What game are you playing?

Started by DavidW, May 09, 2010, 04:07:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stingo

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 20, 2012, 03:46:54 PM
Anyone going to get the Wii U? I know you're probably not Geo Dude since it hasn't been long since you bought a PS3. :)

Probably not - not that it's not a good system, I just have a huge pile of shame (unplayed games) and Steam's Holiday Sale will definitely add to the pile.

Mirror Image

Quote from: stingo on November 20, 2012, 03:48:58 PM
Probably not - not that it's not a good system, I just have a huge pile of shame (unplayed games) and Steam's Holiday Sale will definitely add to the pile.

Really? Not at all? Hmmm....I think once I see some more goods on the table, I may take the plunge in March. A new Legend of Zelda title will, no doubt, help me make a decision.

But, like you, I have many games that I haven't completed yet. I'm still trying to beat LittleBigPlanet! :) That's how much I play video games. When I was a kid, I played them a lot more than I do now, but there are so many other things I'm interested in that take up much more time than video games.

Geo Dude

I'm somewhat interested in Wii U but as you noted I bought a PS3 about six months ago and have the backlog of games I own and backlog of games I need to buy to worry about... :P

That said, what I really want to do is wait a little while and see how the game library pans out.  Nintendo insists that this is the console they're going to use to try to bring back the hardcore gamer crowd and I want them to put some real effort into demonstrating that before I shell out.  Don't get me wrong, I love my Wii, but much like the GameCube (and N64 for that matter) one really does have to search out the gems amongst the shovelware and I'd like to see them back up their claim.  (Come on Metroid Prime 4.... :D)

Speaking of Zelda, playing through Okami really has me hankering for some Zelda awesomeness.  I suspect that I'll be buying OOT 3D next month so I can ease the withdrawal symptoms.

EDIT: 1Up has a great article which ties well into the Wii U library comment in my post.  Some great ports certainly wouldn't hurt.  Also, speaking of Metroid Prime...

stingo

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 20, 2012, 04:03:51 PM
Really? Not at all? Hmmm....I think once I see some more goods on the table, I may take the plunge in March. A new Legend of Zelda title will, no doubt, help me make a decision.

But, like you, I have many games that I haven't completed yet. I'm still trying to beat LittleBigPlanet! :) That's how much I play video games. When I was a kid, I played them a lot more than I do now, but there are so many other things I'm interested in that take up much more time than video games.

As far as I know, Bayonetta 2 is slated to be a Wii U exclusive. That might be able to get me to purchase the system.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Geo Dude on November 20, 2012, 05:02:56 PM
I'm somewhat interested in Wii U but as you noted I bought a PS3 about six months ago and have the backlog of games I own and backlog of games I need to buy to worry about... :P

That said, what I really want to do is wait a little while and see how the game library pans out.  Nintendo insists that this is the console they're going to use to try to bring back the hardcore gamer crowd and I want them to put some real effort into demonstrating that before I shell out.  Don't get me wrong, I love my Wii, but much like the GameCube (and N64 for that matter) one really does have to search out the gems amongst the shovelware and I'd like to see them back up their claim.  (Come on Metroid Prime 4.... :D)

Speaking of Zelda, playing through Okami really has me hankering for some Zelda awesomeness.  I suspect that I'll be buying OOT 3D next month so I can ease the withdrawal symptoms.

EDIT: 1Up has a great article which ties well into the Wii U library comment in my post.  Some great ports certainly wouldn't hurt.  Also, speaking of Metroid Prime...

Yeah, the Wii was pretty much a disappointment from a gaming perspective. All the gamers had to wait until the next Mario or Zelda adventure to come out just to justify owning the system. Too much junk and not enough solid titles. The system itself was quite good, but I don't think it was the best Nintendo has to offer. Hopefully, the Wii U will deliver more games that will keep fans anticipating their every move.

Re: Zelda

Did you ever play Twilight Princess? For me, this is one of the greatest games of all-time. I absolutely hated Skyward Sword. I thought this was weakest game in the series. It certainly was too gimmicky as you had to have a Wii Motion+ attachment in order to play the game. A definite disadvantage to the overall gaming experience.

Geo Dude

I had the benefit of picking up Wii late in the game which meant plenty of great stuff was out but I have read from gamers who were waiting for a long period of time between say Mario Galaxy 2 and Xenoblade (one of the few third party works of brilliance) and Donkey Kong to...well....like you said, there were long dry spells.

I have Twilight Princess on GameCube and I've played a little but never properly ventured into it.  I'm really missing OOT and will likely head into Twilight Princess afterwards.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Geo Dude on November 20, 2012, 06:28:07 PM
I had the benefit of picking up Wii late in the game which meant plenty of great stuff was out but I have read from gamers who were waiting for a long period of time between say Mario Galaxy 2 and Xenoblade (one of the few third party works of brilliance) and Donkey Kong to...well....like you said, there were long dry spells.

I have Twilight Princess on GameCube and I've played a little but never properly ventured into it.  I'm really missing OOT and will likely head into Twilight Princess afterwards.

Twilight Princess starts off slow, but give it time. It's like one giant metamorphosis. It goes from stale to non-stop action where there's so many things to do. It will keep you busy for awhile.

stingo

Steam's Autumn Sale has begun! Darksiders II is available at a substantial discount, and XCOM is a 33% off. There are other deals - these are the two I took most interest in.

