What game are you playing?

Started by DavidW, May 09, 2010, 04:07:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavidW

Yeah like grinding in rpgs... oh I hate that!  And for every game that featured unique, interesting varied levels like Super Mario Bros 3 there are ten games that are just cut and paste.

Coco

If there was a game that mixed modern dynamic play, a charming, engrossing story and well-designed graphics that won't look horrible in 10 years, then I would play it. I think I dislike games that go for "realism" in general as that realism is always relative and doesn't hold up well. But now games are designed to be replaced in a year by endless expansion packs and new graphics i.e. Modern Warfare 2898b. Because who cares about longevity?  ::)

DavidW

I agree with you that many games show a poor or nonexistent visual aesthetics.  As you can see I love extra credits because I'm going to post this: ;D

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/extra-credits/3201-Graphics-vs-Aesthetics

I really don't like the brown, bland aesthetic of many modern shooters too.  The shooters I do like visually though are the Bioshock and Crysis games.  They both manage to use a richer color palette and avoid the excessive use of brown. ;D  In particular Bioshock went into alot of effort to make a 50s esque setting.

Lethevich

One of the many annoying things about Duke Nukem Forever was how much of a pointless brown 'em up it turned out to be compared to the original. Bulletstorm was another that went in the right direction, Brink too. Not super bright, but pretty and with a coherent style and colour palette.
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

ibanezmonster

NBA Live 08

This is probably the "newest" basketball game my computer can run. Very fun, but I can't win because the controls are so insanely difficult to memorize and master, even with my custom control setting. What I like doing is setting up a simulation to make it as realistic as possible.
No create a player feature, though... not good.

Rinaldo

Quote from: Coco on August 14, 2011, 02:36:10 PM
If there was a game that mixed modern dynamic play, a charming, engrossing story and well-designed graphics that won't look horrible in 10 years, then I would play it.

Okami.

ibanezmonster

Almost everything will look horrible in 10 years, though... just the nature of technology.

Probably the exception would be anything that is cell-shaded or from a Super Nintendo/Sega Genesis console (for example, Super Mario World or Sonic). That's because, unlike, say, PS1 games, they aren't trying to look realistic and end up failing. 

I'd like to see games get as realistic as real life one day (Crysis can be pretty close sometimes), but also still have many different art styles depending on the game.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Greg on August 14, 2011, 04:52:02 PM
NBA Live 08

This is probably the "newest" basketball game my computer can run. Very fun, but I can't win because the controls are so insanely difficult to memorize and master, even with my custom control setting. What I like doing is setting up a simulation to make it as realistic as possible.
No create a player feature, though... not good.

Greg, have you played the NBA 2K11? I've heard good things about it. I've been a fan of this franchise since the first 2K game, which was on Dreamcast I believe.

ibanezmonster

Quote from: Mirror Image on August 14, 2011, 07:45:39 PM
Greg, have you played the NBA 2K11? I've heard good things about it. I've been a fan of this franchise since the first 2K game, which was on Dreamcast I believe.
I wish I could. I also hear that it's one of the best basketball games ever. Maybe if I can convince my friend to get that and a PS3 sometime before long, we'll have an NBA (pretend, so what?) "season" this year instead of a lockout.  ::) :D

I read a youtube comment where some guy says that they should have David Stern on the cover of NBA 2K12, and no gameplay. I'm thinking it would be extra funny if he were holding a basketball and had a smug look on his face, looking at you while money is raining in the background. Then you can have the all of the regular options in the main menu, except the "NBA Season" and "Play Now" options would be greyed out. You can practice alone in either a playground or a gym, but you have to have bodyguards surrounding you. The franchise is mainly about realism, so why not?  8)

Coco

Quote from: Philoctetes on August 15, 2011, 01:53:31 AM
The Splinter Cell series of games.

Probably not. Not into shoot'em-ups.

ibanezmonster

I've played a demo of (i think) the original Splinter Cell. It was the beginning where you were on a train.
Freaking impossible to beat the demo... anyways, it's more like Metal Gear Solid, I think.

ibanezmonster

Ah, okay. I've never played the full Metal Gear Solid, either- just the (long) demos of the first one and another one. I liked the gameplay, and I think it was the first one to be a "spy" or "stealth" or whatever-type game. I think Splinter Cell came after that, and I've never heard of the Thief series.

ibanezmonster

Quote from: Philoctetes on August 15, 2011, 07:45:32 PM
Metal Gear Solid was never a 'spy' or 'stealth' game. Although, many folks did try to sell that line.
Then the course of the game must have changed after the demo section. I don't remember ever using my gun- if I did, I'd be dead.

DavidW

Quote from: Philoctetes on August 15, 2011, 07:45:32 PM
Metal Gear Solid was never a 'spy' or 'stealth' game.

Yeah it's really a soap opera! ;D 

But kidding aside, the Metal Gear Solid games are better than stealth games, they are shooters that you can play as stealth games or as shooter games.  You can also play it as kill 'em all, or only use tranq darts or some combo in the middle.

Lethevich

http://www.youtube.com/v/eTlWBtz62Z0

I am not doing quite as badly as this guy :3

Also, Firefall is coming into open beta soon and looks amazing. Free to play, no buying power and so far is looking more fun than most for-pay games.

