What game are you playing?

Started by DavidW, May 09, 2010, 04:07:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mc ukrneal

Quote from: Mirror Image on December 10, 2012, 08:02:01 PM
Never thought much of the Assassins Creed games. One thing that always bothered me about the game were the controls. You can have a visually nice looking game all day long, but if the mechanics of the game are poorly executed, then the game is a failure IMHO.
Never had an issue myself once you learned what was what, which admittedly took a little while. Once I got it, boy was it fun.
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Mirror Image

Quote from: mc ukrneal on December 10, 2012, 08:16:05 PM
Never had an issue myself once you learned what was what, which admittedly took a little while. Once I got it, boy was it fun.

I'm very critical of video games. I can play a game in 10 minutes and if my reaction to the gameplay is negative then I'll probably never return to it. In all honesty, there have only been a handful of games that I have thoroughly enjoyed playing and continue to play to this day.

Rinaldo

I never warmed to Assassin's Creed but I applaud its ambition and I did enjoy exploring Istanbul in Revelations.

Right now, I'm playing the Karateka remake, a small but enjoyable game.

mc ukrneal

Quote from: Mirror Image on December 10, 2012, 08:30:54 PM
I'm very critical of video games. I can play a game in 10 minutes and if my reaction to the gameplay is negative then I'll probably never return to it. In all honesty, there have only been a handful of games that I have thoroughly enjoyed playing and continue to play to this day.
Wow! I give them at least an hour, often substantially more before evaluating them. But I don't buy that many games either. Some are fun right away, but can't sustain that interest. On the other hand, some games start slow, but then get hugely fun as you get into it.
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Mirror Image

Quote from: mc ukrneal on December 11, 2012, 06:19:11 AM
Wow! I give them at least an hour, often substantially more before evaluating them. But I don't buy that many games either. Some are fun right away, but can't sustain that interest. On the other hand, some games start slow, but then get hugely fun as you get into it.

There are some games I have more patience with like for example one of my favorite games of all-time The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess started off real slow, but it did finally pick up and it was an amazing gaming experience. The only reason I gave the game more rope is because it's Zelda. I make special exceptions for this series. This said, I HATED Skyward Sword. I thought it was quite possibly the worst Zelda game I ever played, although Majora's Mask was right up there with it.

stingo

I typically go through 2 play throughs - the first gets a bit into the game and then stops. I eventually return to the game, start a new session from scratch and wonder why the first playthrough was so much more difficult.

CaughtintheGaze

Same boat. Plus the end of the second one is truly epic and had me rolling. It was a really fun game.

Geo Dude

I never had an issue with the controls in 2, myself.

Geo Dude

In today's gaming news Mass Effect was blamed for the mass shooting and Bioware was harassed on Facebook.

Ironically I just bought a copy of the Mass Effect Trilogy for PS3.  I'm currently playing God of War 3 while I wait for Mass Effect to arrive.  I've been curious about how the story plays out for five years (since God of War 2 came out) and I have to say, while some may criticize the game play for being simple hack-and-slash they really nail down the presentation.  The music is great, the graphics are impressive, and the art style itself is beautiful.  It really builds a world around you and leaves you on the edge of your seat.

Geo Dude

I'm almost finished with God of War III and really enjoying it, though -- and this will seem an odd statement about a God of War game -- there's a bit too much combat for my taste.  Don't get me wrong, I understand that the combat is a fundamental part of God of War's formula, but there are times when I think 'okay, okay, enough with the combat, I want to get back to getting things done!'

Mirror Image

Quote from: Geo Dude on December 18, 2012, 10:17:45 AM
I'm almost finished with God of War III and really enjoying it, though -- and this will seem an odd statement about a God of War game -- there's a bit too much combat for my taste.  Don't get me wrong, I understand that the combat is a fundamental part of God of War's formula, but there are times when I think 'okay, okay, enough with the combat, I want to get back to getting things done!'