Mirror Image

Just bought:

Bought the deluxe set which you can checkout what it comes with here: http://www.nintendo.com/wiiu/buynow/

The beautiful thing about this sell is I got 20% of the system because at my place of employment we get a one time only discount on anything in the store. Some people may put this discount towards a television, iPads, etc., but I felt the Wii U is what I wanted to use this discount on since it's something I've wanted since I heard it was going to be released. It already comes with a game, NintendoLand, but I'm definitely going to be buying New Super Mario Bros. U.

Geo Dude

Glad to see that you picked it up!

This thread reminded me that one of these days I need to get around to downloading Majora's Mask on the Wii.  I've actually never played it. 

Meanwhile I continue to love Assassin's Creed 2.  I'm loving all the history they've worked into the game that you can find out about just by clicking.  I'm a fan of this period of history anyway and odds are that this is going to drive me to picking up a book or two on the subject when I can find something that fits the bill.  I also love the expanding world and all the different things I can do.  Hell, I love spending time just admiring the architecture.  Speaking of architecture, I have put some serious effort into infrastructure at the villa (I sacrificed more advanced weapons and armor entirely until I had everything in the Villa maxed out) and it is paying off!  Things only get better as I buy extra weapons, armor, paintings, etc. since they create a feedback by adding value when I purchase that stuff.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Geo Dude on November 22, 2012, 07:24:57 PM
Glad to see that you picked it up!

This thread reminded me that one of these days I need to get around to downloading Majora's Mask on the Wii.  I've actually never played it. 

Thanks, Geo Dude! I look forward to playing it!

Geo Dude

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 22, 2012, 07:51:27 PM
Thanks, Geo Dude! I look forward to playing it!

I certainly hope you've had some time to play it by now. :P

Mirror Image

Quote from: Geo Dude on November 27, 2012, 08:51:01 AM
I certainly hope you've had some time to play it by now. :P

Nope, I haven't even taken the unit out of the box yet. I hope to set it up and play it in the next couple of weeks. At least before Christmas, that's my goal right now anyway.

ibanezmonster

Postal 2
Really enjoyed this game.  8)

A very cynical game with juvenile humor. The gameplay takes place in five days: Monday through Friday. Each day consists of 4 or so separate missions. One day, you try to get an autograph from Gary Coleman but a shootout happens. Another day, you make people sign a petition to get whiney Congressmen to play violent video games. Another day, you go to the library and a group protesting books ("Burn a book! Save a tree!") burns down the library. There are also scenes where you kill butchers for witnessing that they are throwing live humans into their cutting machines while laughing; where you meet a mascot named "Krotchy" which is just a pair of testicles; another where you piss on your dad's grave, but get abducted by rednecks and made to be a gimp; another where terrorists attack your church after you confess your sins; too much fun!  8)

Since I have a few weeks of no school, I started up Final Fantasy 8... the first 5 minutes work in the epsxe emulator, and the game should keep on working fine. It will take quite a while to beat it, though.

Mirror Image

I've decided to take my Wii U back for a refund. Honestly, I just don't think I'll ever play it. I barely play my PS3 or Wii now. To be honest, I don't think the Wii U will be the next generation console, but I've been wrong before. I just don't see much attention getting paid to the Wii U which a lot of it has to do with so many weak launch titles. There aren't enough Nintendo exclusives that have caught my eye. New Super Mario Brothers U is nothing but a rehash of a rehash of a rehash. The only title that looks good is Rayman Legends and it's not even out yet.

stingo

Finished Assassin's Creed. Started Assassin's Creed II. What a leap forward in the series.

TheGSMoeller

"The Walking Dead" on Ipad. Great game design, plays like an episode of the TV show, you have to make decisions that affect the actions and thoughts of AI characters with you, sometimes given mere seconds to make a decision such as who to save during an attack, or how to respond to someone's question. The atmosphere is the right amount of creepy, along with great sound editing, especially on headphones. And above-average to great voice talents which is always a must when having to listen to characters talk so much.

I think it's available on some other platforms such as XBOX and PS3, and it just won Game of the Year on Spike TVs VGA...not that means anything other than just a little bragging rights.

Mirror Image

I was at a mall today and there was some Nintendo Wii U people demonstrating the system and it's capabilities. Kind of glad I returned mine now. The system doesn't seem that impressive to me. It doesn't have much going for it and the lack of the Nintendo exclusives during the system's launch was just disappointing to me. I know, I know if I waited around more games would come out eventually, but Nintendo had a weak launch this time around IMHO. I'll reconsider the Wii U once I see some heavy hitters hit the market.

mc ukrneal

Quote from: stingo on December 09, 2012, 03:22:01 PM
Finished Assassin's Creed. Started Assassin's Creed II. What a leap forward in the series.
I only ever played II, but what an amazing game. It just gets bigger and bigger and the graphics are phenomenal.
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Mirror Image

Never thought much of the Assassins Creed games. One thing that always bothered me about the game were the controls. You can have a visually nice looking game all day long, but if the mechanics of the game are poorly executed, then the game is a failure IMHO.