DavidW

ibanezmonster

Quote64 Hanafuda: Tenshi no Yakusoku
64 Ozumo
64 Ozumo 2
64 Trump Collection: Alice no Waku Waku Trump World
AI Shogi 3
Air Boarder 64
Animal Crossing
Bakuretsu Muteki Bangai-O
Bakusho Jinsei 64: Mezase! Resort O
Bass Hunter 64
Bass Rush: ECOGEAR PowerWorm Championship
Bomberman 64 (JP, 2001)
Centre Court Tennis
Choro Q 64 2: Hachamecha Grand Prix Race
Chokukan Night: Pro Yakyu King
Chokukan Night: Pro Yakyu King 2
Custom Robo
Custom Robo V2
Daikatana
Dance Dance Revolution Disney Dancing Museum
Densha de Go! 64
Derby Stallion 64
Dezaemon 3D
Doraemon: Nobita to Mittsu no Seirei Ishi
Doraemon 2: Nobita to Hikari no Shinden
Doraemon 3: Nobita no Machi SOS!
Duke Nuken: Zero Hour
Eiko no Saint Andrews
F-1 World Grand Prix
F-Zero X
F-1 Racing Championship
Famista 64
Fushigi no Dungeon: Furai no Shiren 2: Oni Shurai! Siren-jo!
G.A.S.P!! Fighters' NEXTream
Getter Love!!
Goemon Mononoke Sugoroku
Hamster Monogatari 64
Heiwa Pachinko World 64
Ide Yosuke no Mahjong Juku
Iggy's Reckin' Balls
Itoi Shigesato no Bass Tsuri No. 1
J-League Dynamite Soccer 64
J-League Eleven Beat 1997
J. League Live 64
J-League Tactics Soccer
Jango Simulation Mahjong-do 64
Jikkyo GI Stable
Jikkyo J. League: Perfect Striker
Jikkyo Powerful Pro Yakyu 4
Jikkyo Powerful Pro Yakyu 5
Jikkyo Powerful Pro Yakyu 6
Jikkyo Powerful Pro Yakyu 2000
Jikkyo Powerful Pro Yakyu Basic-ban 2001
Jinsei Game 64
Kira tto Kaiketsu! 64 Tanteidan
Last Legion UX
Mahjong Horoki Classic
Mahjong Master
Mario no Photopi
Masters '98: Haruka Naru Augusta
Morita Shogi 64
Mortal Kombat Mythologies: Sub-Zero
Neon Genesis Evangelion
New Japan Pro Wrestling: Tohkon Road Brave Spirits
New Japan Pro Wrestling: Tohkon Road Brave Spirits 2, The Next Generation
Nintama Rantaro 64 Game Gallery
Onegai Monster
Pachinko 365 Nichi
Parlor! Pro 64: Pachinko Jikki Simulation
PD Ultraman Battle Collection 64
The Powerpuff Girls: Chemical X-traction
Premier Manager 64
Pro Mahjong Kiwame 64
Pro Shinan Mahjong Tsuwamono 64: Janso Battle ni Chosen
Puyo Puyo Sun 64
Puyo Puyo~n Party
Rakugakids
Robot Ponkottsu 64: Nanatsu no Umi no Caramel
Saikyo Habu Shogi   
San Francisco Rush
SD Hiryu no Ken Densetsu
Sin and Punishment: Hoshi no Keishosha
Stunt Racer 64
Super B-Daman: Battle Phoenix 64
Super Robot Spirits
Super Robot Wars 64
Susume! Taisen Puzzle Dama: Tokon! Marutama Cho
Tamagotchi 64: Minna de Tamagotchi World
Taz Express
Tetris 64
Turok: Rage Wars
Ucchan Nanchan no Hono no Challenge: Denryu Ira Ira Bo
Virtual Chess 64
Virtual Pro Wrestling 64
Virtual Pro Wrestling 2: Odo Keisho
Wayne Gretzky's 3D Hockey
WCW Nitro
Wonder Project J2: Koruro no Mori no Josette
Yakochu II: Satsujin Koro
Zool: Maju Tsukai Densetsu
I still have quite a few N64 games left before I have every single one ever published... these are the ones I need to find next...

Well, my plan is to buy this:
http://www.amazon.com/May-Flash-Controller-Adapter-Nintendo-64/dp/B002B9FIUU/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1314030991&sr=1-1

which enables you to connect up to 2 N64 controllers to your laptop. Then, I'll get a connection to my TV and play as if it were a normal Nintendo 64.  :)

Lethevich

Quote from: DavidW on August 22, 2011, 10:03:23 AM
Ha!  That reminds me of the bear Condemned 2 vid!

Woah, that is neat - hadn't seen it before :3

I just saw a preview of Space Marine, and this may be the first Warhammer action game licence that hasn't been a letdown for me. It has some of crunchiest combat I've ever seen, and yet looks very fluid too. Next up: waiting for independent reviews of Deus Ex 3 that haven't been bought out by the publishers.

ibanezmonster

This is very fun.
The whole purpose of the game is to go around, destroying buildings within a time limit. Although in style it's nothing like it, it has the same feel for fun as Katamari Demacy.