What game are you playing?

Started by DavidW, May 09, 2010, 04:07:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LKB and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

lisa needs braces

Battlefield 3 went live here on the East Coast two hours ago. It feels quite different from the Battlefield game "Bad Company 2" in terms of movement. Your character more heavier and more bound by gravity. It actually feels like you're running instead of skating, and the sound is spectacular.  I'm playing the game's most neglected mode--death match--to get used to it.

Tapio Dimitriyevich Shostakovich

I hope my new PC will soon be delivered. It'll be an Intel Core i7 Sandybridge 2600K 4x 3.40 GHz based computer with enough RAM and a GTX580 GPU and -yay- I'll install Win7x64 onto an SSD, which will hopefully be fun. The only thing I couldn't buy is enough time for gaming.

lisa needs braces

Quote from: Tapio Dmitriyevich Shostakovich on October 25, 2011, 12:48:03 AM
I hope my new PC will soon be delivered. It'll be an Intel Core i7 Sandybridge 2600K 4x 3.40 GHz based computer with enough RAM and a GTX580 GPU and -yay- I'll install Win7x64 onto an SSD, which will hopefully be fun. The only thing I couldn't buy is enough time for gaming.

That's going to be a beast of a PC. It would run BF3 like a dream. :)

Unrelated, here is a great SC2 match from this past weekend's Blizzcon. It's the final game in the championship series and it's quite epic and entertaining:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrQ-_qDnekI&feature

lisa needs braces

And here's a much shorter Protoss vs Protoss match (recorded from the perspective of one of the players)  that shows just how skilled professional players can be. The comments might spoil the result:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GyKYoQgiYHs

Mn Dave

Oh no! I am playing computer games again!

Civ III, role-playing, board and card games.

Lethevich

Quote from: -abe- on October 25, 2011, 03:36:44 AM
That's going to be a beast of a PC. It would run BF3 like a dream. :)

Unrelated, here is a great SC2 match from this past weekend's Blizzcon. It's the final game in the championship series and it's quite epic and entertaining:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrQ-_qDnekI&feature

That one just made me cross. I am not usually a conspiricy theorist, but WTF was NesTea doing - players as good as him don't do that.
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

Mirror Image

Going to trade in some Wii and PS3 games that I don't ever play and buy this:

[asin]B002I0F5M8[/asin]

Lethevich

http://www.youtube.com/v/Xx38tIF_3Ps

Ignore the horrible voice. The second clip is beautiful Q__Q

Rinaldo

Got a chance to spend three hours with Skyrim. Customizable dual-wielding is ace.

Mirror Image

Purchased this tonight:

[asin]B002I0F5M8[/asin]

Traded in 5 games I never play and wound up with a $65 in-store credit, so I paid nothing for the game and still have a $5 credit. I'll probably trade in some more games and hopefully I'll get enough credit to get Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword.

Mirror Image

Wow....

[asin]B002I0F5M8[/asin]

I played this game for three hours last night, which is something I seldom do, but I couldn't help myself. This game is outstanding so far. The graphics, the gameplay, and the whole atmosphere is fantastic. Unlike Arkham Asylum, Arkham City is free roam, which I think helps the game much more. You're not confined to one area. This game has 500 something trophies as well and not to mention all of the side missions. I would wager this game is definitely game of the year, but Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception and Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword haven't been released yet. Those two games look very promising.

Anyway, Arkham City is the first Batman game I've played that made me really feel like Batman. Can't wait to start playing it again.

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 31, 2011, 08:21:15 AM
Wow....

[asin]B002I0F5M8[/asin]

I played this game for three hours last night, which is something I seldom do, but I couldn't help myself. This game is outstanding so far. The graphics, the gameplay, and the whole atmosphere is fantastic. Unlike Arkham Asylum, Arkham City is free roam, which I think helps the game much more. You're not confined to one area. This game has 500 something trophies as well and not to mention all of the side missions. I would wager this game is definitely game of the year, but Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception and Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword haven't been released yet. Those two games look very promising.

Anyway, Arkham City is the first Batman game I've played that made me really feel like Batman. Can't wait to start playing it again.

I consistently hear positive comments on this game, and let's hope the new Zelda is good, Nintendo has been hurting, sales are way down.

Mirror Image

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on October 31, 2011, 09:18:49 AM
I consistently hear positive comments on this game, and let's hope the new Zelda is good, Nintendo has been hurting, sales are way down.

The look and feel of Arkham City has really impressed. I haven't been this positive about a game since Super Mario Galaxy, LittleBigPlanet, and Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess. The first installment, Arkham Asylum, was decent but so much has been corrected, improved, and added that it clearly is left in the dust. The graphics are also much better this time around. I've recently hooked up my PS3 using an HDMI cable so I could play in high definition and this has greatly improved my experience.j

All of this said, I'm not a big gamer, but there are always a few titles that come out through the year that look interesting to me. Both Uncharted games so far have been really fantastic, let's hope the third installment is just as good.

By the way, what systems do you own Greg?

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 31, 2011, 10:24:21 AM
By the way, what systems do you own Greg?

Used to own an XBOX360, but sold it shortly after I had my son, had no time to play it, so I've just been sticking with computer games. It's a shame because I've been missing some great titles.

Mirror Image

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on October 31, 2011, 11:26:40 AM

Used to own an XBOX360, but sold it shortly after I had my son, had no time to play it, so I've just been sticking with computer games. It's a shame because I've been missing some great titles.

I never have liked the Xbox 360 or any Xbox system. I've always been a loyal Playstation and Nintendo fan. I've heard a lot of people who have had issues with the Xbox (i. e. red ring of death). Playing games on a PC just never felt right to me. I do like to play the occasional chess game on my computer though.

Tapio Dimitriyevich Shostakovich

Quote from: Lethe Dmitriyevna Pettersson on October 26, 2011, 08:46:59 PM
http://www.youtube.com/v/Xx38tIF_3Ps

Ignore the horrible voice. The second clip is beautiful Q__Q

It became pretty fashionable to fully investigate the users computers to watch out for copyright infringements etc. Here EA's origin.exe at work as logged by Sysinternals Procmon... I know file searches etc. induce a lot of file IO,,, but anyway, that origin.exe seems at least "curious". Usually you'd call that "spyware".

http://www.youtube.com/v/6lGUOFjMuQA

lisa needs braces

I heard EA just copied its entire American EULA for Germany and is now in conflict with that country's software laws.

Anyway, regarding the game itself, turns out the IRNV scope is pretty over powered:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBUKpwkXTj0

It would be cheating if a lot of people weren't also using it.

Mirror Image

I've been playing this...

[asin]B002I0F5M8[/asin]

Played this game for about 2-3 hours last night and I have say this game is amazingly well conceived. When Arkham City came out and was receiving one rave review after another, I was, needless to say, pretty skeptical. I thought perhaps this is one of those cases where the game magazine critic overhype machine was in full steam ahead mode. When I sat down and started playing AC, I was immediately impressed with how fluid the controls were. Whether I was running, walking, using the grappling to latch onto a building, it was done responsively and in a smooth motion. This alone gets a big plus from me. This engaged me, as a gamer, to continue playing the game. The graphics are the second thing I noticed. The city and overall atmosphere is dark and dingy just like it is in the comic books and movies. I really feel like Batman in this game. The first game Arkham Asylum achieved this, but not to the effect this game has. Honestly, the first game and this game shouldn't even be put on the same level. This one blows it's predecessor out of the water. This game certainly is one of those rare games that live up to that notorious media hype.

Lethevich