What game are you playing?

Started by DavidW, May 09, 2010, 04:07:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stingo

Playing the original Mass Effect for the first time. Good game.

Lethevich

Quote from: stingo on April 06, 2012, 07:38:50 AM
Playing the original Mass Effect for the first time. Good game.

I kind of wish they would (optionally) patch out the item management that they streamlined in later games - it's a bit of a hassle in the original. It's a really good experience, though, and I love that impossible to control buggy thing.
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

stingo

Quote from: Lethevich on April 06, 2012, 07:51:07 AM
I kind of wish they would (optionally) patch out the item management that they streamlined in later games - it's a bit of a hassle in the original. It's a really good experience, though, and I love that impossible to control buggy thing.

Agreed - especially when it's spread out over 6 or so different characters.

I've yet to flip the buggy but that's not through lack of trying. :)

Still trying to figure out squat tactics though.

Jaakko Keskinen

Returning to Dragon age origins, I love that game!
"Javert, though frightful, had nothing ignoble about him. Probity, sincerity, candor, conviction, the sense of duty, are things which may become hideous when wrongly directed; but which, even when hideous, remain grand."

- Victor Hugo

DavidW

Quote from: Alberich on April 08, 2012, 12:19:59 AM
Returning to Dragon age origins, I love that game!

Awesome!!

I played much more of DE Human Revolutions and I got way further than I did before.  I used an augments guide though to make sure I didn't choose duds and got the best ones to be able to explore.  I really enjoy hacking in and reading through emails, and finding strange routes, I also like using the social aug in conversations to always score a win.

But what I don't like are the combat intensive sections which are too linear and time intensive if you want to use stealth.  It takes three times longer to move unseen through these levels than it does to just simply kill everyone.  There was one point where I was extracted by helicopter, and presumed that I would have a break from the main storyline, but was instead immediately pushed to another linear corridor crawl.  These two types of gameplay really stand out as being at odds with each other!!

For me the hacking, exploration and probing conversations are full of win, so much so I would like the game more if I could actually play that way throughout the whole game.  DE: HR is a bit too hard for me, but I do appreciate it more than I do... but I'm casual about playing games and this game is for gamers.

Lethevich

@David: I think you would like the original - it hasn't aged amazing well, but it's eminently playable. The augs are less balanced (and less important) than in DE3 so might be worth looking up first - also the combat is so terrible that stealth is the preferred option in every area.

Lethevich

Not playing, but watching: the IPL4 Starcraft 2 finals. It's creepy to think that two young kids are making career-changing decisions within the space of just an hour or so - the difference in prize money between first and second place is $13,000 (edit: actually $24k difference it seems - winner is 40).

lisa needs braces

Quote from: Lethevich on April 08, 2012, 08:59:52 PM
Not playing, but watching: the IPL4 Starcraft 2 finals. It's creepy to think that two young kids are making career-changing decisions within the space of just an hour or so - the difference in prize money between first and second place is $13,000 (edit: actually $24k difference it seems - winner is 40).

How has your laddering been going for that game? I've peaked as a Plat Toss and a Gold Terran.  :(

I would have to exert a lot of effort and sweat to raise my skill to Diamond and beyond. I'm trying to do daily exercises on this map ( http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=124983 ) so hopefully I can make the jump to Diamond finally.

Lethevich

Quote from: -abe- on April 10, 2012, 01:58:51 PM
How has your laddering been going for that game? I've peaked as a Plat Toss and a Gold Terran.  :(

I would have to exert a lot of effort and sweat to raise my skill to Diamond and beyond. I'm trying to do daily exercises on this map ( http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=124983 ) so hopefully I can make the jump to Diamond finally.

I gave up around gold, I wasn't finding it fun to play at all, so currently I just watch. Once my PC is in a happier state I am probably going to focus on Tribes as something to really build skill at, as it was mostly the indirect control that I didn't like with SC2, or RTS in general, but was hoping I could overcome it.

lisa needs braces

Gaming while listening to classical. Yay or nay?  :D

Lethevich

Quote from: -abe- on April 15, 2012, 08:40:26 PM

It was the only thing that made WoW enjoyable while I played it -_-

lisa needs braces

ibanezmonster

Quote from: -abe- on April 15, 2012, 08:40:26 PM
All depends...

Tapio Dimitriyevich Shostakovich

Quote from: Rinaldo on April 05, 2012, 07:21:01 PMPlaying Legend of Grimrock, a modern revival of the dungeon genre, and as you can see

I'm having a blast. A must-have for old school gamers.

I also play it, got it from gog.com, lovely and difficult afaics. Currently searching for a key like crazy...

BTW, as for usage of magic: Do I really need 3 clicks? 1. Rightclick Hand 2. Leftclick speel 3. Rightclick the big button in order to cast the spell. ??

DavidW

I've been playing Silent Hill: Downpour and really liking it.  Puzzles, atmosphere and baddies you can either attack or simply run away from!

[asin]B003O6G47U[/asin]

ArmA II combined Ops. Getting it from Steam. Very curious about that kind of Genre (Tactical Shooter).

Lethevich

I am tempted by Arma 2 mostly for an online-mode zombie mod being made for it - kind of like Stalker but with permadeath.

Edit: http://crudepixel.com/2012/05/oh-my-dayz/

Ugh, pretty difficult to learn, but I was prepared for that. I played it in 1920x1200 on pretty high settings and ohh... - fans are permanently working (GTX-570 here).

lisa needs braces

No excitement for Diablo III?  ???

Lethevich

Non :( It's made by a completely different design team and doesn't seem as fun as D2 - with free alternatives like Path of Exile, and the botched lack of multiplayer, it doesn't seem worth paying for.