What game are you playing?

Started by DavidW, May 09, 2010, 04:07:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavidW

Quote from: Mirror Image on September 19, 2011, 01:54:02 PM
I'm really looking forward to playing the newly remastered Shadow of the Colossus on PS3.

Sony exec 1: Now that we've eliminated ps2 compatibility in ps3s let us resell the biggest sellers on the ps2!

Sony exec 2: Brilliant!!

MI, why are you looking forward to replaying a game you've already played on upscaled graphics?  I paid $5 to play that game, now it's going to be what $40-60?

DavidW

I'm still playing DE 3, but Gears of War 3 releases today.  Darn I game too slowly.

Mirror Image

Quote from: DavidW on September 20, 2011, 05:06:25 AM
Sony exec 1: Now that we've eliminated ps2 compatibility in ps3s let us resell the biggest sellers on the ps2!

Sony exec 2: Brilliant!!

MI, why are you looking forward to replaying a game you've already played on upscaled graphics?  I paid $5 to play that game, now it's going to be what $40-60?

I heard the playability is much more smoother, which the original was pretty rough around the edges, plus I NEVER played Ico. It will be nice to see all the improvements that were made to it this time around. I'll probably wait until it comes down in price from $40. I could probably get it second-hand if I just wait on it.

I'm one of those people who can either fall head over hills for a game or it can just have a total negative effect on me. There's no inbetween. Shadow of the Colossus was one of those games I never got tired of, because I feel in love with it instantly. Not many games have done this for me, but this one had me from the very beginning, especially when you fight the first colossus. Donkey Kong Country and Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest, both for the SNES, were two games I loved instantly and I still continue playing to this day. The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess is another game I continue to play over and over, because I love it. It's an engrossing experience. I really can't explain it.

ibanezmonster

Finished Half-Life 2.
I ended up keeping the invincibility that I had from the online save files, because I wanted to get the game over with and didn't feel like being under stress.
The ending was one of the most incredible things I've ever seen. If you can bypass some of the outrageously difficult parts, it really is one of the best games ever made.

Lethevich

Replaying Thief 2 (I still refuse to play 1 as it's too scary) - it's still super enjoyable.
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

Rinaldo

Quote from: Lethe Dmitriyevich Pettersson on September 22, 2011, 10:18:10 AM
Replaying Thief 2 (I still refuse to play 1 as it's too scary) - it's still super enjoyable.

One of my all time favourites. I love the world it conjures and its aesthetics, both visual & aural.

The company that did Human Revolution is working on a fourth installment in the series.. I wonder if they'll be able to retain the original vibe.

Lethevich

I must say, though, the original Thief games can be somewhat confusing. Take this:

This map is unusable to me. The character knows his way around, after all, it's his home quarter, but the repetetive textures make memorising the layout myself a nightmare. I'd have greatly preferred to take a hit to the realism and get a "you are here" marker ;)

Good news about the DE4 sequel, I hope they don't feel the need to "streamline" it.

Rinaldo

Quote from: Lethe Dmitriyevich Pettersson on September 23, 2011, 09:59:28 AM
I must say, though, the original Thief games can be somewhat confusing. Take this:

Oh, the good old "where the hell am I?" map. I sort of liked that approach back in the day but yeah, it WAS confusing.

QuoteGood news about the DE4 sequel, I hope they don't feel the need to "streamline" it.

Actually, it's a Thief sequel - I've phrased it wrong. They're keeping it under wraps so far.

Lethevich

Oh, I see. I haven't even played Thief 3 yet :-\ I really should work on that :)

Rinaldo

Quote from: Lethe Dmitriyevich Pettersson on September 23, 2011, 01:22:49 PM
Oh, I see. I haven't even played Thief 3 yet :-\ I really should work on that :)

Thief 3 has its moments.. but if you find the first one scary, then you should definitely stay away from The Cradle - voted as one of the scariest levels in videogame history.

Lethevich

Aww not fair. Even the bug-guys in Thief 1 freaked me out.

Lethevich

Thief 2 spoilers follow:

The first time I played the eavesdropping level (where you go into the Mechanist church and listen in on how they make the robots when the bell chimes), at one point in the conversation this line comes up:

"A most unfortunate guttersnipe who waits just outside."

The first time I played when I heard this I thought that it was scripted for me to be discovered listening through the door so ran like hell, so I have never heard the rest of the dialogue - but this time I remained and it turns out there was another character in behind the door that they were referring to and the dialogue continues. Hehe :)

ibanezmonster

I just started Planescape: Torment.  8)
I really never liked the whole point & click style (you know, Baldur's Gate, Starcraft, Warcraft, etc.), but it seems to me to somewhat of a visual novel in a way. The conversation with Dhall was interesting. Now I'm on my first mission.

Rinaldo

Quote from: Greg on September 25, 2011, 05:01:11 PM
it seems to me to somewhat of a visual novel in a way.

Prepare to be blown away.

Lethevich

Josquin des Prez

Its not that confusing. All you have to do is draw your own map. I used to do that all the time in Daggerfall, and Thief was a lot easier in that respect. Great game BTW, one of the absolute best. Too bad Thief 3 sucked ass.

Geo Dude

I'm going on a Mario marathon in preparation for the release of Mario 3D Land next month.  I've recently ran through Mario 64, 3, NSMB on Wii and DS and I'm currently working on 2 and Super Mario Land.  Will start the Galaxy games next.

Coco

Quote from: Geo Dude on October 13, 2011, 04:44:10 AM
I'm going on a Mario marathon in preparation for the release of Mario 3D Land next month.  I've recently ran through Mario 64, 3, NSMB on Wii and DS and I'm currently working on 2 and Super Mario Land.  Will start the Galaxy games next.

No love for the Paper Marios? u_u

Geo Dude

Quote from: Coco on October 13, 2011, 06:18:42 AM
No love for the Paper Marios? u_u

I don't have those on hand.  Come to think of it, I also need to complete Mario RPG!

Mirror Image

I'm going to make one more purchase this year and it is this game:

Can't wait to play it. I've been waiting many years for a new Wii Zelda game to come out.