What game are you playing?

Started by DavidW, May 09, 2010, 04:07:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rinaldo

Cart Life.

To quote Electron Dance:

QuoteCart Life depicts life as a street vendor. Each of the three playable characters (only two available in the free version) have a different business and a different life. This is the crucial point. Cart Life breaks out of its narrow confines as a "retail simulation" and bulldozes into bigger questions about personal ambition, determination and work-life balance.

Lethevich

A WTF moment: I was looking into some games I was vaguely aware of but knew nothing about (scouting for what to play next), and when reading up on Enemy Zero (an obscure Sega Saturn survival horror), it turns out that the soundtrack was specifically written by... Michael Nyman ??? It's the same guy, and apparently he only agreed because he had his arm twisted, but it's pretty cool. More games should throw some of their massive budgets at getting real music written for them, as in many instances it's still quite lacking.
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

Rinaldo

Quote from: Lethevich on March 11, 2012, 05:41:54 AM
A WTF moment: I was looking into some games I was vaguely aware of but knew nothing about (scouting for what to play next), and when reading up on Enemy Zero (an obscure Sega Saturn survival horror), it turns out that the soundtrack was specifically written by... Michael Nyman ??? It's the same guy, and apparently he only agreed because he had his arm twisted, but it's pretty cool. More games should throw some of their massive budgets at getting real music written for them, as in many instances it's still quite lacking.

Oh, if only. There are masterpieces here and there (Outcast is one of my favourite OSTs across all modern media) but so much dull rubbish trying to emulate the Hollywood oomph. And I really wish developers / producers started digging into the classical archives - so many re-usable gems there that are so cheap to license!

stingo

I've found this recording very enjoyable...

[asin]B005QW1FB0[/asin]

Josquin des Prez

Quote from: Rinaldo on March 11, 2012, 08:32:42 AM
Oh, if only. There are masterpieces here and there (Outcast is one of my favourite OSTs across all modern media) but so much dull rubbish trying to emulate the Hollywood oomph. And I really wish developers / producers started digging into the classical archives - so many re-usable gems there that are so cheap to license!

Speaking of old gems, for those who may not know, there is a place where you can buy old games at low cost, all fixed up and ready to work on modern machines:

http://www.gog.com/

Its a great repository for forgotten treasures.

Josquin des Prez

Here's an interesting review to one of my favored games of all times:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuuWxlj0EZM

This rageholic guy has some anger management issues, but he is on the mark most of the times.

Rinaldo

Quote from: Josquin des Prez on March 11, 2012, 02:36:30 PM
Here's an interesting review to one of my favored games of all times:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuuWxlj0EZM

This rageholic guy has some anger management issues, but he is on the mark most of the times.

Indeed he is. I love all three Thief games (and hope the fourth one will manage to retain at least a fragment of the series' charm) but Metal Age is my favourite as well. The world it conjures is one I could explore for endless hours. Just hearing the brief string interlude that plays in the Docks (and which reminds me of Busoni's Nocturne Symphonique, btw).. goosebumps, every single time.

Lethevich

Is it wrong that I prefer #2 soley because #1 is too scary for me :P

Josquin des Prez

Both games are masterpieces in their own right and they are pretty much largely identical. And yes, Thief 1 has some truly terrifying moments. 

Thief 3 i consider to be the lesser game but its still entertaining.

Rinaldo

Quote from: Lethevich on March 13, 2012, 01:01:13 AM
Is it wrong that I prefer #2 soley because #1 is too scary for me :P

That is a thoroughly valid reason as well.

Tapio Dimitriyevich Shostakovich

Lands of Lore - Throne of Chaos. Still luvin' it.

Lethevich

Wheey, an oldie! :)

In related news, I just contributed to the Wasteland 2 Kickstarter. More than many of these prospective projects, finally a Kickstarter offers the potential for a real game, and a valuable addition to the medium.

Mirror Image

A game I'm seriously looking forward to...

[asin]B0050SXLQC[/asin]

drogulus

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

DavidW

Nobody here is outraged by the Mass Effect 3 ending!?  No discussion at all!?  C'mon people, put the old nostalgia games aside for a second and play something new. ;D

Mirror Image

Quote from: DavidW on March 26, 2012, 05:21:41 PM
Nobody here is outraged by the Mass Effect 3 ending!?  No discussion at all!?  C'mon people, put the old nostalgia games aside for a second and play something new. ;D

Dave, why do you keep deleting your profile?

Lethevich

Quote from: DavidW on March 26, 2012, 05:21:41 PM

I elected not to play it - as much as I like a good story-driven experience, it seems to have become too much of a contrived excuse for an intergalactic romance simulator. While that kind of stuff is optional, it was given such weight of importance by both the fanbase and devs that it sometimes seemed that this was all they cared about. The ending in some sense might have been a sign of that :P

Edit: this is the most reasonable article on why the ending sucks that I've bumped into so far:

http://doycetesterman.com/index.php/2012/03/mass-effect-tolkein-and-your-bullshit-artistic-process/

Edit: by coincidence, two in one day:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBETU-uOGh8

I didn't really care about the matter before, but it does iffy.

Lethevich

Rinaldo

Playing Legend of Grimrock, a modern revival of the dungeon genre, and as you can see

I'm having a blast. A must-have for old school gamers.

Lethevich

I hadn't played any of the predecessors, and was fully expecting this to be incompehensible fan service, but I was surprisied at how playable it looks, even the combat. I pre-ordered and will give it a go when it comes out/I have time.

In related news, there are now kickstarters for Shadowrun and a Gabriel Knight 1 sequel.