Personally, I never cared much for the God of War series. Not enough adventure for me, but, then again, these games are just button-mashers to me anyway. Not particularly fun to play. Mentally, these games are dumbed down and aimed at the lowest common denominator (no offense BTW). Just my general assessment.

Geo Dude

Quote from: Mirror Image on December 18, 2012, 10:20:50 AM
Personally, I never cared much for the God of War series. Not enough adventure for me, but, then again, these games are just button-mashers to me anyway. Not particularly fun to play. Mentally, these games are dumbed down and aimed at the lowest common denominator (no offense BTW). Just my general assessment.

If I was to base my assessment of the game entirely on the game play (some of the puzzles and more challenging enemies with good AI aside) I would agree with you.  My main interest in the God of War series is in the storyline and the world building and music, though some of the QTE stuff is a lot of fun, too.  That's why my biggest complaint is an over-abundance of the basic button-masher combat.  I can see why it wouldn't have enough adventure for you, though, it is quite linear.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Geo Dude on December 18, 2012, 10:32:41 AM
If I was to base my assessment of the game entirely on the game play (some of the puzzles and more challenging enemies with good AI aside) I would agree with you.  My main interest in the God of War series is in the storyline and the world building and music, though some of the QTE stuff is a lot of fun, too.  That's why my biggest complaint is an over-abundance of the basic button-masher combat.  I can see why it wouldn't have enough adventure for you, though, it is quite linear.

The linearity of the game doesn't bother me. I love the Uncharted series and it's very linear and one could argue one-dimensional, but it plays out like a movie, which in the 2nd and 3rd installments made it even more linear in scope. The first game was more open, but I really enjoyed the adventure of it all.

Geo Dude

Quote from: Mirror Image on December 18, 2012, 11:30:37 AM
The linearity of the game doesn't bother me. I love the Uncharted series and it's very linear and one could argue one-dimensional, but it plays out like a movie, which in the 2nd and 3rd installments made it even more linear in scope. The first game was more open, but I really enjoyed the adventure of it all.

Ah, I see what you mean.  Seeing as you like the feeling of adventure/cinematic elements, how do you feel about the Metal Gear series?

Mirror Image

Quote from: Geo Dude on December 18, 2012, 01:07:17 PM
Ah, I see what you mean.  Seeing as you like the feeling of adventure/cinematic elements, how do you feel about the Metal Gear series?

I liked the first one on PS1, but lost interest in the series after MGS: Sons of Liberty. Haven't bothered keeping in touch with the series. This new one they're working on looking pretty...ah....dumb.

CaughtintheGaze

Dragon Age II

Thus far enjoying it more than the first.

CaughtintheGaze

Beat Dragon Age II. Extremely enjoyable. Better than the first, in my opinion. Really cannot wait until the third. Hopefully it doesn't go the way of KOTOR III.

Lethevich

Recently played a lot (but only finished a few): Dishonored, Demon's Souls, Planetside 2, Dragon Age: Origins, Embric of Wulfhammer's Castle, Metro 2033, Pathologic
Recently played but gave up on or didn't have the patience for: Europa Universalis III, Syberia, Skyrim, Hitman: Blood Money

Quote from: Mirror Image on December 18, 2012, 04:12:21 PM
I liked the first one on PS1, but lost interest in the series after MGS: Sons of Liberty. Haven't bothered keeping in touch with the series. This new one they're working on looking pretty...ah....dumb.

Same for me - I freaked out as a kid over how good the first MGS was.
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

Rinaldo

Quote from: Philo on December 20, 2012, 04:08:38 PM
Beat Dragon Age II. Extremely enjoyable. Better than the first, in my opinion. Really cannot wait until the third. Hopefully it doesn't go the way of KOTOR III.

Given the fact that Old Republic turned out to be a financial catastrophe, the chances of Dragon Age venturing online are quite slim.

Just finished the second ending of Waking Mars (on PC), brilliant game! Developed by ex-Looking Glass folks (notably Randy Smith and Terri Brosius) and it shows.