need more practice as I keep dying. Anybody got any interesting strategies to add?

lisa needs braces

Getting killed is unavoidable. Do you mean that it's happening to you more so than your teammates?

Mirror Image

Quote from: -abe- on May 26, 2011, 07:03:37 PM
Getting killed is unavoidable. Do you mean that it's happening to you more so than your teammates?

Yes, I'm trying not to get killed so much. Even if I hide somewhere where I think is a good spot, I still get shot in the back. I'm hopeless.

lisa needs braces

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 26, 2011, 07:18:26 PM
Yes, I'm trying not to get killed so much. Even if I hide somewhere where I think is a good spot, I still get shot in the back. I'm hopeless.

I think I recall a poster on a gaming forum claiming that Uncharted 2 now has a lot of veteran players and no steady influx of newer players. Basically, everyone who was going to buy the game has bought the game and the casual players have left the multilayer scene.

When I play the game, I don't worry about the number of times I die. I just try to get as many kills as I can and even when my team is losing I try to compete with my teammates to be the guy who gets the most kills.

By the way, the game has two-co op modes you can select from the "playlist." I played one of these modes a couple of times and found it less intense but as much fun as the cut-throat deathmatch mode. Basically, you and another human controlled player take on a lot of AI controlled units. They designed special missions for this co-op mode that are based on the settings of the regular levels. Check it out if you haven't.

Something else I noticed is "The Lab" where they sometimes implement experimental rules, like classic team vs team deathmatch but with only RPGs.  :)

Mirror Image

Quote from: -abe- on May 26, 2011, 07:57:47 PM

I think I recall a poster on a gaming forum claiming that Uncharted 2 now has a lot of veteran players and no steady influx of newer players. Basically, everyone who was going to buy the game has bought the game and the casual players have left the multilayer scene.

When I play the game, I don't worry about the number of times I die. I just try to get as many kills as I can and even when my team is losing I try to compete with my teammates to be the guy who gets the most kills.

By the way, the game has two-co op modes you can select from the "playlist." I played one of these modes a couple of times and found it less intense but as much fun as the cut-throat deathmatch mode. Basically, you and another human controlled player take on a lot of AI controlled units. They designed special missions for this co-op mode that are based on the settings of the regular levels. Check it out if you haven't.

Something else I noticed is "The Lab" where they sometimes implement experimental rules, like classic team vs team deathmatch but with only RPGs.  :)

Thanks for the tips and the information. I'm about to try this out now.

Lethevich

Despite the average reviews, this is a very good game. It somehow manages to be faithful to the original, despite being in 3D free-roaming city distrcts rather than a 2D platformer. The grappling lets you move around in the same way Spiderman does, and it doubles as a weapon, a quick way to pick things up, etc. The graphics really make the game - very detailed environments, good variety of areas and enemy types and the dialogue and plot is fun because of how over-the-top hardassed it is.
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

ibanezmonster

This one is completely different from the first two Jet Motos. Extremely fast, unrealistic physics, and I just won on two different tracks holding down the gas pedal all the way through and turning.  ??? Part of the game strategy is literally hovering over the walls while turning. It's fun, though.

lisa needs braces

You're quite the retro gamer, Greg.

I remember playing Jet Moto 1 or 2 back in 97 or 98.

DavidW

I've been playing Sam and Max Season 1.  Favorite quote so far "your unbridled cynicism is like a breath of fresh air in the subway." ;D

ibanezmonster

Quote from: -abe- on June 04, 2011, 03:59:01 AM
You're quite the retro gamer, Greg.

I remember playing Jet Moto 1 or 2 back in 97 or 98.
Yeah, I still have some of the early PS games, like Jet Moto and Twisted Metal 2 (Singeltrac games), among others. Me and my little brother were playing Jet Moto and I decided to try a rom of 3.

I'm unable to play stuff that is somewhat new because of my laptop's limitations and my parents not buying a new-generation system, but... if I move in with my friend, I'm sure he'll buy a PS3 or XBox 360, and I might get a couple of games. Probably Fallout 3 and Bioshock to start with.

Have there been any good Japanese RPGs within the last 5 or so years (stuff on the new generation systems)? I haven't heard of any, sadly.

Coco

The English hack of Mother 3 came out in 2006, if that counts, but you haven't played EarthBound through have you?

ibanezmonster

Nope. I gave up on that village area not far from the beginning, where I couldn't get past the gangsters. That's about the time when I decided to absolutely not play any games for a while. I may resume, but I don't know when.

I'm looking for something with the graphical capabilities of a new system, but a JRPG, or close to one. And something good, because I get the impression that FF is dying.  :-\

lisa needs braces

Have you ever played Deus Ex, Greg?

ibanezmonster

Nope. But I looked it up and it looks like an FPS (or is it an FPS with RPG elements)?
Why is it that nowadays so many games are FPS or war games? It's like they're taking over the market.

lisa needs braces

Quote from: Greg on June 04, 2011, 06:26:45 PM
Nope. But I looked it up and it looks like an FPS (or is it an FPS with RPG elements)?
Why is it that nowadays so many games are FPS or war games? It's like they're taking over the market.

Yea, it's an FPS with RPG elements. I downloaded it through Steam a while back ago, stuck in the second level. It's a game that's really adored to this day by the people who played it when it originally came out. Thought you'd be familiar with it.

As for your question...it's simple: gaming companies are running out of ideas. It's as if all the ideas for games have already been conceived and new systems can only offer prettier iterations. I mean, if it isn't a war FPS, then it's a zombie one or a sci-fi one.